What cultures would you like to get added the most?

What cultures should be the first priority in your opinion?

• Ancient - Caral, Norte Chico

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Ancient - Etruscans

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Ancient - something else from Europe

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Ancient - Syria, Arameans

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Ancient - Shang or Indo - Aryans (even more China or India)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Classical - Han Chinese

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • Classical - Hebrews

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Classical - some Andean civilization

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Classical - Armenians

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Classical - more India (Gupta, Tamil etc)

• Medieval - some East Asian culture

• Medieval - some Indian culture

• Medieval - Inca

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • Medieval - some Indonesian culture

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Medieval - Kievan Rus

• Early modern - Portugal

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Early modern - Muscovy

• Early modern - Austria

• Early modern - Subsaharan culture

• Early modern - Manchu

• Industrial - Qing

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Industrial - Meiji Japan

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Industrial - Ashanti or Ethiopia

• Industrial - Belgium

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Industrial - Switzerland

• Modern - South Korea

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Modern - Czechoslovakia

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Modern - Vietnam

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Modern - Subsaharan country

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Modern - Latin American country

• Total voters

Krajzen

Deity
Title. There is a reasonable maximum of thirty options in the poll, so I have given five per each era, trying to aim at some popular suggestions or the most spectacular absences from given eras. I have limited allowed resoonses to 12, to really force the choice of priorities (also I have a weird assumption that we're going to get roughly like one new culture per era per year).

I think getting a guess should take into account some affinities 'balance' in number of civs available per era.
For instance classical has 2 of military,merchant and aesthetic and one of all others. You can expect any new classical cultural to be one of the four others : science, builders, agra or expansionist
For ancient you have two of military , merchant and expansionist so a new one would be science,builder , agrarian or aesthetic

But there is something tricky in adding new cultures, you might end-up breaking something in the game experience in terms of pressure to change era to get a nice pick vs farming fame. If you end-up with two of each after some years , you'll probably end-up not caring at all for your pick as they will be (too) many good choices that fits your current situation.

But there is something tricky in adding new cultures, you might end-up breaking something in the game experience in terms of pressure to change era to get a nice pick vs farming fame. If you end-up with two of each after some years , you'll probably end-up not caring at all for your pick as they will be (too) many good choices that fits your current situation.

Good point, I hope they add cultures, but allow you to set how many of each era are included in a game, and whether that is random and/or preselected.

Why no one say Vietnam. Such underrepresented civ/culture. Always fighting against superpowers and being around almost as long as Chinese. World's 15th populous country.

I voted two per era:

Ancient - Caral, Norte Chico (although "Norte Chico" would be a strange culture name, so I prefer they call them just "Caral")
Ancient - Etruscans

Classical - Han Chinese.
Classical - some Andean civilization (preferably Nazca )

Medieval - Inca (must given)
Medieval - some Indonesian culture (Majapahit is must given culture in medieval era, imo)

Early modern - Portugal
Early modern - Subsaharan culture (Kongo, please)

Industrial - Qing
Industrial - Ashanti or Ethiopia (mainly Ethiopia, although Ashanti would be nice, Ethiopia should be prioritized)

Modern - South Korea (just call them as "Korea")
Modern - Subsaharan country (a Subsaharan country is necessary, I think Nigeria should take the place because it's the most populous country in the continent and an emerging power)
Although, I think modern Indonesia, which is not in the poll, is still more necessary because it's a very important player in Southeast Asia today. And there's no contemporary culture that represents Southeast Asia yet.

Last edited:
I voted two per eras as well :

Ancient - Caral ; No idea about the affinity, since I don't know much about this culture other than the name, but Precolombian America needs more representation.
Ancient - Etruscans ; Aesthete/Merchant

Classical - Han Chinese ; Expansionist/Builder
Classical - Armenia ; Aesthete/Merchant. I hesitated between Armenia and Hebrews, but I feel like the Caucasus deserves some representation, in either Armenia or Georgia.

Medieval - Inca ; Builder/Expansionist. The most glaring omission in the base game, in my opinion
Medieval - Indonesian culture ; Expansionist/Merchant. Majapahit seems like an obvious choice for a medieval thalassocracy, also coming from a relatively underrepresented world region.

Early modern - Portugal ; Expansionist/Merchant. Another glaring omission from the base game, although I understand that a third European Age-of-Discovery colonialist nation, after the Dutch and the Spanish, would have left the era overbloated. The trick, of course, is to make Portugal different enough from the Spanish, Dutch and Venetians.
Early modern - Subsaharan Africa ; I'm hesitating between Kongo (Aesthete/Militarist) and Swahili (Merchant), although the latter would probably be another merchant thalassocracy in an era already rich in such cultures, even more if the Portuguese make the cut. So Kongo it is.

Industrial - Ethiopia ; Agrarian/Militarist. While I'm content with the Aksumites, Ethiopia could use another representation given its rich and continuous history, and Industrial Ethiopia would fit well as a counterpart to the colonial European cultures.
Industrial - Switzerland ; Merchant/Scientific. While it pains me to settle on yet another Western European power in the Industrial Era, I feel like Switzerland has potential to be a turtle civilization that would suit my playstyle.

Contemporary - South Korea ; Builder/Scientific. The Miracle on the Han River, which saw a poor, agrarian, war-ravaged country become one of the most advanced and developed country in the world, is in my opinion enough to include South Korea in the last era. It would fit well between China, India and Japan as one of the modern Asian powers.
Contemporary - Subsaharan Africa ; Only to give another representation to the continent. I am however torn on the new culture to be included ; I feel like South Africa is more deserving of the spot, but since the majority of its recent history happened under apartheid, it could be really dicey to represent. Nigeria (Agrarian/Merchant) would be the other interesting culture, as the giant of West Africa and a rising, albeit fragile, power.

While your list is quite diverse and inclusive, there are some other cultures missing that I would like to see included at one point in the game's life :

Argentina - Industrial (Builder/Aesthete) ; South America doesn't have an Industrial era representation, and I feel like Argentina could fill a sweet spot as a culture focused on industry and culture.

Vietnam - Classical-Medieval-Early Modern (Militarist/Merchant) ; While I agree with the inclusion of Vietnam, I disagree on the era proposed. Vietnam has a very rich history that could use better representation than the Vietnam War.

Morocco - Medieval/Early Modern (Expansionist/Merchant) ; North Africa has no representation for half the game, and Morocco under the Almohad or Saadian dynasties would be a great addition.

Dahomey - Industrial (Militarist/Aesthete) ; An influent and unique culture in West Africa that resisted colonial rule for a while, and would fill up an underrepresented region from the Medieval era on.

Timurids/Afghanistan - Medieval/Early Modern (Expansionist/Militarist) ; Central Asia is rather underrepresented given how important the region was to global trade for much of humanity's history

A Polynesian culture - Any Era ; As in Civ6 pre-GS, Oceania is for now only represented through the modern country of Australia, focused on industry, while a Polynesian culture could bring something else to the table

It would be nice to see the British and or USA better represented as industrial powerhouses. Britain's development of the steam engine and America's advancing it is ignored in the game. Oh and the Romans are certainly a giant turd for what they accomplished. In other words I would prefer to see many of the cultures fixed and updated before we see new ones.

I think the Etruscans would be a great addition, and the Minoans would be another. Neither is really possible in Civ's model.

It would be nice to see the British and or USA better represented as industrial powerhouses. Britain's development of the steam engine and America's advancing it is ignored in the game. Oh and the Romans are certainly a giant turd for what they accomplished. In other words I would prefer to see many of the cultures fixed and updated before we see new ones.

+1 To this. I imagine balance patches will come before DLCs, and I really hope they do because they are very necessary. The Khmer are OP to the point of being pretty much game-breaking, while many cultures are almost completely useless (Hittites, Romans, Goth...).

There are many cultures I would like to see added to the game (Hebrews, Argentina, South Africa, Portugal, Mapuche...) but nothing new should be added before the balance is fixed. Remember how long it took for Georgia, for example, to not be completely useless in CIV 6? And even now with the game complete they are rather weak. I really would like it if HK dealt with balance issues a bit better before focusing on DLC.

Isn't "none" an option?

I fully agree that there needs to be some balance first. Or maybe prerequisites for choosing a certain culture (and a possibility to select random and thus bypass the prereq). Like Egyptians you need to have your city on a river. Etc

Not sure if that would be fun, but would make the choice a bit more challenging. Right now it's rather too easy. You can build any combination if you are leading (which increases your winning chances even more).

Some cultures on the list are already added and come out as gray (peaceful or shock) but I think you meant to have them useful as a civilization and not a gray one

In Ancient Era I would love to have some ancient Oceanian culture, to be able to have some vibes of the early exploration of the deep seas. No ideas about how to make it balanced :p
In "Something else from Europe", there are some interesting options, like Minoans (which would need something to simulate coastal and island settlement ?), Sardinians and the Nuraghi castle, or the Trypillians and their "moving capital" (if we translate their way of living into humankind gameplay).

I would like to see the Dong Son, an ancient culture in today vietnam, with their bronze drums (altar ?) and their horsemen (scout rider replacement ?).

For Classical Era, I would really love to have the Nabateans. But the suggestions of your poll for this era, are all great potential additions to me.

For Medieval Era, I personally miss having one another islamic empire, middle-eastern or north-african culture... Fatimids, Seljuks, ... than just having the Ummayads.
And an "Indian" culture, like the Cholas, or Majapahit would be really cool.

Inca, I would love to have them ... but in Early Modern :p

For Early Modern Era, A subsaharian culture would be a must-have, the Congolese, Songhai...
I would have voted a north-africa option if it was in the poll : Marrocans would be a great pick for EM too, they got a lot of interesting interactions in this period. Or Alger.

The Mapuche could be interesting for EM .

Another european option, seeing your suggestion of Austria, is Hungary imo.

I am all up for most of your industrial Era poll suggestions, I would really love to have Ashanti, Ethiopians and Meiji. I would say than the poll lack a native american and south american option for that era. A lot of poeple would like to see the Argentinians, and more native americans.

Contemporary Era is not especially my cup of tea in this sort of games, but I voted Czechoslovakia, would be an interesting pick to show the "communist utopia" imagery, with the related singular architectures, and having some balkanic representation.

Last edited:
Contemporary Era is not especially my cup of tea in this sort of games, but I voted Czechoslovakia, would be an interesting pick to show the "communist utopia" imagery, with the related singular architectures, and having some balkanic representation.
Eh, Czechoslovakia is in Central Europe, but that makes me think Yugoslavia might be interesting in the Contemporary era as a Soviet bloc state that had the brass to tell the Soviet Union and Stalin specifically where they could stuff themselves...On which note, I think Bohemia would be a great addition to the Medieval lineup.

I'd also add that since we have Joseon in Early Modern, I'd like to see an Aesthete Silla added in the Middle Ages.

What about "The Sea People" or the Atlanteans.
Can we draw the line at mythical people? There's Endless Legends for that. ;) As for the Sea People, I'd be interested in a Philistine culture, but I'm not sure I'd make it a priority. Given the Philistines were a Canaanized Aegean people, perhaps Greek, Minoan, Anatolian, or, quite likely, all of the above, it seems to me that they'd be a great candidate if a future expansion added some kind of cultural hybridization mechanic.

Can we draw the line at mythical people? There's Endless Legends for that. ;) As for the Sea People, I'd be interested in a Philistine culture, but I'm not sure I'd make it a priority. Given the Philistines were a Canaanized Aegean people, perhaps Greek, Minoan, Anatolian, or, quite likely, all of the above, it seems to me that they'd be a great candidate if a future expansion added some kind of cultural hybridization mechanic.

The Sea Peoples are not mythical and might very well be displaced Atlanteans. I think Atlantis was very real, but have been mythologized for certain. The same could be said about the Olmecs since very little is known about them, but they still have representation in the game.

The Sea Peoples are not mythical and might very well be displaced Atlanteans. I think Atlantis was very real, but have been mythologized for certain. The same could be said about the Olmecs since very little is known about them, but they still have representation in the game.
The Sea Peoples are (probably*) not mythical, but the Atlanteans are. The Olmecs have archaeological evidence of their existence; the Atlanteans do not. There are more than enough interesting historical cultures without resorting to euhemerized myths like the Atlanteans and Aesir and Tuatha de Danann (and personally I think euhemerism is a very sad, very limited, very decapitated way to view myth; it suggests that the factuality of a story is its only relevant attribute).

*That the Philistines existed and were a major power in Canaan and that they came from the Aegean are all indisputable points. That they were "Sea People" or equivalent to the Egyptian Peleset is probable but not indisputable. That there was a mass migration of pirate-like barbarians into the Near East, however, is now seriously disputed by most scholars. The Philistines seem to have been an isolated incident, and Ramses III was probably exaggerating. The Egyptians? Exaggerating? Shocking. That's why in my response I specifically used the term "Philistines," not "Sea People," because if nothing else the Philistines, their migration to the Levant, and their assimilation into Canaanite culture are all well attested in the historical and archaeological record. Before the Phoenicians came to dominate the Levant, the Philistines were probably the primary power in the region, and there's some evidence they survived as a distinct pagan ethnic identity into the Roman period until they were Christianized.

Weren't Sea peoples linked to Sherden,
people of Sardinia and ancestors of Nuragic civilization? They could be much better incarnation of the idea of sea peoples than Philistines
who had ridiculously small population and territory (iirc like five towns and no more than twenty thousand people). Them being such an epic foe is just Bible's way of giving hilariously small backwater context of Palestine a grand literary embellishment. Generally any archeological estimations of Palestines population in ancient era are hilariously low in context of all those epic tales of great wars. Honestly I don't even know what affinity would I give to classical Hebrew culture itself, because all I have read on the subject has convinced me that the area was third rate backwater of ancient Middle East, and would remain such in consciousness if not the fact Judaism and Jewish culture were born here (and great scientific and commercial role of Jews wasn't even until medieval era, and achieved in faraway diaspora).

Last edited:
Weren't Sea peoples linked to Sherden,
people of Sardinia and ancestors of Nuragic civilization?
Ramses III referred to one group of Sea Peoples as the Sherden, yes, but that the Sherden were the Sardinians is only speculation.

They could me much better incarnation of the ifea of sea peoples than philistines who had ridiculously small population and territory (iirc like five towns and no more than twenty thousand people)
Your information is out of date. The Philistines settled most of the coast of southern Canaan (i.e., Palestine, the region between what we would call Lebanon and the Arabah) and had the only major population centers in the region until power eventually shifted away from Ashkelon to Jerusalem. I don't know what recent estimates of their population was, but at the time of their arrival they were considerably greater in wealth, city building, and warfare technologies than the inland Canaanites (the ancestors of the Hebrews, Edomites, Moabites, Ammonites, etc.).

I think including the Nuraghe builders would be interesting, but if the goal is to portray the Sea People specifically, the Philistines are the only people who can firmly be associated with the title as Egyptian Peleset, Hebrew Pelešet, and Akkadian Palastu are generally accepted as equivalent. Though again, the very idea of the "Sea People" is under close scrutiny by modern scholars; the invasion of Canaan by the Philistines was probably an isolated incident. Most likely, the "Sea People" were just ordinary multiethnic pirates and not a people at all.

I expect 1 or 2 expansions of 3 to 5 cultures per era, meaning it should be easy to include all the wishes listed in here.

I do think that for some, they need to be accompanied by new and reformed systems - i.e. the Minoans with early island settling or the Incans will do something with mountains.

The poll and the discussion are however very interesting, and I'm already looking forward to them. :)

Top Bottom