• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What Civ4 Configuration do you have?

What Civ4 Configuration do you have?

• Just Vanilla

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Vanilla and Warlords

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Vanilla and BtS

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Vanilla and both expansions

Votes: 69 66.3%

• Total voters

Thrallia

Prodigal Staffer
GOTM Staff
Here's a little poll so we can find out a bit more certainly what XOTM's should be used since I don't think we should ask the staff to run 3 games at a time.

Pick whichever option in the poll describes the setup you have, so it is easier to decide which two XOTMs to continue with, when it is possible to begin the BTSOTMs, unless the staff wants to do 3 XOTMs, that is.

I'd like to point out that those that have vanilla & BTS also have warlords - BTS installs warlords when it installs.

hmm - seems with BtS you get Warlords features. I don't see any possibility to start BtS as Warlords

Is there not? Does it not have a warlords executable?

I checked the "Beyond the Sword" folder and there is only a bts executable. So you have to install Warlords to get an exe for it.

Is there not? Does it not have a warlords executable?

I checked the "Beyond the Sword" folder and there is only a bts executable. So you have to install Warlords to get an exe for it.
It figures from a marketing point of view ... why release gold edition of vanilla + warlords if warlords is in BtS? Warlords in BtS would make clearance vanilla plus BtS the package to buy for the newcomer.

dV

Thrallia's poll supports Vanilla first of month, rotate Warlords and BTS on 15th, I think. Here is why:

With this approach, everyone can play one game a month, and 80% can play the second, every month. (Well except those who have lost/defective vanilla disks ... the missing category in the poll :D ).

If we play each title every six weeks, then every third month 8% can't play either game, and 24% can only play one.

And it is worse than that, as the poll is likely answered by the more fanatic players, more likely to have multiple versions. The vanilla only group in the more general audience is most likely larger than we see in the poll.

So unless we go three games a month, I think there is logic for monthly vanilla and rotating others.

dV

The poll is also missing the categories of have Vanilla and Warlords (or just have Vanilla), but plan to buy BtS when it becomes available in my area/the bugs get worked out/I get around to it. Over time I would expect Vanilla + Warlords to mostly turn into Vanilla + both expansions. In other words, if Warlords and BtS are rotated, at some point Warlords should probably be dropped and the games should be Vanilla and BtS as there will be a greater number of people without Warlords than there are without BtS (unless of course the mods want to run three games a month).

A disclaimer: I'm in the Vanilla + BtS category. I don't plan on buying Warlords. Accordingly, I'd be playing the second game every other month.

I assumed if you had vanilla+warlords, if you planned on buying Bts soon, then you'd say so :p

Hmm - but BtS seems to me so buggy, that its perhaps better to wait until some things are fixed. I.e.: Yesterday I played the Beta again and when
scouting I suddenly saw a blue circle which marks a hut. But there was no hut icon. Nevertheless I stepped on it and got gold.

Yeah - but did you check the 'warlords' folder? It does patch to v2.13, which replaces the .exe anyway.

Hmm - I installed all three step by step, so I cannot say what you got in Warlords when you only install Vanilla and BtS. I assume you won't get anything in Warlords in that case. Perhaps someone else will try. I am satisfied with my current configuration ;)

Maybe one of our 7 poll respondents who has Vanilla and BtS only can tell us if they even have a Warlords folder? Maybe BtS is smart enough to not create one if one does not already exist?

dV

I have Vanilla+BtS. I do have a warlords folder, but it doesn't have anything but the assets and public maps folder. So no Warlords.exe

Like Dutchfire, some Warlords files, but no .exe file. In an experiment, I tried opening the WOTM 12 Contender save with the BtS .exe and then the Vanilla .exe. Neither recognized the file's existence and I couldn't open it.

Top Bottom