What is the world's bravest nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verbose said:
:lol:
I'd say France was pretty brave to spread its Revolution to the rest of Europe in the first place. :goodjob:

And I know lots of nations that would just love to be as "tiny" as the UK, i.e. the population of France and Italy.:D

Historically our population hasn't always been so comparable. Most of our history has seen our population dwarfed by that of France.

Don't mistake the demographics of the last 100 or so years with the majority of English history.

stormbind said:
The UK didn't shy away from being the first line of defense against a massive USSR either (esp. North Sea) and is frequently the most outspoken nation on the world stage - quite prepared to upset the USA or EU when it suits them.

Nah, that is France you're thinking of ;)

Britain tows the line more often than not - well at least since Suez.

kittenOFchaos said:
Historically our population hasn't always been so comparable. Most of our history has seen our population dwarfed by that of France.

Don't mistake the demographics of the last 100 or so years with the majority of English history.
Make that 250 years or so.:)
The British margins were beefed up by both empire and industrial revolution from around 1750.
French birth-rates started dropping around 1850.

And I wasn't thinking about how the UK compares to France in the first place. Plenty of smaller nations around.:cool:

Jack the Ripper said:
Yes they did take the land, twice. Actually, they didnt take arab land. After the state of israel was made, they invited the arabs to stay. Most of the arabs left after the ARABS declared war on israel in 1948.

What is there in that land that the arabs want so badly though? Theres no oil. Its half desert. Its less than 1/5th of 1 percent of the land in the middle east. As far as i know the only muslim religious sites in the land are in Jerusalem (which is jointly owned). The vast majority of vegitation there now was planted by the jews in the early and middle part of the 20th century. Apart from some meditteranean coastline, i dont see what would be so attractive about the land.

I do stand by my statement about the wolves. Israel didn't start any of the wars since its founding in 1948. While nowadays the Israelis use their military to take out military/terrorist targets, the palestineans targets civilians as a political statement. Theres already a palistine. Its called Jordan.

And so, again i will list the bravest countries:
America
Australia
Scotland
Poland
Israel
Out of curiosity why do you put the Americans on this list? I'm not trying to downplay America since I am American but it seems like (atleast in the past half century) that America runs when things get bad or hire other people to do it.

Squonk said:
The last Piast on Polish throne was Kazimierz (Casimir) the Great. He died in the seventies of XIV century I think.
You could have two people on mind: his father, Wladyslaw I Lokietek, or Waclaw III.
The story went like this. After Poland splitted into a number of duchies,
after several attempts of re-uniting it, mostly be Silesian dukes, Przemyslaw II of Major Poland was crowned in 1295. His domain was Major Poland, Pommerania (eastern part, Danzig and Stolp/Gdansk and Slupsk; he got it peacefully thanks to a deal with its last souvereign ruler that the one who shall live longer will get it), and Minor Poland (the same case). Minor Poland was however taken before coronation (as well as most of Silesian duchies) by Czechs (who also claimed Polish throne). Przemyslaw II, reknown for alleged murder of his first wife, a Meklemburgian, was later on married to a Brandenburgian marchgravine. That didn't stop Brandenburgians from raiding him during some party and killing him in year 1296. As Przemyslaw's only dotter, Ryksa (?) was married by Czech king, Waclaw II of Przemyslid dinasty, king of Bohemia was eventually crowned as king of Poland, owning (vassalised) Silesia, Major and Minor Poland, and eastern Pommerania. He died in year 1305. His son, Waclaw III, the last of Przemyslid dinasty, was never crowned king of Poland, because he was murdered a year later near Olomluniec. He did plan to exchange Pommerania for Misnia, but He didn't have time to do so.
Anyways, that was the time when earlier pretendents to the crown begane fighting again. Mostly it was between Henry of Glogow (Silesia) and Wladyslaw Lokietek of some puny duchy in Kujawy region. Eventually Wladyslaw Lokietek won, and owned Major Poland, Minor Poland and eastern Pommerania, but then the Brandenburgians attacked. The rest of the story I've written earlier.
The Czechs under Luxemburg dinasty continued to claim Polish throne until Casimir the Great agreed to pay them a large sum of money and resign from Silesia in exchange for resignation of their rights.

I reread this period in books to be sure. It was in 1306 when Lotietek became king. He wanted to change the positions in Pommerania and parts of Western Prussia (Danzig). The local nobles were not keen about these changes as well as big parts of the population. Therefore they asked the Brandenburger and Teutonic Knights for help. So they came to liberate Pommerania from a tyrant. I was not very accurate the last time I have to admit but it was never Brandenburg or the Teutonic Order to be the agressive power you try to show. Also in these days murderers and treacheries were common throughout Europe...

Adler

Adler17 said:
I reread this period in books to be sure. It was in 1306 when Lotietek became king. He wanted to change the positions in Pommerania and parts of Western Prussia (Danzig). The local nobles were not keen about these changes as well as big parts of the population. Therefore they asked the Brandenburger and Teutonic Knights for help. So they came to liberate Pommerania from a tyrant. I was not very accurate the last time I have to admit but it was never Brandenburg or the Teutonic Order to be the agressive power you try to show. Also in these days murderers and treacheries were common throughout Europe...

Adler

First of all, Eastern Pommerania = "Western Prussia", though the name of Prussia for this region is unapropriate in general, and especially before XV century, when it started be called Prussia.
The tale about nobles and population asking Brandenburgians and Teutonic Knights for help is bull****, especially that, as I've mentioned, Teutonic Knights appeared later, on a plea of Polish king, and as enemies of Brandenburgians. Also, if local nobles invited Brandenburgians, they wouldn't have opposed them, and they did - as unsuccessful Brandenburgians siege of Gdansk shows. It is some German attempt of excusing their invasion.
Brandenburgian claims to Eastern Pommerania came from the mentioned not realised transaction exchanging Misnia for Pommerania.
As for treachery, I do not recall Poland attacking Germany, or killing some German prince. Or any other foreign prince/king.

Quebec is the best. We are not a lot, but we are the best.
Don't count Celine as one of ours, but we gave Jean Coutu.
And DUGPDCV "Dans Une Galaxie Près De Chez Vous"

there are no bravest nation at all.oh i how can i forgot sure it is sperms they gave their lifes for a goal and only one will survive they knew this but they won't stop it is bravery yes the greatest of all

England: We get slaughtered by the Aussies at Cricket, Rugby League, Tennis, Rugby Union, Swimming and any other sport you can think of (bar football) and yet we still go back for more!

Canada because I live there :) and also they are one of the few countries willing to go and do something about other countries and their genocidal leaders *ahem* Sudan *coughs* but not really because suicide isn't a very honorable thing to do, it's just a coward's way out of reality. Well in my opinion anyways. Damn Japanese and their Kamikazes......

*but not really Japanese

Scotland. The men wear kilts, for God's sake!

mastertyguy said:
Don't count Celine as one of ours, but we gave Jean Coutu.
What about Jules and Jacques Villeneuve?

BTW: We're the bravest, naturally. I'm still waiting for Quebec to fight their way away from their "opressors".

1)I know that Czechs never fighting in modern times as defending their country, but they never forsook other countries in dark times.
2)Jews for their history, but not for today.(!)
3)Germans for their immunity to wanted fight againist all world in ww1 and ww2 with relatively small forces. In this also Korea, Vietnam and Japan. And Ethiopia and Serbia brave fight againist Italians.

1)I know that Czechs never fighting in modern times as defending their country, but they never forsook other countries in dark times.
2)Jews for their history, but not for today.(!)
3)Germans for their immunity to wanted fight againist all world in ww1 and ww2 with relatively small forces. In this also Korea, Vietnam and Japan. Yugoslavia and Ethiopia brave fight againist Italians was also fight for not serfdom.

While nowadays the Israelis use their military to take out military/terrorist targets,

and the occasional rock weilding child *cough*

Aug 06, 2005, 09:50 PM #238
Own
Grasshoppah

I say Malta, they have held off a huge Ottoman invasion, all with that little weiner island you can barely see on a map.​

Those were the Knights of St. John, who showed equal courage in Rhodes in beating off a siege by Mohammed II in 1480, and in 1522, outnumbered 200000 to 7000, held out for six months and were allowed to leave by Suleiman the Magnificent, whence to Malta for the next epic siege in 1665.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom