1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the better game, Civilization IV or VI?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mariaevinne, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Randy Random

Randy Random Chieftain

5 is better than 6 and 4 is better than 5.

2. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The new patch for 6 was pretty well done. So an upside is that Firaxis listens to its community.

Though it's also a downside sometimes.....

3. contempted

contempted Chieftain

To,all responders, but especially to the critics, thanks! Yeah, this doesn’t even seem like civilization to me. It’s chaos. I peronally don’t wanna spend a bunch of time learning what all of this crap actually is. Anybody, even a small child could play 3 or 4 which are the games I’m familiar with. I can’t see a child even kind of learning this game. I play more like a child myself to tell the truth. I never did learn how to play it, but I always enjoyed playing it. Civ 6 is too slow, it.has too many mechanics as some of you called it, it makes no damn sense whatsoever. I can’t even enjoy watching the units battle hoping mine doesn’t fall. Simply put, I hate it, which makes me sad because there’s a place for an improved civ 4 for newer machines, but why learn this game when there’s 4? I don’t get it, I wish I did.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Ha....someone just liked my corresponding post and I realize now that I never saw your post. My comment was just a silly joke about @BornInCantaloup 's complex and genius post. Not a comment on grammar which was indeed correct.

Apparently one other person in the world got my inane attempt at humor. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Jivilov and need my speed like this.
  5. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Lol, I'd forgotten about that. I confess I've learnt a lot from Dan Quayle's inane rethorics. The future will be better tomorrow, you see ?

lymond likes this.
  6. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan Chieftain

If you havn't tried the Realism:Invictus mod to CIV IV, BtS, then you surely miss something.....

Latest version is 3.4 from 30.Jan 2018 and it is outstanding as it is now.

A new update version 3.5 will come..... hopefully within a month or two.

You can get more info and the installer here: http://www.realism-invictus.com/

P.s.: Don't forget to read the 32-bit disclaimer. Largest playable map is probably 160*104 tiles with 12-14 nations including yourself. Bigger map with fewer nations, smaller map if you prefer many nations.

7. fantsu

fantsu Prince

IV is better, but I do like VI, its not a bad choice. IV has silly dice roll combat (but it can be somewhat negated by building your army right and always be prepared to make sacrifices), VI has terrible AI (well, I dont think it has AI at all).

If you are new to IV, it probably wont have that charm like those who have played it for a long time. I do prefer VI more than V.

Besides some rng with flooding and such, GS made VI much better.

8. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Damn, I always thought it's hard to program a worse AI than in IV.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

And at the time of this post, Civ6 (64-bit only) largest playable map is only 128*80...

This alone, not even starting on diplomacy, the leading an Empire feeling (or lack of) and the AI, is enough to answer "civ4" for me.

Playsoneasy likes this.
  10. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Map size is a bit irrelevant because how different the game is with hexes. Adjacency is really important in VI and it makes the squares more interesting when they have six adjacent squares instead of 4. I'd say quality over everything here.
    Its just sad that the AI in VI cannot handle the games own rules. :D

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Don't you get 8 adjacent squares, not 4? Having said that, as an old war gamer, I was more used to hex.

12. MAvL

MAvL Chieftain

Hex is nothing more than Moore's neighborhood (Civ4 neighborhood) minus SW and NE. It is that way C-Evo has hex options without changing graphics. So hex is rather less than more, 6 instead of 8 not 4. But really it's just different.

Map size is relevant. number of tiles is number of tiles be it hex or square. It is even more relevant in civ 6 where wonders take up space. Civ 4 standard map already feels small compared to the number of world wonders, national wonders, religions and corporation to build and fund. Civ6 can be really cluttered. It isn't necessarilly bad, but it's really different.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  13. fantsu

fantsu Prince

Civ 6 cities just have so much more tiles compared to civ 4s bfc that wonders arent in the way too much in my opinion.