What can this mod borrow from other mods?

Uncle Paul

Bittereinder
Some things I've found in other Civ4 (especially RFC) mods that I think could be used for this mod

From embryodead's Sengoku:
More East Asian music
A new foreign advisor screen - shows a giant minimap (bigger even than the one shown for the replay at the end), which would be really helpful when the bigger map comes, since even with the smaller map, it's really hard to read the current minimap, which land is owned by which civ (sea tiles not colored, another thing that makes it easier to read), and also, you can click on a civ, and it will show you just the land controlled by them and their vassals

From Sword of Islam:
More Middle Eastern, Indian, and Eastern Orthodox music

From RFC Europe:
More medieval/renaissance European music

Not coloring sea tiles on the minimap would be nice. With regards to the last reply maybe Factories should enable that function?
Sea tiles are already coloured at a lower opacity than land tiles.

Sea tiles are already coloured at a lower opacity than land tiles.
Do you know where one could change the exact opacity?

It's in the DLL, unfortunately.

It's in the DLL, unfortunately.
Leoreth, if you're interested, there's a really old game called "Africa Trail" that I used to play when I was a kid (almost 20 years ago now, I'm old), that has some really cool songs in it that could be used for when you're playing as an African civ. I'm not quite sure how to extract them from the files, but I can try, there is a track or two that is middle eastern sounding that could be added to that soundtrack, and the rest could be added to the Africa soundtrack. I know a fair amount about music, and I'm happy to find more tracks for the soundtrack and give some suggestions about how to use them, if you're interested.

I'd like to see the "greek fire" event for the Byzantines from RFC sword of Islam. You need to build 7 dromons and you get a special hero unit called the siphonatore, which is the flamethrower guy with decent stats but nothing op, just cool to have defending your cities.

I would recommend some things I saw on Pie Ancient Europe. Specifically:
1- the use of supply unit to support large stacks of military units. The supply unit simply delivers provisions.
2- after a city conquest slaves, emigrants and gold carts are captured. These are quite valuable and address a flaw of civ 4 which is little money coming from city plunder/conquest.
3- all terrain improvements need to be paid for, even roads
4- trade routes need to be physically made with caravan or merchantmen units
5- more military events can happen due to battle, units defecting or riots breaking out when a decorated unit dies

I would recommend some things I saw on Pie Ancient Europe. Specifically:
1- the use of supply unit to support large stacks of military units. The supply unit simply delivers provisions.
2- after a city conquest slaves, emigrants and gold carts are captured. These are quite valuable and address a flaw of civ 4 which is little money coming from city plunder/conquest.
3- all terrain improvements need to be paid for, even roads

4- trade routes need to be physically made with caravan or merchantmen units
5- more military events can happen due to battle, units defecting or riots breaking out when a decorated unit dies
Number 2 and 3 would be pretty neat I think. The way I see it plundering and pillaging should in many instances be preferable to outright conquest. The terrain improvement thing could be nice also, I think overall maintaining improvement infrastructure could be made somewhat more interesting. Personally I think it's odd that improvements last seemingly forever and would be a fan of either having maintenance cost for improvements or having the need to use your workers to update or do maintenance on them.

Something that destroys improvements if they aren't kept maintained could be a solution to the pre-Columbian civ problem of "what happens when America expands westward and every plot is already improved with farms and cottages"

Considering this mod's scope, Realism Invictus's Tech Transfer seems more adequate than tech trading.
Content: Tech is spread between civs thru open borders.

Embassy Establishment, an oldie from RFC is an welcoming one cause its annoying to lose contact sometimes for some very important civs, like tech leaders/strong civs.

Considering this mod's scope, Realism Invictus's Tech Transfer seems more adequate than tech trading.
Content: Tech is spread between civs thru open borders.

Embassy Establishment, an oldie from RFC is an welcoming one cause its annoying to lose contact sometimes for some very important civs, like tech leaders/strong civs.
I agree about the mechanics from the realism invictus, but embassies are not needed because you can just keep the unit on the border of the country you are interested in

I agree about the mechanics from the realism invictus, but embassies are not needed because you can just keep the unit on the border of the country you are interested in
Embassies are more than just losing contact though. They also give another polity what's effectively an important hostage, being a sign of trust. A diplo bonus would not be uncalled for IMO. Could also have a temporary foreign relations instability effect in the case of a war breaking out if the two sides had an ambassadorship in the recent past, scaling down the longer it's been since its cancellation. The HRE's UHV could make use of it too.

Giving Bombers the ability to attempt to destroy a specific building in an enemy city akin to what Bombers have in Road to War mod. The chance of success would depend on the hammer cost of the building as in more hammer -expensive buildings are less likely to get destroyed.

History rewritten implements a neat feature - aquaducts provide irrigation to tiles immediately adjacent to a city. I think this is a valuable feature for civs such as Tibet and Japan that have farms / rice adjacent to their capitals that have no fresh water source. I cannot remember if aquaducts or another building also provides the fresh water supply health bonus. This becomes more relevant for the planned large map that similar to vanilla civ iv has fewer rivers.

Suggestion - allow irrigation to give additional food / commerce to orchards. This should become relevant for the planned new Persia - their early / special aquaduct / bath should synchronize well with manorialism / plains without requiring the hard-to-balance silk road food bonus.

Top Bottom