What do we want less of?

What Civ 4 features do we want less of in Civ 5?

• Military units

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Unit promotions and special skills

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Buildings and wonders

• Civilization-unique units, buildings and other features

• Resources

• Religion and religious buildings

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Civics

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Terrain improvements

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Included scenarios

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 16 28.1%

• Total voters
There isn't an option here for "no leader traits", alas. Though I'd also like fewer, i.e. no, unique units and buildings, no unit promotions, and no civics.

There isn't an option here for "no leader traits", alas. Though I'd also like fewer, i.e. no, unique units and buildings, no unit promotions, and no civics.

That already exists; it's called Civ II.

i just want the conquered cities to shut up and stop asking me to rejoin the homeland after i've already said no fifteen times (although, now that i've said this i think i'll let them go declare war and just raze the dang things)

*snort* Do you really want my analysis of everything that is wrong with Civ II ?

Ummm, let me think about this for a moment....ummm, how about NO?

Wow, I voted for Religious Buildings but that was my second choice to Included Scenarios. Really, the earth map should be improved upon where transports, submarines, and missile cruisers ought to be able to sail through the artic region. Civ1, Civ2 and Civ3 you could move your trireme along the continent coast but not in Civ4. Russia has to be able to explore their arctic territory just as Canada and the US are able to explore the Northwest passage.

Included scenarios are nice for those of us that don't want to download too much. Less religion would be nice, however.

Unit promotions: personally, I find this extremely tedious, so I usually play with the option for units to auto-promote *gasp*. A unit with several promotions carefully chosen will not stand a chance if you don't have a technological edge over other civs. Then you will lose it, and then another one, and you feel it was a complete waste of time to chose promotions for them.

Even if they could not be removed from the game, maybe the auto-promote system could be enhanced so that units get promotions based on their fighting experiences (i.e. if successful fighting an archery unit, gain experience against archery units, etc...). Just a thought.

Actually, can we have less war in the game, generally? Or at least make it much harder to declare it (Alt+click on the leader, come on!) or, rather, to come to a situation where it can be declared? I know war is historically very significant, but in my opinion it is far too whimsical in the game.

Peace to all :cool:

Unit promotions: personally, I find this extremely tedious, so I usually play with the option for units to auto-promote *gasp*. A unit with several promotions carefully chosen will not stand a chance if you don't have a technological edge over other civs. Then you will lose it, and then another one, and you feel it was a complete waste of time to chose promotions for them.

Tedious, yes but a level 7+ horsemen that is carefully upgraded to a gunship has the overwhelming odds against a tank. Out of 12 Calvary units, the strongest are the ones you want to save and attack last with and the weak you want to attack first and build more of later to supplement the strong. There is value for an experienced unit vs. non-experienced unit and if loosing a level 7+ unit occurs for a good purpose then it's all part of the game.

Tedious, yes but a level 7+ horsemen that is carefully upgraded to a gunship has the overwhelming odds against a tank.

You really find messing about with a horseman for that long more fun than dealing with the tank by building an economy such that you can make tanks faster than the other civ, or developing tech such that by the time tanks are around the units you have to hand will walk over them ?

I don't, because the first is a tactical combat game approach, and the second is an empire-building game approach.

Actually, can we have less war in the game, generally? Or at least make it much harder to declare it (Alt+click on the leader, come on!) or, rather, to come to a situation where it can be declared? I know war is historically very significant, but in my opinion it is far too whimsical in the game.

There are several ways I would like to see this addressed.

It would help if there were options other than full-scale war. Skirmishes, particularly early on in the game.

It would help if war cost a lot more; I would like to see the revival of units having home cities and costing them shields, unhappiness and/or food, as well as costing money.

It would help if other aspects were powered up in comparison. Give me back Civ 2-type spies able to bribe enemy units, for example. Give me a strengthened culture system whereby enemy units on your soil have a chance of defecting to you that increases every turn, controlled by how good your cultural development is. (This i think works much better with Civ 3 culture than Civ 4's model, but that's dumb anyway.)

If the cost of building an army to go conquer someone is having greatly reduced protection against your cities deciding another civ is basically a better place and revolting to join it, that would make war a pleasingly less dominant strategy.

Top Bottom