What do you name your religion?

Like others, I try to pick a religion that is/was somewhat common in the civ that I'm playing. Plus, I do try to pick one with a symbol with a color that contrasts with my dominant civ color.

If my 10-year-old son is nearby, I'll ask him to pick one. If he chooses a custom one, I'll let him name it. My favorite name he's given is Wavy Lineism (for that water/wave symbol).

I almost always choose the lion symbol, and call my religion Aslanism.

One game I went with the crab instead. That was Crabism.

Your oversensitive, patronising attitude is much more childish than the utterly non-inflammatory comment of the previous poster, into which you read malice which simply was not there.
Thank you for offering a suitable and spot-on ripost to that person. We certainly don't need a flame war here, and I never intended or expected one. You provided a much better response than I might have.

Since I'm not at all religious, personally, I will often name my custom religion Rationality.
Why bother getting great prophet points though if you're just going to refer to it as something essentially areligious?

I pick the Jewish star and name it "Gayism".

Sky Pixies.

giving it a humorous (childish?) name. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses Mooism with the Cow icon :).
For the record, I have no issue with him calling his religion "Rationality", that's not what I was referring to. It's the fact he started his sentence with "because I'm not religious... ", that is where the implication that religious people are irrational is found, not in the name "Rationality". My comment was not about the name, it was about the phrasing. Just wanted to be sure that was clear. I could reply to the other things you said but that would only turn this into the discussion I said we should avoid so I'll just take your comments. They are true anyway, (and could apply just as much to yourself), even if far from conclusive. Admittedly, I could've phrased my own response in a much nicer way as well, so, @qadams sorry about that.

Last edited:
Trying to use historical default. If not available, then I go for some of them signs and invent some funny name, but still somewhat related to who I'm playing (e.g. something like "Romans go home" for Carthage, etc.)

There were minor religions that clinged to either Abraham, Dharma, or both. originated from Persia or Middle Easterns too. Ones included those that recognized John the Baptist as a prophet, the other appeared first in Old Rome, and later made a final stand in China and appeared in Jin Yong (Louis Cha) writings (They appeared in many of his novels, rivaling to existing Wulin superpowers like Shaolin, Wudang, Wubai (?)), referred to as 'Devil's Party' (simply because they practiced Mannealism (??) which contradicts to generally accepted religions of old China (Taoism, Confucianism, and even Buddhism)).

Why bother getting great prophet points though if you're just going to refer to it as something essentially areligious?
I don't like the religion mechanic in Civ 6 much at all. It doesn't seem realistic or feel organic to me, just very gamey. So I treat it simply as another building block toward victory, not bothering to worry about role-playing or immersion.

I usually go with historical religion for the Civ I'm playing, but if there's not one for such Civ or the one I want's been taken, I do invent custom religions sometimes, usually naming them either after the symbols or after some great feature I've met on my map.
I've had Tortoism (Tortoise symbol religion) as Greece, Pávism (Peacock symbol religion - Páv is Czech term for peacock) as Brazil and then Cocoism (Plant symbol religions - I spawned in middle of great cocoa jungle), also as Brazil...

Top Bottom