What am I doing wrong? Always at the bottom of the score list!

Bonden

Chieftain
What am I doing wrong? Im always at the bottom of the score list when playing MP. I've only been playing mp for a week, but civ my whole life. I produce, expand, advance and discover all I can, I don't let any turns be wasted, but still Im always at the bottom of the score list.

One game I even allied with another player who gave me alot of advances and still I didnt go up on the score list.

What am I doing wrong? Could anyone give me some advice or tips so that I can enjoy the game more and improve myself.

Thanks for any input.

I'm going to leave this here, for now at least. This is an MP problem, after all. ;)

Just remember that MP is quite a bit different from SP. Human players don't act/react the way the AI does. If you've only been playing MP for a week, I wouldn't be too worried. Get more experience, and you should start moving up.

Originally posted by Bonden
What am I doing wrong? Im always at the bottom of the score list when playing MP. I've only been playing mp for a week, but civ my whole life. I produce, expand, advance and discover all I can, I don't let any turns be wasted, but still Im always at the bottom of the score list.

One game I even allied with another player who gave me alot of advances and still I didnt go up on the score list.

What am I doing wrong? Could anyone give me some advice or tips so that I can enjoy the game more and improve myself.

Thanks for any input.

The score doesn't really have anything to do with advances. And if you have to get a lot of advances from another player, of course your score isn't going to be too high. You need to be able to develope a sizeable empire to have a half-decent score. All the while keeping an eye on your military as well- this is multiplayer, after all, and players will go after you if you have a large civ/high score and weak military. That being said, military conquest of other civs is another way to further your score and get yourself some more territory. Many of the single player tips on this site help out as well- you might want to check the war academy for developing your single player game to help you out with multiplayer.

War Academy

Strategy and Tips Forum

Have fun :)

There are only 2 components of score: happy people and territory size.

If your victory condition is highest score, you need to expand rapidly and grab as many luxuries as you can. It often helps to use the entertainment slider.

Originally posted by DaveMcW

If your victory condition is highest score, you need to expand rapidly and grab as many luxuries as you can. It often helps to use the entertainment slider.

You may be worrying about nothing Bonden.

The above scoring system always has distorted scores, particularly early in the game when whether you have a luxury next to your capital or not is important (for the score but not the game as you will only have little towns). And because the score is cumulative you are not gonna catch that up quickly. And because the score is cumulative you rarely see an immediate effect of actions anyway.

Partly because of the above, I would never want to play a game where the only victory condition is score.

More important than score is what you can see on F11, particularly production but others may have their own favourite indicators.

Also you could for example have a big army, which would show up on the power histograph but not in your score. Imagine their surprise when little old low scoring you turns up with 20 immortals:D

Originally posted by DaveMcW

Population and CULTURE are the most important factors I've found in determining score and perhaps city number too.

I usually top on score even if my military isn't worth mentioning as I am always very aggressive in promoting culture and population and hope that my score hides perhaps a lack of troops.

Thanks, this was helpfull information..

I thought millitiray was crucial, I couldnt understand it, I had a huge army and millitary and still I was at the bottom and some were like 200 points over me..I didnt dare attack them because I thought they had to be all powerfull..

Thanks..love this forum and site :)

Still haven't found culture usefull for score...don't know why but even when I'm the most acculturated and deliciuos happy ppl in the world I cant' get to the top. Seems like a big territory makes the job. Whichever player has the biggest land usually has the highest score. Maybe population also helps so watch out not to have a huge land with small towns covering it.

But as prettyvacant pointed out before don't look at the score, check out other details they should be more useful to find out how competitive your nation is (I love to take a look at GNP for example, gives an idea of who can produce quickly and build up a great army for example)

Note that in covering territory its helpful to build some culture in cities so that your cities grow and take up more squares. Culture is essential to getting those extra 12 squares per city. Multi-player has drastically helped my single player game. I recently had a day of multiplayer where I got to play several team games. In those I had the opportunity to discuss with my team various strategies.

On thing tho - in the fast and furious world of multiplayer - especially in those 100 turn elimination games. Make sure you are building those cities on hills and fortifying with walls - that stack of immortals can be game ending in no time. Also build cities close together in elimination too so you can move a massive stack of units to any hot spots.

Don't forget to adjust your happiness slider :)

I had the same problem. To an extent I've learned a lot on my own by just playing, but I have to give credit to the articles in the War Academy section here. Especially the Opening Sequence articles by Cracker. Not all of it translates into the MP games but enough of it does to make a difference.
Oddible's points on the elimination games is key. In elim games I nearly always build cities on hills, always have walls and, if possible have a river between me and the likely enemy approach. Having some catapults around to degrade the attackers is also a good idea.
Civ selection can have a significant effect in the short MP games. I always take a civ with an ancient era UU. You almost never get out of the ancient age and it's nice to be able to get your golden age during the game. An industrious civ is quite helpful too. Given the short format, faster workers can give you a leg up. Since I tend to like a very mobile army I really like Egypt (meets all above criteria). Celts and Persia are nice too.
Though I've never really played them in MP, the aztecs and Zulus alway seem to do well. Fast units probably help with finding those all important goodie huts.

Top Bottom