1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a district, why is it so hard to repair?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Whose do you want a peek at Dennis?

2. Victoria

Of course we have not considered the spaceport cannot be repaired too fast and also no spaceports means no lasers either.
    The issue is really only a problem early game when you have little production and loss of a district/city is so much more vital.
    Just turning disasters off is not an option because flood plains start 1/1 which I feel is part of the issue, certainly nerfed Cleo a bit early.

acluewithout likes this.
  3. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Warlord

I guess one simple way to look at it would be: How serious should a pillaged district be? Looking at the general impact of pillaging in other cases (improvements and buildings) it seems like the intent is that it should be fairly cheap to recover from pillaging, which makes sense given how easy it is to pillage (or get pillaged by e.g. a natural disaster).

That's when the district repair cost sticks out: Oh, so when a district is pillaged late game (when district costs are high), repairing them should be a major investment.
    That could be intended game mechanics, e.g. as a measure to stop run-away civs, but it seems suspicious. Then why are buildings so cheap to repair for example?

4. Victoria

So normally a single district gets pillaged, maybe a couple of mines. In these cases the number of turns is low, if you lose more and all of your mines then a worker or two gets you most of the way there.
    Early on when you only have a small border, and a mine or 2 and no surviving support district like an IZ/power station then it can be quite different and worse.
    In the worst case later in the game you may lose 1/10 of your entire production, but early game it’s a lot larger.

5. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

IRL, early cities disappeared right and left, due to warfare, natural disaster (drought was a big one) and other causes, but in the game, where in the Ancient Era you have, at most, 3 - 5 cities, losing one at near random is Not Acceptable, so the game makes it really hard to lose a city except to major enemy invasion: barbarians, disasters, simply won't do it.
    Having 'nerfed' Bad Things To Cities, though, they have maintained Really Bad Things For Districts, which seems to be quite the opposite to the general intent of the game design. If the city is still there but Unproductive, it's almost as bad as Not There, and if its placement on the map antagonizes another Civ, it may be worse.
    At the very least, then, Districts should be much easier to repair, or the repair costs more in line with the Resources available to the cities, in the first 2 - 3 Eras of the game. The fact that a city with Pop 15 or more and developed Production Resources can repair a District in a dozen turns does the player no good when the same amount of damage has been done to the district in a city of Pop 6 with a single Watermill!

TheMeInTeam and Victoria like this.
  6. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

I think the screenshot seems fair. Repairing a market only cost 37 production, if this takes you 7 turns, your city is only running at 5 prod/turn. So it is not surprising that every other thing takes a long time.

It is just because repairing a market costs too few production, so every other thing costs a lot compared to it.

7. ezysquire

ezysquire Warlord

Military Engineer repair job yes please.

8. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

Thanks all, we think we have a handle on this.

Jkchart, Atlas627, Gorbles and 4 others like this.
  9. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Hey, thanks! Really good to see you guys here, and really really like you guys letting us know somethings on your radar!

Good luck!

Jkchart and King Rad like this.
  10. Victoria

So here a full loyalty city, 24 turns to repair the Holy Site but oinly 1 turn to repair the shrine.... Save included
    upload_2019-7-30_1-0-33.png

Attached Files:

11. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Honestly that you can't rush repair a pillaged district with engineers, builders, or gold is a travesty.

steveg700 and acluewithout like this.
  12. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Travesty might be a bit strong. I think there are just a lot of mechanics and FXS didn’t anticipate how various mechanics would interact to create this problem and or fixing the issue wasn’t that straightforward.

Anyway, not to worry. FXS have said they’ll address it in the next patch.

Ziad likes this.
  13. Vincent_lacruz

Vincent_lacruz Chieftain

Well, repair should at minimum be considered a city project, bonus wise. And although I would want engineers or builder to be able to rush repairs (à la Royal Society), I don't think gold should be possible since at least with builder the cost is gradualy higher, with gold you might be able to pillage, conquer and repair and still make a profit (with the good bonus).

14. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Emperor

1. Did you play a long game settings (Epic or Marathon for example)?
    2. I think you might overexpanded your empire. How many cities do you have? How far each of your cities usually are? (My favorite is six hexes away and built in perfect 'No overlapping' patterns, whenever possible)
    3. I don't know what is a balancing philosophy Firaxis uses? permitting builder to replair TI without spending a charge, but can't repair districts AT ALL.

15. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Increased district costs is a necessary deterrent for quick overexpansion but I dont think repairs should be held to the same regard.

Atlas627 and King Rad like this.
  16. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Is the district repair time the same as building a new one from scratch? In that case being able to easily take a damaged city should come with some cost to adding a new district to your empire.

17. Victoria

1/2

18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Well I would think that pillaging the district is necessary when adding the city to your territory becomes more urgent than keeping the district intact. It could be because of an emergency timer or an enemy is bearing down on you and you need to weaken the city's strength so you can get inside. A half cost district that you presumably pillaged yourself for yields doesn't sound too bad either.

19. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Is the cost to repair a district calculated from the base cost or the increased "multiple-of-the-same-district" cost? That could be part of the problem right there if it's the latter.

20. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

That cost is "you already have more than the average number among civs", not "multiple-of-the-same-district".