1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Weird events log

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Rifleman5.56, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Rifleman5.56

Rifleman5.56 Chieftain

Okay, I spent the better part of two days trying to figure out how to get the mod up and running (turned out I just needed to download 7zip :rolleyes: ), and now it does run.

However, there's this weird thing, that I can only assume is the events log, that makes it nigh unplayable by taking up a huge portion of the screen. Here's ye olde screenshot:

C:\Users\Drake\Pictures\Civ Weirdness.png

Is it a problem with my computer, or am I doing something epically wrong with the mod? I was REALLY excited to play this, and still am, but it's kinda hard when I can't see half the screen. :cry:

EDIT: How the crap do I post pictures on here?! Kinda makes it hard to diagnose the issue!

2. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

There is a Manage Attachments button that you can use to attach pics (it is in a section named "Additional Options").

3. Rifleman5.56

Rifleman5.56 Chieftain

And here be the weirdness. What's up with this?

Attached Files:

4. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

You're on Windows Vista or above (so Vista, 7 or 8) and have Civ installed within 'Program files(x86)', which is an OS-protected area. When BUG tries to write out its option state (to a sub-directory of the mod folder) it gets access denied errors from Windows.

Easiest fix is to 'Run as Admin' when you start BtS.

5. Rifleman5.56

Rifleman5.56 Chieftain

Well, that worked beautifully! Thanks! I have now experienced the joy of having a War Elephant get attacked by a pigeon.

Follow-up - I unexpectedly got a new computer two days ago, and have already installed Civ (priorities!) before anything else. Is there a way to avoid this issue - that is, should I not install Civ into Program files(x86)? I'm not very tech-savvy, so I don't really understand all of it.

6. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

Do not install it in the default location. Make a new folder that is not inside any other folder. Call it anything you want. Like, perhaps, "Games". Install there. Like it says here.

This removes the issue you had so you don't have to run as Administrator or anything like that.

7. Rifleman5.56

Rifleman5.56 Chieftain

Too late for that. Would it work to simply transfer the entire thing over to a different folder?

I probably sound like an idiot.:lol: :crazyeye:

8. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Chieftain

Generally speaking, Windows really doesn't like it when a user does that. It would be much safer to uninstall/reinstall if you really want it somewhere else.