What ever happened to Microprose?

I thought they got bought over by Infogrammes which is why Infogrammes can produce Civ3 cos they now own the rights to the trademark?

Let's not even get into the whole who owns the title "Civilization" thing. :) I remember reading about the lawsuits about that a few years ago.

This should probably go into the All Other Games section, and I reckon that someone will transfer it at some point, but does anyone remember Knights of the Sky by Microprose? It was a wonderful WW1 flight sim, and loads of fun to play. It was nothing superb as far as today's flight sims go, but the playability more than made up for not having the smoothest graphics in the world. I particularly enjoyed the intro sequence, which was in the old cine-film style and accompanied by jangly piano music. Cool!
I also loved Microprose Golf, which wasn't even a good golf game when compared to others, but I had mastered it and could thrash all my mates so it had an obvious appeal. I always used to await the latest Microprose releases eagerly and pore over the Amiga reviews, expecting another wonderful game. Microprose were great, and it's a shame they are no more, although I'm sure that their programmers are all still working elsewhere, producing games of the same quality. :goodjob:

Originally posted by duke o' york
This should probably go into the All Other Games section, and I reckon that someone will transfer it at some point, but does anyone remember Knights of the Sky by Microprose?
I decided to leave it here as it would die a slow death in All Other Games. Stick to posting and I will continue to be a moderator here. :p j/k

One game that I liked that Micropose published was Birth of the Federation. It was a cool strategy game but not quite as good as Civ. I did enjoy the battles more though

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
One game that I liked that Micropose published was Birth of the Federation. It was a cool strategy game but not quite as good as Civ. I did enjoy the battles more though

Theres a nice thread about this game in the other games forum. Both Cornmaster and Palehorse play it so I think you will be let off from going slightly off topic...

Well it is on topic what I said Micropose did produce this great game and there will be no more support or patches or anything like that

Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
Well it is on topic what I said Micropose did produce this great game and there will be no more support or patches or anything like that

There is talk of an independent group making BOTF2 as a MOD or Patch to BOTF. Should fix the major bugs and add a few races. Like the Dominion, mayber smaller ones like the Gorn, Breen, etc...
I think the website was supposed to be www.botf2.org but it wasn't up the last time I checked.

yeah I heard about that the website was www.botfseries2.org but then they changed the name to Star Trek Universal Evolution. I used to be a very active poster on there message board but ever since they moved there site to www.st-universalevolution.org I haven't been able to access their forums. There is a message there about the forums being down recently but I haven't been able to get there for months. If there are people there who are on this board now I was registered there as Locutus

Yeah i really loved their message boards. I was there from around day one. And spent many hours talking to people like S1SKO and RouTaran. I just hope that their forums will be up and running soon (and hopefully I can access them.) I really hope that no one has stolen my name in absence.

The game was a good concept. from what I understood (A lot of this is from memory so details are laking) the galatic map would be around 4X the size and it would be divide in Quadrants (Alpha, Beta, Gamma Delta) The races would be roughly where they are situated. The Dominion would be added they would be in the Gamma Quad, UFP in Alpha, Roms and Klingons in Beta and the mighty Borg in Delta. The borg would have their own territory. Also every minor race would be incorprated into the game.
The ships would be have three speed High Warp, Traveling, Slow. Dilithium would be required to maintain the ship traveling when outside your territory. The combat would be improved. Small battles would be Dominion Wars style while Large Battles would be much like they are now. Each ship and Starbase would have a captain or Admiral assigned to it wiith varying stats

I hope this information helps. Some of it might not be accurate due to the fact that I haven't been able to get to their message board in a LONG time

Originally posted by Dell19
Theres a nice thread about this game in the other games forum. Both Cornmaster and Palehorse play it so I think you will be let off from going slightly off topic...
What, you thin that we allow people to go off-topic just b/c we like what they said.......I guess you are correct! ;)
Wolfe said:
Unfortunately Micropose didn't seem to good at providing patches (or at least I didn't like them much). Fortunately Civ3 seems to be getting patched better IMHO.

Top Bottom