What am I missing with building canals?

Unless you have battleships.

Or if you play the Shuffle map which likes to create stand alone oceans, stranding all the ships you built early in the first ocean you find.

EDIT:

Related question, does global warming melt the north/south pole glaciers allowing ships to pass?

(Still on my first game and have refused to fire up my first coal plant yet.)

I just finished a game where global warming did indeed melt the sea ice and allowed my until-then trapped ships out into the larger world.

I have yet to build ONE canal... what is wrong with me???? :run:

I just finished a game where global warming did indeed melt the sea ice and allowed my until-then trapped ships out into the larger world.

Yeap, the best canal is CO2. :goodjob:

Canada should take a lesson from this game, and instead of imposing a Carbon Tax, they should impose a Carbon Tax Credit. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Could somebody please explain why I can't build the Panama Canal here?

Spoiler :
20190411205824_1.jpg

My guess would be the canal on the left side would want to connect to city and ocean and NOT also to the wonder.

Correct, the tile next to Pergamon would generate a three-way canal, that is not allowed there.

Same happened to me in the example I was commenting before that I tought was due to reefs: here, I planned to build a canal in the strait next to Jeonju, but saltpeter appeared in one tile (and cannot be harvested to put a district there), and the second tile in the strait is also next to Jeonju, so it would generate a 3-way ccanal and is not an aceptable tile. Unfortunately, I also placed the aqueduct in a tile that would have allowed me to do a 2-tile canal using Jeonju city center...

Missed Canal Opportunity.png

However, from the same game, here Jinju has a channel going directly into a reef tile (it is true that there are "free" sea tiles next to it, but the channel connects right to the reef tile), so I asume reefs are OK as canal enter-exits, but it was unfortunate the saltpeter reservoir blocked channel placement on the previous example.

Reef Canal.png

Correct, the tile next to Pergamon would generate a three-way canal, that is not allowed there.

Same happened to me in the example I was commenting before that I tought was due to reefs: here, I planned to build a canal in the strait next to Jeonju, but saltpeter appeared in one tile (and cannot be harvested to put a district there), and the second tile in the strait is also next to Jeonju, so it would generate a 3-way ccanal and is not an aceptable tile. Unfortunately, I also placed the aqueduct in a tile that would have allowed me to do a 2-tile canal using Jeonju city center...

View attachment 522479

However, from the same game, here Jinju has a channel going directly into a reef tile (it is true that there are "free" sea tiles next to it, but the channel connects right to the reef tile), so I asume reefs are OK as canal enter-exits, but it was unfortunate the saltpeter reservoir blocked channel placement on the previous example.

View attachment 522480

Spot on, learned something today... maybe one day I will build one of these...

I really like having the option to build them even if I will rarely use it. Even back in V I used to settle cities specifically to act as a canal. Improving navy access is a huge improvement to navy itself. I did build a couple in my current game just for kicks. I have a grumpy Harald to my south and being able to move ships in to take potshots at his troops is a nice defense.

Top Bottom