?weird? late materializing northern land

lord42

Prince
A question.
Has anyone else seen this, a large land formation materializes on the north pole after you hit the modern age {science guy changes from toga to lab coat}. It consists of jungles with many gems. I built a city there and it had maxed out science, taxes, luxuries, food, pollution, and shields while having a population of one. What the heck is this thing?
In an case the city happens to be very beneficial to my empire. Battleship production is one day!

What difficulty level were you playing?
What civilization?
On Earth?
On a custom map?
Sounds interesting, I've not seen it.

Found this on another thread on the subject:

Happened wihen you reached a large pop, triggered by show score menu. The breakdown of score apparently wrote beyond the end of score data area, and into map data area, starting with coord 0.0, north pole.
So: land started to show up round the pole. Had the same graphic as grassland. I never settled those areas, since at that stage, I was more busy waging wars, but supposedly, the land gave some weird amounts of food/shields, around 100 or so per square. I guess pollution would be brutal.

Just having too large of a population will cause the score data to become to large and start to overwrite the land starting at the north pole :)

This is a known bug in the DOS version of Civ. I got it almost in all my games. Be careful when settling that land, though, it sometime crashes your game, especially if you put a city close to the pole. :ack:

Didn´t notice it in WinCiv yet, and I think it also depends on the DOS Civ1 version you use.
:D

I'll have to try it now.
I guess the way to go would be to irrigate and railroad all of the American continents.

ac ac...is more like it...as in the sound of coughing because the macs are making you dumber by the minute :)

I was looking at disks the other day..good old 3 1/2 " floppies and I saw some Mac Formatted w/an arrow pointing towards the side to go in...macintosh was the thing that stood out.

I also saw the book Macs for Dummies....boy..they REALLY know their target audience don't they! :D

:D :D :D :p ;)

It was on a custom map. I was playing on warlord and it just happened. I don't think it's dos related though because I'm runing it on xp.
The pollution is terrible but the city goes beyond 31 pop count so you can build huge numbers of settlers!
Also a city that builds a battleship in 2 turns is extreamly useful.

Well...what version of Civ is it? If you have to choose setting when you start it off (eg, color mode and sound mode) then it's the DOS version running in XP :)

Ive seen this bug a lot (on various maps , especially earth). My flatmate and I used to play "population challenge" againts each other and this bug would ruin it every time. I think the highest pop we ever got without a crash was somewhere in the order of 300+ million. I would imagine like gonzo says that its a memory overwrite problem dependent not on the population figure reported but on the number of actual citizens you have.
You can get it without making a visit to the score screen too, though that does seem to encourange it for some reason.
The Amiga version didnt have this bug (it was just damn slow). I havent seen it in WinCiv, but thats only cos WinCiv invariably starts crashing long before I get to that level of population (maybe the same error?)!

Top Bottom