1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Infinity as a concept?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

2. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

This is kind of misleading. What they actually want to say is that the global curvature of the universe is very small, perhaps zero. If you think of the universe as the surface of a 4-sphere or something similar, then you'd get a really big, perhaps infinite volume. However, Pacman has no curvature and his universe is certainly limited.

3. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

4. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

I think what Warpus was interested in was information on "rules for addition and multiplication of infinity", this is what the first link is about.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I glanced through these and saw infinite sets, infinite sums, cardinalities of inifinite sets and so on. All perfectly fine concepts that don't require infinity to be a number, but it's possible I missed something since I'm in a bit of a rush.

I was looking for examples of infinity being used in an equation in a way other than you'd use it as a concept when dealing with infinite sums for example. Dealing with the cardinality of infinite sets is similar.

6. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Here you go.

∞ + 8 = ∞

J