What is the best use of gold?

First, I only purchase something if I think it help speed my victory condition. Second, I try to purchase items that I want, but I'm busy with something else that I'm getting a production bonus for.

For example, I may have a city on a coast without fresh water that I want to get to size 4 to place a second District. While I'm busy building military with the production bonus, I may use gold for a granary so I can grow faster to place the district earlier so it has a smaller production cost. This also allows me to switch the city to minimal food / max production earlier if I only want to get to size 4. Not sure that is the best use, but it is one way I use it.

Hm.

Calculated values seem a bit off. Hansas are half-price off, but other than that, diamond-formation CH+IZ from Germany is at least worth +5 cogs but generally +6 or more. Better positions allow for +8-+10 in many sites. Since you're running Craftsmen because all your cities have Hansas, that's worth an additional +5 cogs at least, but sometimes as much as +16-+20 production in cities just from the Hansa and Craftsmen.

Factories are +3 and project their bonuses. I usually get 3 or 4 cities in one IZ zone, but sometimes 5 or 6. Power Plants are the same - +4 all around. They're worth rush-buying so you get the bonuses right off, and you generally only need one or two - three at most and you could just build that last one in a powerful production city.

Campuses partially get their value from the GPs, and IZs feel like they ought to be the same. Aside from the instant build Engis, there are +2 Production, instant Workshop+Factory (and +2 to the Factory) and +2 to Factory and Power Plant (both projected), So you could conceivably, as Japan, project as much as +10 cogs per IZ to 4 cities per IZ. I have actually done this in a game and it wasn't particularly hard to get up. That IZ itself had +4 adjacency from mines and quarries and +2 more from Districts (Meiji Restoration). +6 adjacency, no problem, though it didn't make sense to Craftsmen it up since I only ran about 3 IZs.

So I think a hard devaluation of IZs doesn't make sense and isn't put in enough context. That first IZ you put up in a central location with great adjacencies is going to be worth a lot, and it doesn't have to be a particularly big city to do that. If you have to plunk down a 6 pop city in the middle of nowhere with mainly hills to work - that's fine. Great, even. Overlapping IZ are worth less.

Finally, there's false equivalency in here in equating the hammers put into IZs and Factories with direct hammers. You can't always value them that way because you can't always build what you need straight off. The obvious one is the Science Vic projects. You can't build those from the off, so any way you can boost the cog output of a city in the future counts as banking the cogs for future use. The same is true for Civs with UUs that aren't replacement units because you can't build them in the Ancient Era (looking at you Samurai) and then just upgrade away.

This is true for anything for which you do not have the science or culture to build yet - Archeologists, Museums, Cristo Redentor, Eiffel Tower.

Last edited:
Except I think science victory is all about chopping for production and buying the right great persons. So if you spend your gold on the wring things like factories you will be slower than if you work the system

Top Bottom