1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Changes Should the New Civs get in the Fall Patch?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kwidem, Aug 6, 2013.

1. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

For samurai I've always thought it'd be nice if they have a "seppuku" ability. Whenever the samurai is killed in combat, or disbanded manually, it gives culture according to its strength; let the promotion scale with them into infantry to +70 culture/unit (since after Japan was defeated in WWII, the emperor was forced to denounce his divinity, and his soldiers committed seppuku, paving the way for modern democratic Japan, hence, a cultural advancement)
    (opposite of jaguars). XD
    21 culture per unit might be worth considering if your income is in the red and you just need that extra policy one turn earlier.

2. ToodleElNoodos

ToodleElNoodos Warlord

Mario! The painting is in...ANOTHER palace!

Also, I think happiness from trade routes is a great idea for Netherlands. Though maybe to keep it from being overpowered, it's 1 :c5happy: from trade routes TO you. So you gain a perk, but you have to work for it by making cities people want to trade to.

Probably for Japan's change, they might just change the UA and keep the UUs. It'd be neat if they had Bushido also gives a bonus art slot to castles or something.

3. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Oh, the Netherlands thing is pretty cool. Maybe you could have +1 happiness for both players for every trade route to you? That would seem to be more in spirit with trade routes, as it's meant to be a mutually beneficial thing, and provides an inherent small incentive to trade with them.

4. dodzylla

dodzylla Chieftain

Zulu need nerf i Agree.

Shoshone don't need nerf, they are very useless in multi and in single too, good start but after that they are very weak. City got a lot of tile but you can't work it... because city can't grow faster.

Portugal is weak, destroy caravans and she is useless like venice.

Assyria, very good but siege tower a little bit OP.

Venice is desperately strong, in single and in multi too, easy diplomatic win, just defend your caravans and free win. No buff for them.

I think the old civs should be buffed not the new nerfed, Netherland useless UA, Denmark useless ski infantry for a building.

Rome with useless UA, and change ballista for a building(mb a happy building because they good for great expansion), legion is fine.

I want a good buff for netherlands and for America, they got very bad UA, except +1 vision.

Sorry for my english!
    Thx Dod

5. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Is there actually going to be a Patch? Does anyone know for sure?

6. Wodan

Wodan Deity

I definitely don't agree with this. UA is very useful, and Ballista makes up for lack of legions when you have iron nowhere in sight. If we get rid of ballista then we need to change the legion too.

7. Loucypher

Loucypher King

How's this for an idea for Japan, to keep with the isolationist idea that was put up:
    UA:
    Internal trade routes grant an amount of gold equal to (number might need tweaking) the amount of food/hammers sent by said trade route. Trade routes sent from Japan to other civs do not earn science. (for balance issues and to actively encourage Japan to send trade routes internally)
    UB:
    Dojo, replaces barracks. Has a slot for a great work of ART (Because tbh that fits more then writing here, IMO, and gives Japan an edge great-work-slot wise), once said slot is filled, all units built in this city gain the Bushido promotion.
    UU:
    Samurai. Stays the same, but might get a tiny combat buff. Maybe start them with Shock AND Drill 1?

8. cinattra

cinattra Warlord

seppuku sounds cool.

9. cinattra

cinattra Warlord

Rome's UB could be the Bath House. They could use the temple. It could give 1 culture, 1 faith, 1 gold and 1 happiness???

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

For Netherlands they could get +1 happiness per resource they are trading away. (last copy or not)
    Maybe also 1 gpt?

11. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

The Waag for the Netherlands. Extra income. You see, the Netherlands back then was all about money. Money, money, money.

12. Infantry#14

Infantry#14 Emperor

Not complaining about China in the game. But I feel that China should get a changeover in terms of culture since it has such large cultural influence in the East Asia. Perhaps the Paper Maker should give +1 culture +1 gold instead of just +2 gold.

13. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

They were also ahead in science for a while until the US took over

14. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

The devs confirmed it a while back, and said that Japan and Germany were going to be changed.

15. Ricard.Bossle

Ricard.Bossle Chieftain

Yes, please!
    This will greatly boost Indonesia trade routes and give you extra happiness, as intended, and still keep the maritime flavor the civ have. The gold the luxury provide under the capital should go away, however. Just give something we can count on when playing Indonesia and keep all the other randomness.

And, as a random rant, I could say that something must chance with Pedro II/Brazil. In this case, some change with the AI strategy/personality. Its a Great cultural civ! Great UA! Great UI! But its very, very sad to see the message in the middle of the classical age "An unkown civ lost its capital" and immediately think "Brazil was plundered again". Someone ever saw Brazil survive to the Modern age and beyond?

16. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

CHANGE THE WARMONGER PENALTY or at least the flavors of certain leaders domination victory is olmost impossible currently

And change the AI Behavior towards agressive settling near them by the player i've settled a city next to napoleon and stayed friendly I actualy thought this was a good thing in brave new world

17. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I think the good promotions do balance it out! They're pretty powerful. Yes, it usually means you have to build one extra just in case, which in the early game is bad, but later, when you promote those guys, it's all win.

18. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Another one I don't agree with. The same argument could be said for the U.S. We can't take "who are/were superpowers in real life" and give them bonuses in the game.

Civ is about "what if." Both for better and for worse.

In particular, cultural influence merely means that civ utilized the existing cultural mechanics. If you want China to be a cultural powerhouse in your game, then build all the cultural stuff. It's that simple.

19. Zezima

Zezima Professional Troll

Pretty sure the Indonesian UA works on Pangaea maps. You guys are aware that all map types, regardless of geographical layout, actually are divided into multiple continents, right? That means the major landmass on a Pangaea map is considered multiple continents.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a diceroll determining where those continental borders are, but I did want to point that out.

Three civs in most need of buffing?

Japan, Germany, India, in that order. Then I'd say America. I also agree with the OP's Indonesia change suggestion.

20. parts

parts Chieftain

:confused::confused:

I definitely didn't - is there some way of checking what a "continent" is defined as?