Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Fortis1, Oct 6, 2017.
Be cool, no worries. It's not like you have a Comissar on your back!
I just realised that with my pace, I will get the working .biq from laptop sooner, than re-do it myself, heh.
Imperial citizen, we have been urged by residents of Holy Terra to take a look about your mod project and we can tell that we will follow your work and hope u will finish it correctly. However any lack of enthusiasm, wrong thinking and especially heretical or any blasphemy against God Emperor and Imperium of Man will be checked by Vigil Operatii and your mod project topic will be purged by Imperial Inquisition of any heretical or missleading ways from light of Emperor. On request of High Council of Terra if u dont finish the mod we gonna use exterminatus against it.
May His Imperial justice count in all balance! The Emperor Protects!
hehehe Fortis1 gl
Great undertaking, I hope you will be able to publish this at some point
Okay, finally got .biq. It is a step from playable, so I have chance to finish it this month.
EDIT: And I managed to launch it in debug mod. Still requires lots of tweaks, though.
Wow, between Star Wars and this it feels like Civ3 is getting its well-deserved revival
May Light of Emperor guide you on this endeavor, brother.
=][= The Emperor Protects =][=
Playtesting the scenario. Lots of bugs and balance problems, but nothing game crushing. I hope it goes open-beta soon enough.
Right now I struggle to balance initial ork onslaught and imperial starting units and shield costs.
Ok, if anyone still following. I have almost no time to spend on modding, unfortunately. And it is a shame for me, that I wasn't able to finish this relatively small scenario in 3 years. I guess, the best I can do at this point is to publish scenario as it is. Well, it is playable and orks somewhat behave as they should. At this point I realised that most of the stuff I added is simply redundant. I made several conceptual errors at the very start and the easiest way to fix everything is to start from zero, which I have neither time no wish to do. I will make some cosmetic impovements, finish civilopedia/scripts and publish the files. If I get a vacation by christmas and get home, I will certainly have time to do all of this stuff.
Too bad, well good luck on your personnel life...
Made more playtesting. Results are, actually, better than I imagined. But I want to make some drastic changes:
First of all, I will drastically simplify Orks:
- orks will be unplayable. I will probably leave them playable but only for fun. They won't provide any real challenge;
- I will scrap Ruins mechanic. Despite being interesting idea, it has almost 0 impact on actual gameplay. Shame, but it ended up not being necessary at all;
- I will reduce number of ork units. Graphics is great, but there are too many duplicates. There is no necessety in ork choices if they are unplayable;
- orks will have less technologies. They will have straightforward tree with set number of turns to research a technology;
- almost all orks units will be autoproductable from buildings. Right now AI actively buids differenent improvements. Autoproducing will make it easier for me to control what are they doing.
Second, some adjustments to Imperium:
- in general, I like the Imperium right now. You have fight both ork hordes and scared imperial citzens, who are always tired of war. I have to wisely chose what to build - units, promethium buildings or mood buildings. Generators are important too. Taking promethium to capital is a struggle though. Rough riders are fast, but Orks are faster
- some wonders overhaul. For example, I don't think, that Imperium really needs espionage after all. Despite being fun, Imperial Tarot comes too late in the game to be worth it;
- I will scrap heroes and Distress signa idea. Once again, fun on paper, not so much useful in game. Yarrick, Datne and Horst all will be turned to "great wonders"; Same with Ghazghkull
- I will overhaul tech tree a bit. Orks are getting to Acheron very fast. And I don't want it to be the other way, because there's always action - the exact thing I want. But I am usually barely halfway to Marine Planetfall at this point. So I will make "resque" teches available ealier. Stormtroopers will become universal unit. I will rearrange units between offensive and defensive branches too;
- units seems fine, but I have a few concerns. Hive defence units seems to be too weak. I will either put more of them or make them stronger. Artillery feels a bit too weak for the cost, but I am still in doubt. Valkyrie strafing run barely do any damage. Probably, should increase rate of fire. Mech Regiments are weird with their speed 1. Probably, will decrease their offence, but increase speed and give blitz. I am not sure, if hellhounds have place at all.
Otherwise, so far so good. I will make some more interface graphics - pop heads and advisors and edit some more labels/script, After that, I can go to publlic beta finally. Have to make it all quick before my vacation is over or will stuck of another half of a year.
Best wishes for 2021!
Great to hear news.
Have a good year and stay safe.
Random screenshot incoming!
Scenario is ready 99% graphics-wise. I think, it will take a day or two to finish with the text, clean up mess within files folder and quite a bit of playtesting to make sure that it is at least winnable and works as intended. It will go to open beta after that and probably will stuck there for eternity.
But I am still content. But more on it later.
God Bless your soul...
So, pretty much like every Civ III mod ever made, then...?
I mean, even 'completed' mods like WorldWide, EFZI and CCM are still being routinely rebuilt/ tweaked by their respective creators...
Sure, but they were playable for a long time for now. And I was able to go through a complete game only a month ago. Besides, I never considered my project to be anything global. I remember like 10 years ago I made a global scenario with 300+ units and 256x256 map with 31 faction just in half a year... and was never able to go past turn 10, because the game crushed and was super-slow. I wonder if I should give it another try... And, of course, I had way more time back then. Now I am fully dedicated to modding only when I am at home on holidays.
Anyway, I finally was able to play through the whole 52 turns and win. Labels, scripts and civilopedia are almost ready. But it will take a while to write a proper intoduction, especially with my English skills. So far so good, but there are a couple of things to tweak:
1) The thing I was talking in Q&A thread - orks simply refuse to attack Helsreach. It is not just unfluffy - it makes the game too easy. You can simply sit in Acheron and do nothing. As long as you hold it, you are a winner. I will try different tricks to make it more appealing for Orks to attack;
2) Stormtroopers ended up exploitable and getting a nerf;
3) Reinforcements are still coming too late in the game, now you have to go through just half the branch to get to them.Aircraft will appear earlier too;
4) Rough riders will be reformed in stronger attack units - just enough to go skirmishing and finish off retreating units, as they should;
5) Mech Regiments reformed to defensive units, because I feel like the game really lack fast defensive unit option, while attacking options are redundant;
6) Hellhound will lose collateral damage and gain mech regiment stats;
7) Veteran Tank Regiment will be replaced by Tank Hunters to much Titan Killers of Super-Heavy Regiments;
8) Grot rokkits will receive infinite bombard range, so they are not stuck in single city;
9) Grot Gunz will gain an attack buff;
10) Air Waaagh! (fork flyer unit) will get the bombard range doubled.
Some more screenshots (pics are large):
What was that ten year old scenario about? If you post the files we may be able to help you.
Thank you for the offer, but I can handle it myself now. Just don't think, it is worth the effort. The scenario was about a world war in a fictional universe I created.
Meanwhile, I am finished the civilopedia. Of course, the bughunting there may take a lot of time, so I won't bother now. I really want to release the beta before I return to studying. It lists all the governments, unit abilities, buildings and terrain. Almost no fluff information for now and one which exists is copy-paste from wh40k wiki.
I didn't bother with game concepts since if you started to play the scenario, you already will be familiar with them. Changing every single entry of "happy" to "inspired" and etc. will take too much effort and no one will care anyway. I will make a single new concept entry where I will describe all changes.
The only thing to make is advisors quotes, but I won't bother, probably - I discarded a lot of game mechanics, so no culture or trade. I will just fix scientific advisor, so he will talk about mod's teches, not about alphabet and mysticism. Only testing will be left after that.
Separate names with a comma.