1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Changes Should the New Civs get in the Fall Patch?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kwidem, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Falconiano

Falconiano Prince

Agreed that Zero is the only thing really in need of change, and perhaps Samurai needs a better ability.

2. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

It was noted in another thread that Zero is pretty necessary for Japan to preserve the "role-play WWII Axis Japan!" option.

3. Wodan

Wodan Deity

I don't get that. Free promotions are awesome, and stick with the unit through upgrades into modern times. Samurai has 2 of them.

Maybe it's a "boring" benefit, but the gameplay is definitely there.

4. TheZombifiedGuy

TheZombifiedGuy Chieftain

I like some of the ideas here. It's always bothered me that a civilization as historically significant - particularly for their scientific innovations - as China gets a plain warmongering UA (admittedly a decent one, but still). While I don't know exactly what changes should be made, I think it'd be interesting to make them a science civ with some explicit incentive (probably in the UA) to go wide and expand rather than go tall (the way Babylon or Korea tend to go).

I think Japan could do with some significant changes. In keeping with Firaxis' comments about possibly changing Japan to reflect its isolationist nature in the Fall Patch, what if Japan got a bonus to culture as long as they make no trade routes with other civs? They could also represent Japan's rapid modernization by making it so that if they do choose to make trade routes with other civs, they get more science from the technology gap. Something along those lines, as well as replacing the Zero with a UB, would make Japan more fun to play, at least for me.

5. nimzo28

nimzo28 Chieftain

I would like to see this UA for Egypt: "+20% production towards Wonder construction. Can build all pre-Medieval "particular Wonder" without having to unlock the corresponding Social Policy, but, in this case, without the +20% production bonus".

So Egypt would be able to build Hanging Garden without Tradition unlocked, Pyramids without Liberty, Statue of Zeus without Honor, Great Mosque of Djenne without Piety, Forbidden Palace without Patronage, and Uffizi without Aesthetic.

6. Sandling

Sandling Chieftain

The Netherlands should receive +1 happiness for every unique luxury a Civilization has that The Netherlands doesn't own themself upon a trade route with said Civilization. Similarly, the target Civilization will get +1 happiness for every unique luxury The Netherlands has that they don't have themself. This would tie in nicely with their current ability and make use of the new traderoute system without needing to abolish the old one - In fact, micromanaging your luxury resources would work even nicer this way while ensuring wanting to have a lot of traderoutes with a lot of different civilizations.

7. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Enemy Blade makes a good sacrificial lamb. Charge in and sit next to the capital the same turn you set up catapults. The AI will ignore a catapult to go after your slightly injured swordsman. You don't care if that one dies anyway. If he somehow survives, you do it again for the next city. To me, the good promotions are so good that this just balances it out. Eventually, you have lots of good promotions and no bad ones. Also, you can leave Enemy Blade swordsmen behind to guard your territory. The only problem is that they take up an iron slot. Which is why I sacrifice them. ;-)

8. quantum42

quantum42 Linux User

I would like to see Venice tweaked a bit. When a city-state is purchased, a human player should be able to manage the annexed city like any city that other civs build.

9. Fluxx

Fluxx Mr. Almost There

Siege tower should be nerfed into the ground.
    Impi's + UB are also stupendously strong in the hand of a human player. Impi's -> deity rifleman.

For older civs I think most has been said already.

10. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

It's not annexed though, it's puppeted. Venice has more control over its ancillary cities than any other civ because nobody else can rush buy in them.

11. quantum42

quantum42 Linux User

I rush buy units and buildings often in all cities playing as any other civ. Venice cannot change the production in puppeted cities. If Venice is founded away from the coast or mountains, wonders associated with coastlines or mountains cannot be built by the puppets. For example, Machu Picchu would be a big bonus for Venice, but most of the time the initial settler is not close enough to a mountain.

12. Yzman

Yzman Deity

But you don't rush buy in PUPPETS. Venice is the only civ that can do that and would be broken if they could annex cities as opposed to just puppeting them.

13. dodzylla

dodzylla Chieftain

Bad idea, all of them are good except indonesia, i think shoshone not strong, early game is good but after that... in multiplayer they are not too good.

14. LordProtector

LordProtector Digger

I think almost all the BNW9 are pretty much on it actually, for example I like the Shoshone's huge spread, it makes them brilliant to play against, Venice has a mega UA and Geemov combo and the blander Galleas calms everything down. It's a good bunch. Indonesia is a bit of a 'hmm', agreed, but that could be fixed by giving the capital one of the unique resources, or adding another for it, and then it would be quite equal to the 9.

I'm with the consensus that it's the Vanillas that need a buff, all of them potentially. That would be very kind of the development team, but maybe a bit too much work? Even if it was just a little tweak to each of the UAs, it would be very much appreciated.

15. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

Does everyone simply take all the Buffalo promotions for Shaka or do they straight go for the open/rough terrain ones?

Btw, the ranged attack is OK, I don't think it needs to be nerfed. But the +1 movement for every melee non-mounted unit is kind of...... crazy. It took me a while for me to get past the Great Wall but it certainly made everything easier. Your 3 movement Rifleman + 30% ranged defense + whatever else you buffed him with is pretty ridiculous.

Assyria needs to be balanced more. No idea how though.

16. Wodan

Wodan Deity

That comes under the "Silver Lining" department, not an actual argument that it doesn't need to be changed.

Frankly, units are a pretty high commodity in CiV, expensive to build, expensive to maintain. That units better be damn good if I have a 20% chance of a big negative hit. And, it's not (damn good, that is).

17. Gyra Solune

Gyra Solune King

I always go straight for the Ikanda promotions, yes. They're crazy potent even on Spearmen.

18. black213

black213 Emperor

In my opinion Shoshone could lose the defense bonus, that's Ethiopia's territory...

19. dodzylla

dodzylla Chieftain

In my opinion they have to change on culture victory, i think culture victory is too hard now, and diplomatic victory is too easy.

+ i pray for a upgrade on harald ( dannish) because they got 2 UU , but i think they should change ski infantry for a building mb somthing for tundra tiles...

20. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Impis need a serious nerf (if chukonu's are 13 to crossbowmen 18, Impi should be 12 to pikeman's 16) Ikandas need a nerf (more expensive to build or something) or their promotions should be scaled down to something less OP.

Shoshone starting territory needs to be scaled down a bit; as is they can block whole choke points with a single city and spending no gold whatsoever for all that extra land. Bonus from ruins is fine, but they should start with warriors like everyone else, and not pathfinders.

I have no idea how to, but Portugal needs a nerf to UA and a buff to AI (Maria just sits with 7000 gold and 300 gpt even on 5 cities and she has no religion to tithe off)

Change Assyria's bonus to stealing beakers instead of whole techs, proportional to what was being produced in the target city.

Brazil is fine. Maybe make their carnival bonus be additive with the internet instead of with all those modifiers for OB, religion, ideology (so you have more success keeping their tourism out through isolation policies)

Maybe Venice needs to be buffed a bit (since CSs do tend to get very bad spawn locations with little food) maybe make puppeted CSs gain extra tile yields according to difficulty (on prince, nothing; on emperor and above +50% food/hammer/gold yield) Since I do believe they received those bonuses before you puppet them. Or maybe allow the human player to change the city's focus.