1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best use of gold?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Disgustipated, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Any point in building izs for the great engineers?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

one lumber mill for the eureka :) .... maybe some in weak prod cities but you can build new forests for lumber mulls once you get conservation... and chopping in some theatres speeds that up

Yes, when you use the mausoleum it's worth it to some degree.

3. soulsprit

soulsprit Chieftain

It depends on the city placement.
    When I found a city that ultimately extends to a 8x8 tile expanded zone with only flat lands near a floodplain area with surrounding wheat and i.e. cattle resources I usually only have a few tiles to create lumber mills and leave room for my districts resulting in low production.
    On such a city I usually build a IZ then spare enough gold during the mid through late game to build the workshop or factory.
    Or use a great engineer if gained to supply a workshop and factory.

Cities that already have very high production usually outpace the available civis and tech buildings that leaves priority to building and expanding a IZ in such a city. Only if theres enough growth to supply citizens and housing for other future crucial districts that are beneficial to the city placement.
    If there are mountains nearby there needs to be a Campus.
    A combination of mountains, Woods and natural wonder (all three or any two of all three) and I will build a holy site.

A high production city late game will get a IZ in advance to aquire the maximum number of hammers for space race projects.

However, I would certainly not prioritize every city in the game with IZ's. The profit is to marginal as Victoria pointed out. Although I haven't myself magnified the numbers subjectively as he did. But the benefit is not below par, it is unworthingly marginal.

I do buy buildings most noticeably monuments, but only when the economy allows and this varies per game and game type like IZ buildings for instance.
    Others are unit upgrades, tile expansion and buying traders.
    Ofcourse tile expansion pays back as mentioned earlier by someone so that you can sell strategic and luxuries.
    Even when my location lacks luxuries I often plop cities that offer a quantity of strategic resources or a quantity of similar luxuries just to sell them off.
    That way I can buy neccessary luxuries and plan ahead to find new ones myself.
    Or just make some extra cash :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  4. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

I agree 100% that unit upgrading is way too powerful as is. This is especially true for civs with strong ancient and classical era UUs as the AI can't kill them, so you may have all the units you need by T40 or T50. At a minimum the Professional Army card should be nerfed. With this policy it's trivial to get the required upgrade gold in time for any push that comes post-Mercenaries which covers just about everything outside of Warriors into Swords or UUs (the gold for which is also trivial in ~90% of games) although I suppose that Stirrups is obtainable before Mercenaries if you beeline it.

The console game, Civilization Revolution, only allowed unit upgrades in very limited circumstances. Germany's civ bonus allowed their "elite" troops to auto-upgrade at the required tech or you could build the Leonardo's Workshop wonder to get a one time upgrade. Otherwise obsolete units could be scrapped for half their hammer cost in gold.

Such a system would be preferable in Civ VI, imo. As you pointed out it would necessitate hard building later units which means no more ignoring infrastructure. It would also provide a hard-stop to those civs which are strong early as the venerable UUs become junk once the other civs can defend against them. Then maybe spamming War Carts, Eagle Warriors, etc. might be a bit more questionable when you know you'll have to sell them off cheap later and start over building an army.

Olleus likes this.
  5. Mark the Bold

Mark the Bold Chieftain

Just to be clear, the reason you could not catch up was because you spent money on a Granary, or that you did NOT spend money on a granary?

6. Victoria

There was a 1 culture/science wonder and the best settling of it was without water.... The player who got to feudalism faster bought a granary there. it was GOTM19

6otM 19 After Action

7. Chibisuke

Chibisuke Chieftain

IZ is not that great just for increasing production unless you get tons of adjacency bonus and use the policy card that doubles IZ adjacency. Then it can be useful, but otherwise not so much. The main purpose for me of building IZ is to get great engineers. Some of them are pretty good, especially the ones that give bonus production to wonders. However getting great engineers can be challenging on deity level unless you are really on top of things.

8. Victoria

Not many wonders are worth it unless you are playing a longer game, immersing. Sure you can speed up the one or 2 you need but at the price of IZ

9. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Umm... This can't be tied to difficulty level, no? Factory and power plant bonuses still affect every city within 6 tiles for me...

10. Victoria

Are you sure? It's was heavily tested and detested when it was done. I even checked myself, you got a save without a mod?

11. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

What? So a factory can only benefit the closest city? That's pretty worthless.

12. Calcifer

Calcifer Chieftain

It's the other way around: a city can be affected by only one regional building of the same type. If there are many copies of that regional building in range, the highest yield wins.

So, if you build a factory, the bonus will affect every city within 6 tiles unless that city has another factory in range.

It's NOT that a factory can support only one additional city. Actually, building an IZ that can boost 6 or 7 cities is quite easy. Same for entertainment districts.

13. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Haven't got a save, I checked this a few games ago but then forgot which thread here talked about it, therefore posted about it only now. But I had no mods and I had several cities listing +3 production from one single factory.

14. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

That's how it's been, but I got the impression people here were talking about a relatively recent nerf (the summer patch I guess).

15. Victoria

Sure but if you say build 3 factories with 3 adjacent cities, none of them will get an additional +3, that's my understanding.

16. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Yeah, okay, I think I misunderstood what you were talking about. The bonuses don't stack after one factory, but one factory gives that +3 to everyone within 6 tiles.