• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What difficulty level will you play first?

What difficulty?

• Settler

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Chieftan

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Warlord

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Regent

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Noble

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Monarch

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Emperor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demigod

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deity

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

MeteorPunch

#WINNING
I played Civ 3 a lot, so I'll start at Regent. I want it to be kind of easy because I know I will screw up dozens of times during the game.:p

note: Noble is the "fair" level that gives the AI and humans the same advantage.

Noble. I can cope with losing my first game, and playing "fair" just seems like the more fun thing to do to begin with.

Was thinking about posting this kind of poll myself. It's a good question given that as time goes on I get more impatient to see the game, and hence revise downward the difficulty level I will play it on so that I can see more of the game quicker

I have played all my games (Civ1, Civ2, Civ3) as Chieftain. It might be a too easy mode for me to play, but somehow I still find it nice. I will start as Chieftain again in Civ4 and if I do well, I will immediately shift to Noble. By the way, don't I get some kind of score bonus if I opt for a higher difficulty?

I think Demi-God in Civ4 is called Immortal :)
Was gonna start at Chieftain but I might plunge into Regent or Noble will have to see...

I'll play Noble, without civ-specific boni (but with UUs). I'll be begging for mercy within a millennium, but it will serve the crucial purpose of founding expectations. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that your first game sets the tone for every future one, and I think that's right. For example, I played an Industrious civ for my first game of Civ3: every game thereafter, if I wasn't Industrious, my workers seemed agonizingly slow.

I'm going to start at Settler so I can get the hang of the new changes, and then each game I'll work my way up until I find a level that's enough of a challenge to be my regular.

Probably start at Chieftan for the first game, that way I can get a sense of the wonders and religions since I'll probably get to all of them first. But this'll be the same game where I just toy around and try stuff out, then I'll move up once I'm really ready to start playing.

Probably start at Chieftan for the first game, that way I can get a sense of the wonders and religions since I'll probably get to all of them first. But this'll be the same game where I just toy around and try stuff out, then I'll move up once I'm really ready to start playing.

edit: sorry for the double post.

Fobok said:
I'm going to start at Settler so I can get the hang of the new changes, and then each game I'll work my way up until I find a level that's enough of a challenge to be my regular.

sounds like a good plan
i was going to play chieften and then jump to noble...
but i like your idea better :D

whatever is the current equivalent of prince in civ/civ2 and regent of civ3. the fair level where I have no other advantage other than my brain, and no obstacle other than the ai... and when I lose it turns out that the metal/silicon bucket is smarter than me.

Noble without any UUs or civ traits; I have no doubt I'll be massacred before I leave ancient - medieval even, if I get lucky - but it'll set the playing field for all my future games.

I'm starting on Noble. Probably stay at that level for a few games until I can figure out how things work.

I was never very good at Civ 3, only really play at Warlord level. So I figure I'll start there and work my way up.

I made the mistake of playing Civ1, Civ2 and Civ3 at Chieftan when I first started playing them. After looking back on that, I think that severely stunted my growth as a competent player on each game. As others have written on here at various times (I've been lurking for some years), it is "best" (open to interpretation and opinion) to start on either the "middle" level, being Noble or on an even harder level to challenge and test yourself. I have found that bumping up the difficulty level and moving out of the comfort zone does make you a better player (and also visiting here often). Sure, you'll probably lose the first few games badly, but treat them as a learning experience and move on.

I intend to treat this game as something I never did with Civ3. I want to be able to play at Deity and win. :evil:

Sadan01 said:
I made the mistake of playing Civ1, Civ2 and Civ3 at Chieftan when I first started playing them. After looking back on that, I think that severely stunted my growth as a competent player on each game. As others have written on here at various times (I've been lurking for some years), it is "best" (open to interpretation and opinion) to start on either the "middle" level, being Noble or on an even harder level to challenge and test yourself. I have found that bumping up the difficulty level and moving out of the comfort zone does make you a better player (and also visiting here often). Sure, you'll probably lose the first few games badly, but treat them as a learning experience and move on.

I intend to treat this game as something I never did with Civ3. I want to be able to play at Deity and win. :evil:

I have similar goals, but I also plan on honing my skills so I can be competitive online as well

I'll probably start noble or one lower. I hate getting half-way thru the game, doing really well and finding no resistance, winning on every side.... I do plan to turn on tutorial tips if there are any.

Well Regent used to be my level for if I wanted a guaranteed victory but I could go up to Monarch (though it was definetly challenging). However when I first started play CivIII (having only played on Chieftan in CivII - didn't have it long) I took an ass kicking in my first game as Chieftan because I simply didn't know how things worked. I don't want this situation again but I also hate it when I don't have a challenge at all so I'll probably start on Regent this time and try and work my way up higher (something I didn't do often in CivIII), though I don't really see the fuss about the old "I can beat the game on all difficulties" - as long as its fun and challenging its fine by me.

Top Bottom