What is "normal"?

I am just wondering, how can people call other's wierd or strange?
Who judges what is normal and what is not? Pop-culture? Then the world is going down the horsehockyter.
Why do people need to conform, to be clones, in order to be "normal"
Why is being yourself such a crime in this culture?

xyourxmomxcorex said:
I am just wondering, how can people call other's wierd or strange?
Because they are.
Who judges what is normal and what is not? Pop-culture? Then the world is going down the horsehockyter.
Normality is decided by the socially dominant element in society. In this democratic age, that's close enough to the majority
Why do people need to conform, to be clones, in order to be "normal"
Homo sapiens is a social species. A certain amount of conformism is needed to make society function.
Why is being yourself such a crime in this culture?
See above.

Pretending to be a nonconformist when (as TLC points out) we are social creatures is moronic to the extreme, especially when nonconformism is a pop culture fad of its own (as TLC's awesome username points out).

So yeah TLC basically just sums it all up perfectly.

TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC

Fifty said:
Pretending to be a nonconformist when (as TLC points out) we are social creatures is moronic to the extreme, especially when nonconformism is a pop culture fad of its own (as TLC's awesome username points out).

So yeah TLC basically just sums it all up perfectly.

TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC TLC
Ill agree too..nonconformists are really just conforming to thier friends so they can feel like rebels....esspaclly common with the MTV crowd...

The Last Conformist said:
Because they are.

But what if a Conformist from one group joins another group involuntarily?

Is that anti-conformitarian or just staying with the old ways.

I don't get the premise that "it's a crime to be yourself in this culture". I'm certainly myself, and what's anybody gonna do about it? Think what they want, say what they want, etc. Meanwhile I really couldn't care less. I have my own ideas about other peoples' behavior but I keep it to myself. All in all, people are funny, in general. But, no reason to be conerned about any of it. It's this whole "I care about what you think of me" concept, that I really just don't get. Most people (maybe even close to all) are a bunch of dimwit fools that think they have all the answers, but they're just as lost as anyone else - so who cares what they think. There is no substitute for maintaining your own strong sense of self-worth, self-image, and self-esteem. Putting other people in charge of that -while possibly a natural temptation- is for the simple-minded.

Bottom line is, don't put any faith into what other people say, or think. Figure it all out for yourself. "Normal", is basically just a bandwagon, that is constantly evolving (sometimes for better, sometimes not).

Their is nothing a nonconformist hates more than a conformist apart from another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.

I think this sums it all up

Be yourself try and get on with people. What everyone else thinks of me is important of course, but I don't go out of my way to conform to society, I'm just being me and if you don't like it that's your prerogative.

Rules for conformity

1) if you want to be a conformist buy a mobile phone, essential prole material, and make sure you upgrade it every six months so you don't look old fashioned or at least get a different colour.

2) Dress the same or very similar to everyone else in your social group

3) pick out a target group your social group can all hate

4) thinking for yourself is dangerous, select an alpha male or female and slavishly agree with what they say

5) mock those who are poor, have no fashion sense or are just wierd or different

6) Popualrity is everything nothing or no one else matters unless it's a means to becoming more popular

7) Hair is key, bad hair days are a reality and a fact of life. Be prepared

8) Be shallow, try not to express non mainstream points of view, try and conform to the accepted norm of what people say is accepted behaviour and politics

9) Authority figures are king, you may rebel against them but try to do it in a way that makes you look cool without actually getting any form of punishment. If you chose to be confrontational apologise later to said authority figure when your friends can't see you.

10) follow the rules, learn not to question authority or rules regardless of how outmoded outdated or innapropriate they are. Chastise loudly any who break the rules regardless of how much common sense it took or any benefit they got from doing so.

11) you are a robot, try and model your behaviour on a robot and you can't go far wrong.

Right can someone put up some rules for the non conformist;)

I would rather explain the state of being abnormal, because it is the minority in mot situation and therefore the causes attached to it is more obvious and easier to explain. It can sometimes be very hard to tell who or what is normal, if you are unfamiliar with the local customs. This is what I find most people think acceptable as abnormal.

People with Down syndrome, they are definitely abnormal. People make special effort to be nicer or crueler to them than usual. People who are handicapped, same behavioural pattern as with down syndrome emerges. Stupid or ignorant people, everyone hates them, therefore they are negatively abnormal, same thing is applied to Nazis or self proclaimed racist/bigot/male sexist , no normal person call themself those things even if they are.

THis reminds me of something my friend was telling me on Wednesday.

My friend really goes in for the whole Industrial-Goth thing, lots of make up and a few piercings and gothy black cloths etc. She was telling me that she was in a chip shop in London with some other like minded friends when this guy came up and started trying to talk to them asking them why 'they were weird and he was normal'. They told him not to talk to them anymore, given that it was 1am and in some random place and he was a stranger. She says that after a minute or 2 he turned to them and said 'why won't you talk to me when your the weirdo's and i'm the normal one???!!!' and then ran off.

But yeah, makes you wonder about some people!

Remove the abnormal people and see what's left over?

From reading many of the posts I would sure know where to start. :mischief:

Lord Olleus said:
Their is nothing a nonconformist hates more than a conformist apart from another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.

I think this sums it all up

Did you just say that in some kind of non-conformist's attempt to conform to non-conformity?

Does that make you normal or abnormally seeking the standard norm of abnormality?

My head hurts.

Non conformity erm Guidelines

1) Disagree with the status quo even if you agree with the status quo

2)the government is always wrong even if you voted for them, they are just wrong OK, on everything

3) friends are anyone who agrees with you about anything whatever it is, enemies are anyone who disagrees with you about anything no matter what it is, uniformity of non conformity is paramount

4) Be different, say things deliberately to shock and outrage the squares.

5) rules are made to be broken

6) Except for the non conformity guidelines, or any rule that promotes whatever it is you happen to think on any given day

7) Fashion is not cool, chique, Suave or stylish: style is having no fixed style and never wearing the same thing as anyone else or two days running: this is style

8)People who look at you as if your a freak are wrong

9) You are a freak, act like one damn it!!!

10) Never ever follow someone or elect someone as your leader, you are your leader as elected and ordained by you

11) Prudes, squares, prepies, whatever you want to call them are evil!!!

12) Being rebelious is about rebelling not about conforming unless conforming is a type of rebellion against rebelious mainstream elements then it's rebelling and therefore is OK

13) change your mind often, keep your enemies on there toes

14) Hate law order and conformity in any form but use and exploit those who follow it

15) never ever ever accept advice guidence rules or laws from anyone at face value

16) You are the wheat in the wind you bend whichever way it takes you but you do not break like the chaff of the conformist

17) Chaos is good

18) anarchy is good

19) nihilism is good

20) Everything is bad at some point, it's all a matter of what you feel

21) Guidelines are for chumps

22) Did I say the pope's a dress wearing fag who espouses evil in Satans factory of the damned: no!!: have posters t shirts and buttons made immediately(memo to self)

23) Go forth and deviate

24) Rules 1-24 should be ignored

Is a nonconformist's political philosophy,anarchism?
I can't see it any other way.

no it's against whatever the norm is. So its the promotion of supreme neutrality in the form of opposition to mainstream. If that mainstream was anarchy then it would be law and order:)

So a nonconformist,whether it be political or simple philosophy of life,is contradiction against any conventional groups in sake of contradition of any given conventional groups.:crazyeye:

So a real nonconformist only chance of not conforming is to lock him/herself in a cave,unless he or she can constantly change it self[by contradicting from it] from any changes of belief or mannerism that happen to be a norm.

Yep:crazyeye: :lol: and yep :crazyeye: :lol:

'Normal' or 'Weird' are merely subjective terms.

And they only have meaning in the context of the mind of the beholder.

I consider 'normal' people to be insane...Just because they outnumber
me does not really mean they are right or have the moral high ground....

:)

Perfection said:
A line perpendicular to the tangent (or surface).
You don't think you have enough geek cred already?

I was actually considering making that joke, but decided against it on the grounds it was too obvious.

Top Bottom