Whales and Whalingboat Development Thread

The usual location is in your documents folder:

~(My) Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS

What you also could do is go into your program files directory, Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization, or wherever Colonization is installed in Program Files, and create a Mods directory there. Civilization IV has one in that location, but for some reason Col does not.

I don't know how much it matters, I think it's just preference, but I find it easier to work in the actual program files directory rather then in the My Games one. (especially since I mod and have access to all the original game files).

Plus, there were problems in Civ 4 when you placed files in the CustomAssets folder in this area. Don't know if that does or does not apply to the MODS folder as well.

I wondered about that, TC01. I have noticed loading a mod sometimes goes badly for no reason, I suspected it was an issue with the game's cache not refreshing; but I will definitely try creating a mods folder in the native folders to see if it smooths down some of the rough loads.

Thanks!

Also... New questions...

1. Can I incorporate this into any other mods, like AoDII?

2. Have you considered animating whaleboats, or adding pots and smoke to make the whaler itself more authentic?

What you also could do is go into your program files directory, Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization, or wherever Colonization is installed in Program Files, and create a Mods directory there. Civilization IV has one in that location, but for some reason Col does not.

I don't know how much it matters, I think it's just preference, but I find it easier to work in the actual program files directory rather then in the My Games one. (especially since I mod and have access to all the original game files).

Plus, there were problems in Civ 4 when you placed files in the CustomAssets folder in this area. Don't know if that does or does not apply to the MODS folder as well.

Mods need to be in the Program Files directory tree, not My Games, otherwise they will not work properly...

Thanks!

Also... New questions...

1. Can I incorporate this into any other mods, like AoDII?

2. Have you considered animating whaleboats, or adding pots and smoke to make the whaler itself more authentic?

1. Yes it can be incorporated.

2. We are still working on all the animations so stay tuned :)

It's been a while, but I've made some changes so let's move on to version 0.03!

As we said, I've added a "fishing boat" unit as well as improvement animations. They're not finished yet, I'm not satisfy yet so I will rework all of them. But at least we can have a good idea of how it'll look.

So Kailric, can you make the fishing boat working on high seas fish only and make them use the improvement graphics while working?

here's the link to v0.03:
http://www.filefront.com/14567553/Whalingboat_v0.03.zip

K, I made some changes tell me what you think. I made it possible to Fish for Coastal Fish by both ships but only if the bonus is outside a City's radius. This can easly be changed if you don't think it should be used. And Fishing Ships can not fish for whales.

I have not added the Improvement Graphics cause at the moment there is no easy way to do this and have it work properly. I think I mentioned doing this but I hadn't thougtht it through. If I remove the unit and add a Fishing Improvement how can the unit be attacked or how can the player cancel the Fishing Boats orders? If we leave the unit there and add Improvement graphics then that will look a bit odd.

The simplest thing to do is to add an animation file for Fishing to the Units but I don't know how to do this. We could add two new Units using the Improvements Graphics and set them to Graphic only. Then Convert the unit each time you give or cancel the command. What do you suggest?

Changes:

-Whaling ships can gather Whales, Hish Seas Fish, and Coastal Fish that is outside city radius

-Fishing Ships can gather Hish Seas Fish and Coastal Fish that is outside city radius

-added command help text for the above new rules

Attachments

• Whalingboat_v0.03 Kailric Changes 1.0.rar
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
I need to add something about Fishing Boat. This ship must not travel to Europe (how small boat can cross the ocean???) and must work at crab bonus tiles too.

I need to add something about Fishing Boat. This ship must not travel to Europe (how small boat can cross the ocean???) and must work at crab bonus tiles too.

Those are sensible suggestions. When I get back home in a couple weeks I can make these changes and post them.

Hey Kailic,

Do you think we could finish this?

It's been a while and I'm not sure what's left to do...

Aymerick

Heya, yeah, I am available to work on this. We just need to figure out where we left off and what needs done next...

Heya, yeah, I am available to work on this. We just need to figure out where we left off and what needs done next...

I thinks it's almost complete, only the animation is missing. So here is a update where I've added the fishingboat and whalingboat "working" instead of the improvement like you said previously. If you could make them switch graphics...

Also, there might be something else but I'm not sure if it's necessary. From what I've seen you've hardcoded the bonuses in SDK, do you think adding a tag like "bFishingboatWorkable" and "bWhalingboatWorkable" in the bonusinfo.xml could work? That's for other modders who would want to add more bonuses...

Attachments

• Whalingboat_v0.03.1c.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 70
Hey, I am working on this now and I installed your download above and got a
Code:
Assert Failed

File:  CvGlobals.cpp
Line:  2683
Expression:  strcmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
Message:  info type IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS not found, Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

Actually, this error is in the old version as well. Its been so long sense I worked on coding though.. can't seem to figure out why this error is here.

Hey, I am working on this now and I installed your download above and got a
Code:
Assert Failed

File:  CvGlobals.cpp
Line:  2683
Expression:  strcmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
Message:  info type IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS not found, Current XML file is: xml\GameInfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

Actually, this error is in the old version as well. Its been so long sense I worked on coding though.. can't seem to figure out why this error is here.

Oups! My mistake... I forgot to replace the old SDK files with the changes I've made...

The right version is here: http://www.filefront.com/15524043/Whalingboat_v0.03.1c.zip

Ok I am trying to figure out just where we left off on this. What changes did you make to the SDK? In your version the whaling ships don't seem to work at all when I give them the command to gather fish but the whaling boats do change to a fishing animation.

Do the ships work on your computer when you give them the command? Also I get the below errors when I load a senerio I use for testing....

Code:
Assert Failed

File:  CvCity.cpp
Line:  4145
Expression:  iValue >= 0 || eYield == YIELD_FOOD
Code:
Assert Failed

File:  CvCity.cpp
Line:  4288
Expression:  (iYield == YIELD_FOOD) || (aiYields[iYield] >= 0)
Edit: Also I get Assert Failed errors when I give them a command to fish..
Code:
Assert Failed

File:  CvSelectionGroup.cpp
Line:  844
Expression:  false
Edit:

K, I see where you added two new units with the animations. I am wondering if we can't just make the boats just use the animations when you give them the command to fish much like you see a Pioneer start to work when you give him a command. I am looking into the files for how animations work but haven't figured out just how they do this...

It would probably be easier if I tell you what changes I've made, right?! ;)

1. I've added 2 new tags in the BonusInfos, "bFishingboatWorkable" and "bWhalingboatWorkable", to replace the "BONUS_HIGH_SEAS_FISH" and "BONUS_FISH" GlobalDefines and I've fixed the "canGatherResource" function to go with those so that other modders could use any bonus they might have added...

2. I started trying to make animations for both fishing and whaling boats but I couldn't figure out how... It's not only the animation the problem but I couldn't add the buoy and nets into those units.

So instead, I've replaced the "IMPROVEMENT" fishing and whaling boats with "WORKING" units and started trying to make the graphic switch based on your Pirate mod when Privateers get a Captain... I managed to "convert" the unit but then the gathering wouldn't work anymore so I stop there not knowing how to fix that...

Check the CvUnit::gatherResource function the the CvUnit.Cpp, this part makes the switch:

Code:
    UnitTypes iUnitType;
    CvUnit* pUpgradeUnit;
    if (getUnitClassType() == (UnitClassTypes)GC.getDefineINT("UNITCLASS_WHALING_BOAT"))
    {
    	iUnitType = (UnitTypes)GC.getDefineINT("UNIT_WHALING_BOAT_WORKING");
    	pUpgradeUnit = GET_PLAYER(getOwnerINLINE()).initUnit(iUnitType, getProfession(), getX_INLINE(), getY_INLINE(), AI_getUnitAIType());
    	pUpgradeUnit->joinGroup(getGroup());
    	pUpgradeUnit->convert(this, true);
    }
I know the easiest way is the get the animation working but we would need to find someone who knows how to do that... Otherwise, maybe you can start where I left...?

Ahh, kk. Well I just finished adding my own tags for "bFishingboatWorkable" etc. in my older version as I didn't know you had added that own your own. All that is working fine and I even added Crabs to the list. I will continue to work with my changes as I know exactly what all I changed ok. So far this is how it works..

1. The SDK has been modded and modders can edit the Whalingboat_CIV4BonusInfos and add in there own bonuses and by using the tags bFishingboatWorkable and bWhalingboatWorkable they can make it possible for these ships to gather sea food resources.

2. Fishing ships units can gather Crabs, High Seas Fish, or Coastal Fish as a food source that are outside city radius

3. Whaling ships can gather Whales and all the above resources as well

4. Two new commands are added Gather Sea Food Resource and Automate Fishing Boat

5. In game help text is added for the new commands listed above.

I will work on adding the animations and when I get that done I will post my work.

Edit: Also, I am thinking about making another mod where Units can gather resources outside a City's radius. I think I mentioned this before so I am coding this with that in mind so to make it easier to add that as well.

well i tried putting this with the AOD2 MOD MOD and it errored when i loaded it so is this not compatable with it?

i thought an earlier post said it was?

or maybe im just doing it wrong?

Top Bottom