Welcome New Members

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ainwood, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Arawyn

Arawyn Chieftain

Hello. Been lurking here for years and decided to make an account at last! :)

2. Xelanexdar

Xelanexdar Chieftain

Hello peoplez. I only got into the Civilization series with Civ4 when it was released. I am afflicted with a terrible curse known as a 'st00pid comp00tuh'. As a result, I can only play Civ 5 every Saturday on my friend's computer :wallbash:. Someday, when I have enough pocket money, I'll buy myself a decent computer which will be hidden in a half-eaten custard cream by the time I can get my hands on one.

Anyway, I plan to use what little time on CiV I have to start modding. In fact, I'm partway-through a making my first mod now (a Viking civ with a DoM image derived from C. Roland's Harald Hardrada leaderhead). My inability to play on days other than Saturday makes me :mad:, 'cuz I can only do the XML files and the artwork.

So, yeah. Heil! (Old Norse 'heil', that is)

3. Thander

Thander Warlord

Hi everyone,

The first time I came across Civ series was with Civ 3. I remember there was a big hoopla when it came out, but I was still into real time strategy at the time. I did try out the demo, but it felt slow to me and I didn't know what I was doing.

The first turn-based strategy I played was Rome Total War. Thinking back, I didn't think it would be a good game, but I had a gift certificate from a relative for my birthday and there weren't really any good games out that I wanted. I bought it on a whim. It was a great game, but the AI players were pretty bad. I saw numerous discussions about how much better Civ 4 AI was compared to Rome AI.

I was finally ready to play a true turn-based game. Civ 4 impressed me for the amount of depth in the game. Most strategy games I played I finished within the first month or two. I had a great time playing them, but they didn't last all that long. Civ 4 was different. The more I played, the more I learned. I also read lengthy discussions by fans on the best "moves" to make. Even a couple years after playing the game, I still felt like there was stuff to learn.

And now Civ 5 came out. With Civ 4 anytime I did a Google search, someone else had asked that question and a knowledge person answered it. Civ 5 is still new whenever I was searching for an answer, not much was coming up. I decided I should register, so I could get help from other players. Maybe I will be able to help others as well.

4. goat9092

goat9092 Chieftain

HEY EVERYBODY ! PLEASE HELP !

I came over from Civ III and cannot find what should be obvious: How do you spend gold for technologies??? I've got a ton of gold accumulated but can't spend it. The button is probably there but I'm just not seeing it.

A more modest problem: If you garrison a warrior in a city, how do you wake him up again.

Your help will be much appreciated.

- goat.

5. Vortilex

Vortilex Imperator Mundi

Hey y'all :band:

@goat: you can't spend gold to research a technology. You can devote more money to it by sliding the flask to the left or right, but you can't speed up a tech.

To wake a warrior garrisoned in a city, just click on him. Hope that helps :)

6. popeye777

popeye777 Chieftain

Hi everyone.

I've been reading the civfanatics forums for a couple of weeks now. Since I can play civ at work :), I satisfy my addiction by reading strategies...

7. m1kee50

m1kee50 Chieftain

Thought I would say hello... my names Matt, from East London. I've been playing Civ since Civ2 and have signed up to get some advice on map modding

8. tagbuck

tagbuck Chieftain

Hi, instant wow...there are so many fans here...

9. WhigViewofCiv

WhigViewofCiv Chieftain

Well I've lurked for almost a year now, so it's time to pony up and post. I've played Civ since 2 and am playing (with mixed feelings) 5 right now.

I feel I need to establish my "one more turn" cred, so here it goes. I caused a kitchen fire playing Civ II. I set a pot on the stove and went back to finish building the Pyramids or something. Pot boiled, boiled all the water away, and caught fire. :run: My parents were rather pissed.

10. loveofcountry

loveofcountry Chieftain

11. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

That's a good thing, right? ;)

Welcome all!

12. MrKilliT

MrKilliT Chieftain

Hello! CiV ftw!! Fix the bugs and it will be GOTY in 2011... :D

13. Grathian

Grathian Chieftain

Just wanted to say hello :)

I have played civ ...since CIV2. But have not been active in here ... but here I am.

14. Tidycpc

Tidycpc Chieftain

Hi people

Just joined your excellent forum....Looking forward to everything i will find on the forum.

Played civ 3 but mostly civ 4.....got civ 5 now and thought it's time for me to join the forum.

Thanks for all the info...

15. rav009

rav009 Chieftain

hello
    i like civ3

16. Mars_GE

Mars_GE Chieftain

Hi all,
    Just purchased my first Civ game, Civ 5. Have (had?) the AoE series, Empire Earth, and Rise of Nations - those were real fun.

This is my first turn-based game, and so far I like it. Less "anarchy" (if you can call it that) than the AoE and EE series, and more strategy, as each move across the game must have some planning.

A friend of mine had Risk II on his laptop (jesus - that was almost 10 years ago) and I played that a lot. That's what comes to mind when I play this game.

My first observation: Nebuchadnezzar is a jack***, and every game I've played so far has Japan as one hell of a dominator.

Look forward to some discussions!. So far every question I've posed on Google points me back to this site, and that's why I signed up.

- Joe

17. Furrow

Furrow Chieftain

Hello,

I am from Paris, France.

Played civilization since the first one until civ4.

Looking for strategies, mods, maps, ...

Thanks

18. AcousticBruce

AcousticBruce Chieftain

Hello folks. This is great to such such a big community.

I am new to CIV and am playing civ IV and probably will stay here with this one.
    I am even learning new words and learning a little history... so its good for my brain

:)

Mike Bruce

19. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Welcome. :)

20. d3vilf15h

d3vilf15h Chieftain

Hi :) Civ freak from croatia reporting in, been scavenging the forums for a while, but since ciV is out decided to reg :)