What are some really good German oriented WW2 documentaries?

Suspiria

Warlord
What are some really good German oriented WW2 documentaries?

Anything with particular scope on battles and particularly the SS.

Ive recently seen 'Waffen SS, Hitler's elite fighting force', whichwas quite good.

Hasn't author/journalist Guido Knopp built an entire German media empire on WWII and Nazi documentaries?:)

Might be more politics and social history than the kind of straight-up warfare stuff that seems to come out of the US and UK though. (Being German that kind of figures. Fighting more or less well being rather secondary, or even problematic, in relation to the socio-political stakes involved in WWII.)

"Yes, in 1944 we killed 3 million Jews, however on the domestic front we anticipated California in our consumption of environmentally friendly walnut flour." :smug:

"Yes, in 1944 we killed 3 million Jews, however on the domestic front we anticipated California in our consumption of environmentally friendly walnut flour." :smug:
No idea what kind of psychedelic German-made WWII documentaries you might have been watching.:smoke:

It might have been a satire, I really wasn't sure: which is either brilliant or terrifying.

Hasn't author/journalist Guido Knopp built an entire German media empire on WWII and Nazi documentaries?:)
True, using his name one should find a ton of stuff. Among German hobby-historians Guido is not well thought of though. I am not certain if it is really due to bad quality (I am sure there are holes, but I am not sure if it is more than in the average TV documentary) or just because Guido has his hands in virtually everything WWII-related and people are just annoyed by reading the same name or seeing the same face (he really has an annoying face) over and over again...

Important question would be: Are there any English subtitles for the German documentaries?
Should be, if you look for the English titles.

Should be "Hitler's War", "Hitler's Generals", "Hitler's Helpers", "Hitler's Women", Hitler's Children", and no doubt half a dozen other series with similar titles. (Bit of a common theme there.) And all produced by Guido Knopp.:)

There is a movie called "Downfall" about the last days of Hitler in the Fuererbunker. It's entirely in German (I watched it with English subtitles) and very true to life, with the performance by the actor who played Hitler especially captivating. It's not exactly a documentary, but excellently presented. It does not take any dramatic license, just presents the events exactly, but it doesn't need license to show drama.

Top Bottom