What is happycap?

Pelaka

Chieftain
Sorry for the newbie question... but many of the threads talk about "happycap" as something that limits city growth, especially with civ's such as the Khazad. Is this just the limit on +happyness? If so, I'm not sure I understand the issue... in most of my games I can easily get more then enough happyness using food/luxuory resources.

Is this something that you don't really feel until you play at higher difficulty levels? If so, then the dwarven vault mechanic might need adjusting for lower difficulty games.

Pel.

Pelaka said:
Sorry for the newbie question... but many of the threads talk about "happycap" as something that limits city growth, especially with civ's such as the Khazad. Is this just the limit on +happyness? If so, I'm not sure I understand the issue... in most of my games I can easily get more then enough happyness using food/luxuory resources.

Is this something that you don't really feel until you play at higher difficulty levels? If so, then the dwarven vault mechanic might need adjusting for lower difficulty games.

Pel.

I just assumed that it meant at some level the unhappyiness from population will exceed the happiness you are able to pump into the city. But I may be misunderstanding it as well.

The happy cap is the current size to which a city can grow without going into unhappiness (wasted food in unproductive citizens). It's normally only a big problem in the early game before you get all your luxuries, buildings built and religion spread around.

In vanilla games it's a good indicator of when to whip some of the time - not so much in FfH unless you're OO.

This is a difficulty issue. On Monarch (and above) your max :) starts out at 4 and maybe lower above Emperor. If the dwarven vault is giving 1 :mad: then your 'happycap' is only 3. Not very good for early expansion.

Well, keep in mind the Khazad palace provides gold, so it negates the effect of the dwarevn vault until you get your first unconnected city.

Top Bottom