What Civ Does the AI Play Best?

Sparthage

Fighting Tyranny
Normal for everything: Continents, Standard Map, etc.

With fairly equal starts, who do you think the AI plays best?

Personally, I see Carthage as a power if they survive the Ancient Age.

Aztecs.

I don't know about continents, but in general I've found Sumeria the toughest AI to face.

Notice a trend, all the civs we mentioned are Agricultural, except for Carthage, which Sparthage has biased love for. :p

The AI seems to play the Maya weakly, though. :hmm:

The Sumerians and Mayans are usually powerhouses, as are all the aggies. Non-agricultural civs that always seem strong are Persia, India and China. France also is good.

I find that Korea occasional becomes a powerhouse, mainly on lower levels, despite not getting a GA. Other times they are a lowly 5CC or close to.

Russia also becomes a powerhouse once and a while. Usually by steamrolling somebody else.

Russia also becomes a powerhouse once and a while. Usually by steamrolling somebody else.
Yep, I've seen them and Persia both become runaway civs that caused have to "intervene" with them. :nuke: :bump: :nuke:

What do you want to bet that by the time this hits 30 posts, half the civs in the game will have been listed as "well-played" by the AI, and everyone will start naming the civs the AI fails with?

I play Huge Pangaeas (and nothing but, except AoI, so that may disqualify the following), but I've seen the AI get huge with both the Ottomans and Arabs.

Well, the AI is going to do well with civs that help it with things it does badly.

It never builds settler pumps, so agri helps it grow faster
It uses workers poorly, so industrious helps it improve faster
Commercial just helps every civ.
AI gets shorter anarchy anyway
Seafaring - it doesnt' do suicide curraghs, so this is a bad trait for the AI
AI doesnt' build enough explorers to make good use of expansionist
AI doesn't build the right type of military anyway.

So, I'd say that a combination of agri, industrious and commercial are probably the best. And hey... that's what the list is.

I remember there's an old strategy guide as to which traits the AI plays well. Agricultural is one that helps the AI even more than the human, while Seafaring is usually useless to the AI.

I'd agree we'll see more than half the Civs. I often find Genghis Khan a problem in my games. Don't know why, but he does well against me.

AI play best? Barbarians...all other civs it sucks completly...:D

I'd say that a combination of agri, industrious and commercial are probably the best. And hey... that's what the list is.

It seems like each AI's level of agression plays into it too. For instance, the Mongols and Zulu can occasionally crank it up in my games, but the Byzantines are a perennial punching bag without a human at the wheel.

Well, a lot of it has to do with the level, like Religious, for example. It isn't really useful to a human player except in maybe 100k games. The AI makes so many government switches that 1 turn anarchy's help it, but on higher levels it can build everything so cheap that reduce cost temples are no big deal, and it gets 1 turn anarchy's anyway.

Well in my games, it seems Persia, Ottomans, Netherlands, Maya, Sumeria, Iroquois and Aztecs are the most powerful.

The weakest in mine are byzantines (although one occasion they settles lightning fast and had 8 more cities than the next closest civ), Babylon always seems to get beat up, and i don't know why, but germany is a bit slow in terms of settling and military.

Its usually a different thing each game, like they rotate in and out, but some are more common than others.

You do realize that of all the civ's you named as strong, 5 are aggie. ;)

Top Bottom