What is that violet-white civ on the mini map down there?

Am I the only one seeing a clear difference between the two whites posted side by side? I'm not arguing for or against, but I think it's worth pointing out that while the purples are the same, the whites are actually quite different.

The only difference between the colours appears to be artefacts from compression, which is exactly what's to be expected considering that we only have small dots on a compressed image to get that one from. Even so, whilst there is a "visible" difference (which most people would miss), the actual number values of the colours are again pretty much identical.

Put bluntly, the colours of the "unknown" civ are the ones from the Venetian flag, and the only way this could conceivably happen is if they got it from said flag. Now either they thought the colour pairing was absolutely dapper after having spent some took looking at the Venetian flag in detail, and decided "well whatever, let's use these colours off the Venetian flag on someone else why not?", or they decided to use these ones for Venice whilst looking for an appropriate, but unique, colour combination for them.

New to posting been looking for a while and I was trying to look at the city and see what other civs have that same type of coloring and buildings. It is for sure not an asian civ. The closest civs to the purple civ where Ethiopia, Egypt, and the Netherlands. So I don't think it is an American civ since what I can tell there is more grey in their cities in the modern era and in European and African civs they have more of a beige to brown look on their buildings. Could be totally off base but that is what I have noticed.

At the end of the day, despite my lack of admiration for the purple theory, it's most likely Venice and has a unique ability that affects it's capital; since it was a city-state. It would explain why the capital is so cultured.

thats what i thought. probably huge bonuses from incoming trade routes

I'm not entirely convinced the purple is Venice, however I will concede that they saw that the actual Venetian flag is a combination of red and yellow, realized they have used every shade of red possible by now (often with yellow) and decided to think outside the box.

Put bluntly, the colours of the "unknown" civ are the ones from the Venetian flag,

Problem is, I don't know where the author of that flag in Wikipedia got that purple color from. File description points to this site as its source, but here's the corresponding flag in that site:
Spoiler :

No purple and white, just blue and gold instead. And no other Venetian flag has purple in it.

New to posting been looking for a while and I was trying to look at the city and see what other civs have that same type of coloring and buildings. It is for sure not an asian civ. The closest civs to the purple civ where Ethiopia, Egypt, and the Netherlands. So I don't think it is an American civ since what I can tell there is more grey in their cities in the modern era and in European and African civs they have more of a beige to brown look on their buildings. Could be totally off base but that is what I have noticed.

i think the city you were analyzing is clearly morocco's. the mysterious civ we're on about is only seen on the minimap, not at the actual game screen. but welcome to the forums anyway! :)

Problem is, I don't know where the author of that flag in Wikipedia got that purple color from. File description points to this site as its source, but here's the corresponding flag in that site:
Spoiler :

No purple and white, just blue and gold instead. And no other flag has purple in it.

:popcorn:

Speaking of which, there's this flag on Wikicommons:

(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Little_Russia.PNG)

"Little Russia" (or "Malorossia") was the 'nickname' of Ukraine for many centuries. However, I cannot find this flag anywhere else, so it may have been made up.

For comparison, here are the colours from that flag on the right, with the colours seen in the screenshot on the left:

For further comparison, here's Rome as seen in the game:

Finally, here's the colours from the Venetian Flag:

Hmmm...

Spoiler :

No purple and white, just blue and gold instead. And no other flag has purple in it.

but it's pretty obvious where firaxis got that purple color from, isn't it? they were probably just glad that there was some relation of the new civ to a color scheme not used by anyone else yet and went for it, without much background checking.

edit: getting my :popcorn: anyway :D

Spoiler :

No purple and white, just blue and gold instead. And no other Venetian flag has purple in it.

Does it matter where the purple came from. Rightly or wrongly, it looks like they almost certainly got the colours straight off the flag as it was represented off wikipedia. Whether the colours are accurate or true to anything else to do with Venice at that point becomes irrelevant, as it's not about whether they are really "Venetian Colours", but rather, we can directly pin point where they got the colours from right down to the image source.

Are you amused? :p

Yeah. If it turns out that there never was actually purple on the Venetian flag than this speculation was based on nothing.

but it's pretty obvious where firaxis got that purple color from, isn't it? they were probably just glad that there was some relation of the new civ to a color scheme not used by anyone else yet and went for it, without much background checking.

So they just grabbed a color from a dubious flag on Wikipedia?:rolleyes:

:D

The lengths the antivenetian and provenetian camps will go to. Source checking, fake flags, oh the spectacle!

Which camp would you consider me in? I don't want Venice in, but I'm convinced they are.

Yeah. If it turns out that there never was actually purple on the Venetian flag than this speculation was based on nothing.

Doesn't matter, we have the image source of the colours used, whether it's accurate to a traditional Venetian Flag or not. They've not going to have picked those colours by chance.

:D

The lengths the antivenetian and provenetian camps will go to. Source checking, fake flags, oh the spectacle!

Yes this truly is entertaining! I wouldn't mind Venice being in as long as the leader is good ol blind Enrico Dandolo.

Yes this truly is entertaining! I wouldn't mind Venice being in as long as the leader is good ol blind Enrico Dandolo.

He's blind. Does the color matter?

Does it matter where the purple came from. Rightly or wrongly, it looks like they almost certainly got the colours straight off the flag as it was represented off wikipedia. Whether the colours are accurate or true to anything else to do with Venice at that point becomes irrelevant, as it's not about whether they are really "Venetian Colours", but rather, we can directly pin point where they got the colours from right down to the image source.

Sure, that's a way of viewing it... I prefer to think the developers put a little more effort in selecting colors for a civ.

Sure, that's a way of viewing it... I prefer to think the developers put a little more effort in selecting colors for a civ.

Can you give a better reason for why they ended up with exactly the purple and cream you'd get off of wikipedia's "Venetian Flag"? The odds of hitting exactly those colours are slim to nil, we're taking lottery level odds here.

Top Bottom