Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

Is there anyone here able to play this map without having to wait for ages until the next turn? If so, could you tell me your specifications?

Is there anyone here able to play this map without having to wait for ages until the next turn? If so, could you tell me your specifications?

Specs don't really matter that much as there is a limit within the civ engine itself.

As Kai makes clear in the FAQs the giant map naturally runs slower than other games. Personally even towards the end of games I never have to wait more than 2-3 minutes, but for some this is considered a long time.

The 1940 scenario will start slower than others as the whole world is populated, with the standard start the fastest as each civ has only a settler to start off with.

I have 1.87Ghz, 3GB Ram and 8400M GS graphics laptop, so pretty average. I'm reliably informed that any more would not help, although any less than 2GB ram is going to hinder. If you are experiencing crashes then look under tha FAQs on the first page of this thread for the MAF fix. Bringing the graphics down to medium will also help.

Mostly it's RAM which affect to speed.

I have to wait something 5-10 minutes (never counted) between turns, when game years is something 1500-2000 AD.

But while waiting next turn i watch TV or play guitar or something.

Wait time between turns is little price if compared to how great this map is.

If you want play with another leader just go to privatemaps subfolder in Giant Earth Map folder. Then open map where you want to change leader via notepad.

Then, for example, if you want to change american leader just write america in search (ctrl+f) and it takes you to team0 which in this situation (at least in modern resources- map) is american. Then just replace LeaderType with another leader. Be sure that you write those correctly, otherwise map will crash.

So if you want to replace Roosevelt with Washington, just replace line
LeaderType=LEADER_FRANKLIN_ROOSEVELT
with
LeaderType=LEADER_WASHINGTON

Leaders, and how you write them, can be found in Assets/XML/Civilizations, it's XML file and can be open via notepad too.

Ok, this looks very complicated, i'm very bad in explain soemthing :lol:

That helps a lot, cheers :goodjob:

Is there a way to close or open slots in a lan multiplayer? When I start a custom senerio with an original map I can close some of the ai slots, but in this map and any other custom maps I can't change any slot to close, open, or ai . Can you guys help out?

Because there is no marsh in GEM.

And it is the only way to represent the high density population of Holland with the Civ4 engine.

Armand.

love this mod genghis would have given up on civ a long time ago if not for this mod.

i love it.

shame about the performance issues from firaxis side.

why is holland a desert?

I would add to the other two responses that the "wetlands" best addresses the terrain there--which you must obviously be familiar with. Play a few rounds and you'll see how well it works--sickness and all, btw! There is a history of the marshy lands, in a specific area, too, I think Walcherin, being notorious for their ill effects.

Till 150 years ago the dutch have been in aveage the smallest people of all of europe due to the disease effects of the marshes. Only due to modern medicine and extraordinary good feeding did they manage to become such giants.

Do you mean Walcheren? in Zeeland? I typed it in on wikipedia but I didn't find anything about diseases, and I've never heard about illness due to marshes in the Netherlands.

Sorry, my typo.
Yes, it was in Zeeland. Apparently the illnesses carried by the mosquitos there has had a negative affect on the native population. I've been trying to find my specific source for this, but I think the original comments were placed in the eighteen and nineteenth centuries. That, at least, was the period studied where the subject came up.

When I find it I will let you know.

OK. "Walcheren Fever" killed 4,000 British troops that were part of a failed attempt to aid the Austrians against Napoleon in the War of 1809. This I got from Answers.com under "Walcheren". Nonetheless, this was the context in which I recalled it, so it's a matter of which one of my few dozen books on the Napoleonic Wars I read it in.
I shoild retract this, however: that although the text itself gave the impression of a people there that were genuinely beat upon by disease on account of the marshes, it might be unfair for me to broadcast that as the full picture of the Netherlands. It did strike me as appropriate that GEM has the marshes there, though, and any floodplain will have ill affects on a habiting population.

Gudinsdiv, it heavily depends on what parts of the netherlands you talk about. The southern netherlands (today Belgium) are situated much higher then the northern parts. Also Groningen in todays Netherlands is in a hilly region -> no marshes.

Though the lower parts did indeed have trouble with diseases and famine. As I already wrote in another post, the dutch have been considered small people at the time of Vincent van Gogh ... and look at them now.

Gudinsdiv, it heavily depends on what parts of the netherlands you talk about. The southern netherlands (today Belgium) are situated much higher then the northern parts. Also Groningen in todays Netherlands is in a hilly region -> no marshes.

Though the lower parts did indeed have trouble with diseases and famine. As I already wrote in another post, the dutch have been considered small people at the time of Vincent van Gogh ... and look at them now.

I'm not going to argue that point. I agree. Locale is the whole gist of the debate. However, the idea of GEM having "deserts" in the Netherlands as a means as providing for a better population boost and a reflection of the existing marshes *in some areas* isn't any kind of slight or inaccuracy IMO. That this is being made such an issue of is a little ridiculous. Do you realize how small the Netherlands is?
Take my state. New Jersey is maybe a square, a little green square that is ungeographically depicted on a North American eastern seaboard that best exemplifies the geography of Washington and New York.
Not that I'm complaining.
I get it.

I suppose the discussion here has at least made me aware of the marches/diseases in Netherlands in the past. I wasn't even aware of that when I chose to use desert + floodplain to represent Netherlands. All I was thinking was that since every continent has some floodplain and if Europe doesn't has any, it seems a bit unbalanced (to me floodplain is a bonus). Therefore, I chose Netherlands to be represented by floodplain.

Sorry, my typo.
Yes, it was in Zeeland. Apparently the illnesses carried by the mosquitos there has had a negative affect on the native population. I've been trying to find my specific source for this, but I think the original comments were placed in the eighteen and nineteenth centuries. That, at least, was the period studied where the subject came up.

When I find it I will let you know.

OK. "Walcheren Fever" killed 4,000 British troops that were part of a failed attempt to aid the Austrians against Napoleon in the War of 1809. This I got from Answers.com under "Walcheren". Nonetheless, this was the context in which I recalled it, so it's a matter of which one of my few dozen books on the Napoleonic Wars I read it in.
I shoild retract this, however: that although the text itself gave the impression of a people there that were genuinely beat upon by disease on account of the marshes, it might be unfair for me to broadcast that as the full picture of the Netherlands. It did strike me as appropriate that GEM has the marshes there, though, and any floodplain will have ill affects on a habiting population.

You're right! I found on the internet that there's been malaria in the coastal regions, and other things until well after WWII. I really didn't know that. And about the geography of the netherlands: there aren't many marshes left. It's mostly grassland with agriculture, and in the east and south some forests, and hills especially in the south.

I suppose the discussion here has at least made me aware of the marches/diseases in Netherlands in the past. I wasn't even aware of that when I chose to use desert + floodplain to represent Netherlands. All I was thinking was that since every continent has some floodplain and if Europe doesn't has any, it seems a bit unbalanced (to me floodplain is a bonus). Therefore, I chose Netherlands to be represented by floodplain.

And I'd just chalked it up to pure genius!:lol:
Great map in any way it took shape.

I'm most impressed with the civ choices you made to include here. The historical/geographical placements are awesome.:goodjob:

Top Bottom