What Changes Should the New Civs get in the Fall Patch?

A continent is an island. You found your capital in one landmass, you can found a city on an island and it counts as a different continent.

Furthermore, I wish Sweden's tundra bias was removed.

There are some fun ideas in the previous posts. Here are a few random ones.

Japan: Units on the pike line (spearmen, pikemen, etc) can build improvements as if they were Workers. This would allow you to afford more units (since you aren't paying for workers) and also allow you to get away with waging war without fear of barbarians snatching your undefended cities.

Germany: Workers can build any improvements from the Medieval period or earlier, even if you do not yet have the technology to unlock them. (This special does not reveal resources but will allow you to build on any resource you can see.)

Morocco: To keep its UA relevant late, land trade routes cannot be plundered by enemies after Banking.

America: Also gain 2 Faith, 2 Culture when you use gold to purchase a tile, +1 for every other era.

Denmark: Plundering a sea trade route provides x3 gold.

Sweden: -10% Great People generation to anyone you Denounce.

There are some fun ideas in the previous posts. Here are a few random ones.

Japan: Units on the pike line (spearmen, pikemen, etc) can build improvements as if they were Workers. This would allow you to afford more units (since you aren't paying for workers) and also allow you to get away with waging war without fear of barbarians snatching your undefended cities.

Germany: Workers can build any improvements from the Medieval period or earlier, even if you do not yet have the technology to unlock them. (This special does not reveal resources but will allow you to build on any resource you can see.)

Morocco: To keep its UA relevant late, land trade routes cannot be plundered by enemies after Banking.

America: Also gain 2 Faith, 2 Culture when you use gold to purchase a tile, +1 for every other era.

Denmark: Plundering a sea trade route provides x3 gold.

Sweden: -10% Great People generation to anyone you Denounce.

10 % against anyone you denounce would be harsh! people would super abuse that too so there would have to be a restriction namely that you could not repeatedly get stuck with the label I.E. a cooldown.

Denmark is a cool idea but vikings were more the sack villages than capture ships type. Maybe instead they get triple gold from plundering tiles, would go well with their Movement bonus and would be historically accurate. Or maybe even culture for plundering!

A continent is an island. You found your capital in one landmass, you can found a city on an island and it counts as a different continent.

Furthermore, I wish Sweden's tundra bias was removed.

As I understand it, the guy was saying that within a single large landmass, there could be several continents. Like how Asia and Africa are on the same landmass but technically are different continents.

I got to try out kris swordmen, they're even more better than regular swordmen. In fact, i disbanded my regular swordmen cuz of superior kris swordmen coming out from my city state ally. I enjoy invulnerability.

They actually need to fix some gameplay issues that have been around for quite a while for those who don't play standard speed. It should be easy to fix but they don't seem to care.

1) They need to change the value of great person burn effects - bulbing, treatise, etc. Right now if you play marathon it's still only 8 turns worth of science/culture/whatever, making it completely useless even late in the game. Whereas a GS in standard game can bulb one tech for you (or sometimes more) even in late game, a GS in late game marathon won't even bulb half a tech. That seems rather broken since the cost of the great person is multiplied to reflect the longer game

2) Similarly, the gold values are all out of whack. Spain gets 500 for discovering a NW first in standard, but it's still 500 for marathon. On marathon, a settler costs more than a standard settler, so whereas in standard one NW = one settler for Spain, in marathon it's only about half that. Again, should be easy to fix.

3) Upgrade costs are stupid. They need to come up with a new formula so that it's not based on hammer cost. Right now some upgrade leaps are super expensive, while others are almost free. Doesn't make any sense.

My biggest gripe is the new culture victory:

It has all the right mechanics in place, but it's missing a good polish for higher difficulties. This is what a round 2 patch is all about! Generally, it needs to be present throughout the game instead of just the last 25 turns. Currently you go from double digit tourism for 3,000 years, to getting 600+ in about 30 turns. There is no time for the AI to react or for interesting developments. A simple fix is to add small tourism benefits up front, other than GW's and sacred sites. These should NOT be wonder-based, IMO.

Sacred Sites - apply to Temples and Shrines and Holy Sites (settled GPs), but now only as +1 tourism. This fixes two issues: 1) the OP T120 ICS culture victory for Egypt, Byzantium etc. 2) "Risking" Piety over trad/lib and missing out on two buildings because Deity religion/enhancements come ridiculously quick and the AI always grab buildings.

Great Works - These need great work. As it stands, you either give up a Golden Age, or 1/3 - 1/2 of a social policy in order to get 2-3 tourism in those crucial early game stages. Only for France is this even potentially worth it. OR - you conquer and collect from the resident wonder whore (this is fun, and should remain). The culture GW/Swap UI is also a boring metagame with no depth or diplomatic consideration. Great Works are, currently, incredibly boring.

Why not make GW trade chips like broadway's "Hits" were before BNW? The AI seems to love making them. I could see them valued around 500g or two luxuries. There should also be a way to acquire them through City States. Maybe a Patronage T3 that requires you are allied for 30+ turns? Or just make them like militaristic CS gifts, but from Cultural CS (hover over tooltip to see their type: writing, music, art). Right now they are just flat out boring when they aught to be cool (the real reward currently is the wonder-esque screen that pops up with a contextual excerpt - very cool)

Culture Buildings - are also very lackluster now. Amphi's and Operas product +1 culture now? This would be fine if GW's were easier to come by, but presently this only benefits the capital and is not worth "settling" the GP (see above). I don't see why their culture needed to be nerfed. Monument should be +2, Amphi +3, OH +4, Museum +5 etc.

*Tourism* - Presently is a very boring resource. The only other thing it adds is ideological pressure. Couldn't it add to religious pressure too? Or have some "1 gold for every 4 tourism" esque bonuses sprinkled throughout? Every other resource has a bearing throughout the game.

Archaeology is a cool bridge between Renn and Airports+Hotels, but I think they should come earlier or be part of a different tech line. I get that they are "exploration" related, but Astronomy and Navigation are so culturally counter-productive lines to pursue compared to Acoustics >> Architecture -> Electricity -> Radio. I miss the "Either OR" logic from Civ 4, where you had to get any combination of Tech A, B, or C to research. Oh well.

Also I agree that some of the Vanilla/G&K civs need updating or general buffs and I've enjoyed reading through the ideas. Are there any devs that read these boards though? I'm concerned we are wasting our time, carrying this on Firaxis' forums :blush:. I suppose that's why mods are awesome!

Piety and Honor need a buff, right now they are just a negative handicap to put into the game. Liberty need some science boost to diminish science per city much like it diminishes culture per city. The policies thing need some balance, nothing beats tradition, consulates and rationalism.

Dimplomatic victory must be reworked, right now is a I win button you will use when you are the top civ.

German are not that bad, the maintenance discount is great. Japan was a great vanilla civ but a horrible G&K and ever worse BNW civ.

Early conquest has too much penalties as it is now, that leaves early UU in a delicate position.

I personally hate that the game is still too science focused, specially with the free techs the AI gets at higher diffs, that make most classical and antient wonders unthinkable, and changes the game to a science catch-up game.

As I understand it, the guy was saying that within a single large landmass, there could be several continents. Like how Asia and Africa are on the same landmass but technically are different continents.

Unfortunately, we've proven it false. There's another thread out here where a bunch of us tried settling in different parts of a pangaea map, and no bonus resources.

Top Bottom