Werewolves MIA in v. 40?

Sarisin

Deity
I've been around since the beginning of FFH and IMO never has a unit/hero been nerfed as badly as the Baron in v.40. The big ole furball has truly been emasculated I think.

I built him in my second game. It took about 20 battles with living units before I got my first Ravenous Werewolf. Great, I thought, there is a barb Goblin nearby - time to upgrade him to a Blooded Werewolf. But, no, he became just a Ravenous Werewolf with a promotion. And so it went. Instead of building a second werewolf army like I often do I had the Baron and 3 Ravenous Werewolves after 100 or so turns. I also had three die in their first combats.

One has nearly 100 XP, the other two around 50 XP. Still not a Blooded Werewolf in sight and I am fairly certain the Great Werewolf has gone extinct.

I guess I am partly to blame for the Great Nerfing as I often bragged about the billions and billions of werewolves I was able to 'create' in my games in prior FFH versions. But, the pendulum really has swung the other way on this - IMO, a little too far to the point where, at least based on this game, the Baron is a non-factor in the game now.

1. So, is it possible now to even get a promoted Werewolf, or are you stuck with only common Ravenous Werewolves?

2.Do Ravenous Werewolves create other Ravenous Werewolves? I certainly didn't create any - only the Baron seems to have that ability.

3. And, what is with the Ravenous Werewolves getting promotions like Drill, March, etc. when the Baron cannot get those? That doesn't make sense to me.

4. Finally, there must be better middle ground between what it was and what it is now. How about letting the Ravenous Werewolves become Blooded Werewolves on their first successful combat, but reduce the number of Ravenous Werewolves the Baron creates - decrease the odds. Also, instead of randomly creating a Great Werewolf from a Blooded Werewolf, how about making the Blooded Werewolf gain a bunch of XP to be promoted?

Feral Bond used to be a beeline for me in previous versions of FFH. That has changed with this version. ;)

PS. There is apparently still a bug that prevents the Baron from creating Ravenous Werewolves with a Great Commander attached.

Well, ravenous werewolves should become blooded after their first battle. And the written ods of creating a werewolf is:
Baron Duin Half Morn: 25%
Ravenous werewolf: 5%, 100% chance of becoming Blooded Werewolf
Blooded Werewolf: 10%, 5% chance of becoming Greater Werewolf
Greater Werewolf: 15%

In my last game, I had about 8 werewolves, of which 5 were Greater

This is a known bug; check xienwolf's second post in the Bug Thread. Though I'm not sure why it hasn't gotten fixed yet, as it seems like it's just a matter of adding zeroes to some values specifying the werewolf generation rates.

It will be fixed in patch f.

Thanks for the replies and I look forward to patch 'f' however, I note it will break save games. :cry:

One thing that isn't mentioned in the fix is Number 3 above. The Ravenous Werewolves that are created are able to get promotions (Drill, March, etc.) that are not available to the Baron. I don't know if Blooded or Great Werewolves can get these promotions as I have not gotten one yet.

Thank you for fixing this in patch 'f.'

I built Baron Furball and he seems back to normal as do the mechanics behind creating Blooded and Great Werewolves.

Also, I think the strange promotions (Drill, March, etc.) have been removed.

It's fun to play with Lynchantropy again. :D

Well I'd very much like Baron to have access to more promotions. I seem to run out all the time.

Top Bottom