What Civ would you like to see have a new leader or alternate one?

I actually was talking about the Hashemite Sharif of Mecca but I can certainly understand the confusion! I know he is a much more recent leader and I don't think I'd pick him over Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan even if it's a close one for me, but I do think he is a strong option that we haven't seen before due to some fun gameplay opportunities that he could have around rebellions, religion, and potentially ethnicity if that ever becomes a thing in these games.
The Hashemites are an interesting group. The Jordanian royal family is descended from them and seems to be a remarkably competent and responsible royal line.

As for Husayn ibn Ali, he is an interesting figure but I hadn't considered him before now. I've heard that it is considered haram to depict Muhammad, the other prophets, his immediate family, his Companions, and possibly the four Rashidun Caliphs but I'm wondering what has changed since Civ 3 when Abu Bakr was the leader of Arabia? I know other things have changed with society's standards, such as having Mao and Stalin as leaders, but I wouldn't have thought that what was considered haram would have changed much in that time though I admit I haven't looked into it much.
There are probably a lot more sales to Muslims and in Muslim countries now, plus the internet to make a big deal about it. Back in 2001 they probably didn't even think about it.

That makes a lot of sense, I gotta remind myself how different things were back in 2001!

I'm noticing the pattern I've made for myself with having the leaders of Arabia and Germany be somewhat in sync. The emphasis of course is on the 'somewhat'! For the new faces, I'm wanting to see them either at a height of their power (Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan and Otto I) or at a more recent time that helped to shape the nations we know today (Hussein bin Ali and Wilhelm I). It also lines up if you want returning leaders like Charlemagne and Harun al-Rashid! The same thing is happening with my choices for new leaders of Rome and Persia with Aurelian and Shapur I or Constantine I and Shapur II.

Civs most needing new leaders because the ones they have been getting are Getting Old, IMHO:
Greece. Civ has never had a Greek Leader from anything but Classical Greek Athens or Sparta - or Macedon. Just from Athens they could have Solon or Cleisthenes, or an earlier Polykrates of Samos, or a later Jason of Thessaly, or - and here's a Thought: go back to the Greek Bronze Age and ring in Agamemnon or Nestor - by definition Big Personalities!
What should Greek UU be under Agamennon? A mycenain 'Axeman' seen in Humankind?

Germany. Enough of Bismarck or the Prussians. (Although Bismarck virtually started the modern German system of Social Democracy, so he could have Uniques not at all related to either Diplomacy or the military). Why not a leader from the Weimar Republic? It lasted longer than Hitler's Third Reck did, or one of the other strong Early Modern German states: Augustus of Saxony or Maximilian the "Blue King" of Bavaria
And another 'astriding leader'... Charles V (Can rules BOTH Germany and Spain. he can port Tercio to Germany as well)
Personal UU could be Schwart Reiters: (Cuirassier replacements)

Russia. Again, enough of Bolshoi Petr and Ekaterina II. How about Dmitri Donskoye, Prince of Moscow and Grand Prince of Vladimir? or Ivan III or Ivan IV of Muscovy. or Aelksandr, Napoleon's Nemesis? Almost too many choices, and by no means all militant or expansionist.
- Aleksandr I can only be valid if Napoleon I lead France.
- Pete and Katie, well too much. (I'm not sure if Pyotr Velikui a leader who clashed with Qing Kang Xi Emperor somewhere in the Heilongjiang ( Black Dragon River?), and under whom did Russia have a naval clash with Korea?)
- Who between the two Ivans are the Groznuyi (Terrible/Terrifying? Since translations were done by people outside Orthodox Christian scope so they saw what he did against Muslims and anyone else he went against 'barbaric' 'terrible')? (the Third or the Fourth)
Rome. A Late Emperor would be a nice change, but what about the Republic? Lucius Junius Brutus, the legendary founder, Tiberius or Gaius Gracchus the reformers, Gaius Marius, elected consul more than any other man in Rome's history, Marcus Tullius Cicero the legalist - lots of variety of choices and potential Uniques.
F'xis ignored Republic of Rome completely. I'd go for any famous Republic leader.

My proposals of new leader
1. India: Why F'xis keeps Mohandas Gandhi a leader of India in every game? I'm thinking of a Maratha leader who's mighty enough to lead. or Nehru.
2. Greece: Can't remeber the name of Sicilian leader but I chose him instead of Iscandar or Athens VS Spartar.
3. England: Either Tudor or 'Anjou' King. or maybe Oliver Cromwell (UU: Ironside)
4. America: John Adams
5. Siam: Generallismo Plaek Phibunsongkram. (Who's more ambitious than him? Actually it is safer to use non-monarch as a leader even the country has always remain 'Kingdom' due to a notorious 'Lese Majeste' law still in effect)... Also King Ramkhamhaeng and the entirety of Sukhothai Kingdom DOESN'T represent Siam as a 'mighty' Empire correctly (In fact Sukhothai was one of many 'kingdoms' coexisted with others that would later conquered or assimilated to Ayutthaya). Siam as actual 'Empire' began in Ayutthaya era. (though a proposals to have this civ an Early Modern ones). also i'm yet to write a thread how to design this civ.), one might even said that it began with Portuguese coming as being 'Gunpowder Empire' too!
6. Khmer: Someone who ordered a construction of Prea Vihear Prasat and kicked off the 'Rise of Khmer Empire'. I think that king in person has his name ended with 'Varman' suffix.. mmm Suriyavarman??
7. France: Charles VII, Incorrectly represented in Civ3 with his 'avatar'--Jeanne d'Arc. He contributed no less significance to French Victory in the Hundread years War, particularly solved stinging medieval problems when it comes to prolonged war--he formed Ordonnance Army as standing army so to flush out the needs of unreliable Knights and unruly mercs, Also to put smaller overlords under his definite firm control (With Big Bombards did more leverage to the King)
8. Egypt: Menes (The first Pharaoh of Unified Egypt), and Abdul Gamal Nasser (The first modern 'Egypt' leader).
9. China: Either Yong Le or Liu Bang or Deng Xiaoping
10: Japan:
- Pre modern: Emperor Kammu
- Modern: Itou Hirobumi (A person who's behind the success of Meiji Restoration)

Persia: for the love of God, can we please get once Iran that is not 100% Achaemenid? No Cyrus, no Darius, no Immortal unit? I'd explode from happiness if we got Islamic scientific/cultural Persia for once, but even Sasanians would be great improvement.

Yeh! Sassanians AND Safavids (Gets Jazayerchis a UU) as two different Persian leader choices.

Ivan III = "The Great"
Ivan IV = "The Terrifying" or "The Mighty" (in Russian: Ivan Grozhnyi , and grozhny can be translated as Terrible, Terrifying, Threatening, Formidable, Stern, Ferocious or Redoubtable. It is also shares the same root word as grom = Thunder, Thunderous, and grob = Coffin, grobnitsa = Tomb)

I'll take either one.
Ivan III conquered Novgorod and dramatically expanded the Muscovite State, finally stopped paying tribute to the Tatars of the Golden or Great Horde and so made Muscovy the first really independent Russian city state, reformed the laws, suppressed the Boyars to set up autocratic rule (which was considered a step forward at the time)

Ivan IV was the first ruler to wear the title "Tsar of all the Rus" and so is usually considered to be the one who turned Muscovy the city state into Russia. He completed the absorption of Novgorod and all the lands it held stretching into Siberia, extended Russian borders south into the Volga basin and the northern Ukraine, formed the first Streltsy (so, has a 'built in' Unique Unit) and built St Basil's Cathedral - although, in fairness, it was Ivan III that first invited Italian builders in to start completely remaking the Look of Moscow and its public buildings.

Top Bottom