What about the Ottomans ?

Dee159

Chieftain
Don't guys think it's a bit weird the Ottomans aren't in the vanilla version ?
I've seen a bunch of people talking of Persia not being included, which is just as weird but some people seem to think it'll be one of the first DLCs. I haven't much about the Ottomans, though they had major a historical weigh in the Middle East ...

Discussed to death already. Many people find it weird, many don't. There's a limited number of civs available at release, and devs chose other ones.

Civ V was the only game where the Ottomans were in vanilla, I don't think their removal was unexpected, but still disappointing.

The lack of an Ottoman Empire (or another Turkish civ) is a major oddity of the Civ VI Vanilla roster given their enormous global impact across centuries. My optimistic side suspects it (and the lack of Persia) may be due to mechanics that were removed or haven't been intoroduced yet, or just not being ready for prime time for other reasons. Here'a hoping for a good eventual rollout.

Another Turkish civ that would be nice to introduce : Timur and the Timurides. LUA : Raze cities, UA : raze cities, UU : good horses to...RAZE CITIES

Another Turkish civ that would be nice to introduce : Timur and the Timurides. LUA : Raze cities, UA : raze cities, UU : good horses to...RAZE CITIES

Actually, when it comes to Timur, while he certainly did do a lot of razing, he typically took the best and brightest of the population of his conquests back to his heartland in Transoxiana, with the result that cities like Samarkand were among the largest and most developed in the world in the 15th century, and in the process sparked a major flourishing of the arts and sciences (the so called Timurid Renaissance). Which could lead to an interesting gameplay mechanic if designed around in that you're attacking other peoples cities in order to make yours stronger (say, you take a proportion of conquered cities population). A "tall but aggressive" strategy.

And of course, as an alternative leader if and when they want to add them, remember that the Mughal rulers were Timurids....

As for the OP, well, I would hope the Ottomans/Turks (I'd prefer the latter so it can include Seljuks, the Sultanate of Rum and possibly even Ataturk leading the modern republic) appear reasonably soon in a DLC/expansion though. Their impact on history was huge and there's loads of potential leaders and idea concepts to work with.

Last edited:
Indeed, Timur could be an interesting gameplay -> razing cities rather than conquering while looting massive amount of culture and technology, or something like that.
As for the Turks, it would be unlikely to have a broad turkish civilization, Ottomans and Seldjuk (both broad empire or Sultanate of Rum) could be associated but modern Turkey of Atatürk really isn't the same than the Ottomans. But I guess we'll probably see another turk or mongol civilization, even though they added the Scythian (who fill a slot for a horse-driven civ).

I wonder if they may save ottomans for the first expansion pack? i say that because we have a missing WW1 tech, I am wondering with BF 1 coming out and a possible renewed interest in WW1 in gaming, could it be possible on of the ottoman leaders would be WW1 based. Along with Austro-Hungry and a new German Leader (Kaiser)

I will admit that i prefer a renaissance ottoman though, in civilization design.

Some of these big name absences will probably be DLC and some of them will anchor the first Expansion pack, for the simple reason that Firaxis know people like these civs so it gives the expansion pack a better profile

Is Civilization somewhat popular in Turkey? Maybe it'd be a Turkey civ with Ataturk as leader? Though, considering Erdogan right now...

It's somewhat popular among gamers i guess. Modern Atatürk Turkey is unlikely. It's safer for devs to choose old civilizations, look at Egypt, it's always ancient Egypt (though they could choose Nasser's Egypt), the same with Persia (and not modern Iran).
I think you're right "bite", probably gonna be part of a big expansion pack. Too bad :/

It's somewhat popular among gamers i guess. Modern Atatürk Turkey is unlikely. It's safer for devs to choose old civilizations, look at Egypt, it's always ancient Egypt (though they could choose Nasser's Egypt), the same with Persia (and not modern Iran).
I think you're right "bite", probably gonna be part of a big expansion pack. Too bad :/

On the other hand, India is the modern state (albeit with some stuff from other civilisations that existed in the subcontinent), Germany pre-Civ 6 was mainly based on the modern state (and Germany in that form isn't that much older than republican Turkey) etc.

I wouldn't expect Ataturk as the first leader for the Turks, but I could see him as a later addition given the variation Firaxis has shown they're prepared to do with emblems, city names, unit skins etc. when it comes to alternative leaders. I wouldn't expect Erdogan, that's a bit too modern, but in the past, and indeed currently with Gandhi, Firaxis have been willing to use leaders from the first half of the 20th century.

I'm excited to see what they bring to the table for the Ottomans. I expect a suzerienty bonus of some sort, since the very word comes from the Ottoman Empire's relations with satellite states. I was very dissatisfied with the Civ V version. Too warmongery.

I guess Ottomans can potentially be religious, culture or warmongering Civ, we'll see what the devs have in store for us, especially with the alternate leaders

Civilization V did not have Spain as a vanilla civ which lead to quit a big outcry. Im pretty sure Ottomans will return someday;)

In the past and When i was younger, when playing Civilization, i always associated Spain with Columbus and New World Exploration. But as of more currently I have been much more excited about Ottoman / Spanish Conflict in the Mediterrrainan.

We get a this kind of focus with Phillip, i hope when Ottomans do get released they are designed with that time period in mind.

ie: battle of Malta in the renaissance, The Battle of Lepanto etc.

Maybe the give Ottoman some sort of religious ability such as can not build missonaries but get all benefits of all religions + extra gold from foregine religions and all cities with a holy districts is converted permamently to Ottomans religion (as long they are controlled by ottomans) and the cities with Ottoman religion pressure like it is a holy city.

Indeed, Timur could be an interesting gameplay -> razing cities rather than conquering while looting massive amount of culture and technology, or something like that.
As for the Turks, it would be unlikely to have a broad turkish civilization, Ottomans and Seldjuk (both broad empire or Sultanate of Rum) could be associated but modern Turkey of Atatürk really isn't the same than the Ottomans. But I guess we'll probably see another turk or mongol civilization, even though they added the Scythian (who fill a slot for a horse-driven civ).

The Ottomans and modern Turkey is essentially the same "civilization" for the purposes of this game, especially since they are direct successors. Much like the Germans covers everything from modern Germany back to at least the HRE, the Chinese through multiple dynasties, the Russians with the Soviets, the English with the British, etc.

I think the Ottomans would make a great addition in an expansion that adds more religious options – would love to seize the "Defender of the Faith" title with these guys.

Top Bottom