1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What am I missing with building canals?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by PendragonWRB, Apr 10, 2019.

1. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Chieftain

I finally got GS and have had canal envy for quite some time now. Now that I have it, I don't understand the rules for canals. In all my cities save one, I cannot built a canal district. The rules sound really simple, flat land next to a city or a body of water right? What am I missing?

Most of my cities have lots of districts and land improvements, but on open land I should still be able to build a canal right? I am hoping that the Panama Canal wonder is NOT a requirement to build canals.

2. criZp

criZp Warlord

idk man, I can build them fine

3. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Chieftain

My capitol which is on the same coast as the second city can build a canal but the other city cannot. The third image shows two cities also on the coast, neither of which can build a canal.

Attached Files:

4. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

You can only have two canal tiles per city, barring the wonder, and they have to form some sort of connection (between water and water or water and city).

conorbebe likes this.
  5. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Each canal tile needs to be on flat land connecting 2 water and/or city centre tiles, which can't be next to each other.

So in the posted pictures, Tyre could build the canal either SE or NE of the city (although you already have a district NE so can't build there). In the second image, there's no flat land tile that connects Byblos to a water tile that's not already adjacent to it. Same with the 3rd image. In that 3rd one, though, you could have built a canal on the niter tile were the resource not there. In Cardiff, both tiles NW and SW of the city would be Canal-able, although they're obviously useless to build a canal on since the city itself basically counts as a canal.

6. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Chieftain

I have seen pictures of canals running across a continent, how is that possible with only two canals per city?

Here is an example posted to reddit: https://i.redd.it/7rrz1d51oii21.png

7. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Panama Canal can be up to 3 tiles. So in theory you can go: ocean-canal-city-canal-panama-canal-city-canal (where the middle canal-panama-canal section all comes as part of the Panama Canal wonder). Alternately, if you have lakes in the middle, you can chain them together.

Stilgar08 and Cletus2010 like this.
  8. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

You can have three canals per city. They just can't be adjacent to both another canal and your city. In the screen you posted, there's a city between three lakes that had three canals -- each one connecting to a lake tile.

Also in the SS you posted, there are actually four canal systems, with the before mentioned city being used as a junction for the two long canals. The longest one starts at the top and goes to the bottom-left. It's basically: Ocean, canal, city, canal, lake, lake, canal, junction city, canal, lake, lake, lake, canal, panama, panama, panama, lake, city, canal, ocean.

The second longest goes from the top the the bottom-right: Ocean, canal, city, canal, lake, lake, canal, junction city, canal, lake, lake, canal, city, canal, lake, lake, canal, ocean.

The third goes from the top to the left. It's: ocean, canal, city, canal, lake, lake, lake, lake, canal, ocean

The last system is very small and it's in the bottom-right corner. It's: city, canal, ocean (which is pointless because he/she already has a harbor in the ocean, but I suppose you could argue that the ocean connects the two systems but then again that would make an infinite loop in most cases).

This player make very good use of placing a city one tile away from two different lakes or between a lake and an ocean. This enables them to do several: lake/ocean, canal, city, canal, lake/ocean connections. They even do with using the panama canal (lake, canal, city, panama x3, lake); however, this is obviously canal overkill in most instances.

Anyways, pre-planning for canals is very important when settling cities as soon as you pop your first settler. Canals are obviously very situational, but they can pay off tremendously if planned correctly. I'd definitely recommend making full use of the canal map tacks so that you don't accidentally place a district where you will later want a canal.

9. TomKQT

TomKQT Chieftain

flat land next to a city or a body of water -> flat land next to a city AND a body of water (or flat land between two water tiles)

CPWimmer and Elhoim like this.
  10. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

One thing I experienced, an I’m not sure it is documented, or if I have analyzed it correctly: do reefs block canal placement?
    (This is: awater tile with reef does not count as a water tile for canal placement)

11. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Reefs don't block ships so I don't see why it would impede canal placement.

Stilgar08 and Turrdy like this.
  12. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

The rules are easy: a canal district must connect two tiles where a ship is able to move to, i.e. water or city.
    Panama canal is like a 3-tile-canal, so both ends of this 3-tile canal must connect to tiles where ships can go.
    Inland cities don't count as places where ships can go unless it is connected to a water tile with a canal (you can identify such cities easily if the city centre has a built-in canal).
    so to build a 7-tile waterway ((water-)canal-city-panama-panama-panama-city-canal(-water)) you need to first connect the cities to the water with the canals before you can build the panama canal between them.

13. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

Even though I like the idea of canals I must say that this is one area of the expansion which has largely passed me by. I think I've built like 3 or 4 since GS was released and that was for the novelty factor, hehe.

acluewithout likes this.
  14. Turrdy

Turrdy Chieftain

of course you can build more than 3 canals, just not adjacent to the city centre. Like this for example:
    Spoiler Picture :

canal.png
    Gray: City centre
    Green: Land tiles
    Blue: Water tiles
    Red: Canal tiles

15. MacCoise

MacCoise Chieftain

What do they do? apart from allow ships move

Karmah likes this.
  16. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Gotta say, though, that canal layout is pretty epic.

Turrdy likes this.
  17. criZp

criZp Warlord

Also pretty useless

acluewithout likes this.
  18. PonderThis

PonderThis Chieftain Supporter

In this case, epic > usefulness.

CPWimmer and kaspergm like this.
  19. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Chieftain

So for canal planning you might end up having to place a city without water access for maximum canal length which is sub-optimal.

Can Panama Canal be placed inland on an inland city? So canal, wonder, canal, city. Does that City have to be on a lake? Could I canal a city to a lake and then but canal, wonder, canal on the other side?

Do rivers conflict with canals in anyway?

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I have to admit that I haven't built a canal yet

comatosedragon likes this.