1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your dream / vision for WTP?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by raystuttgart, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I think we all agree on this one. We need to unlock "stuff" during the game. We also have the technical implementation figured out. What we need to figure out is what triggers unlocking new buildings etc. If we use eras, then they will need work because currently eras seems somewhat random and irrelevant. That in itself could be a good argument for reviewing how we use eras.

Other features from DOANE that I like and could be candidates for WTP:
    Mixed cargo: a wagon train can transport 200 cotton, but not 1 cotton, 1 tobacco and 1 fur. Allow transport based on combined cargo amount rather than slots makes it more interesting to have a low production of something valuable and could make it easier to code how automated transports can work efficiently.

Waypoints. The ability to control which plot a ship will arrive on when arriving from Europe. In general the ability to have named waypoints for (semi) automated movement is a nice concept. This could also be used for automated patrols.

Last, but not least: we shouldn't copy everything we see in other mods just because we like it. We have a unique DLL file with unique features meaning we can code some features better. We also have a different mod meaning a 100% copy of gameplay mechanics might not be what we want even if we want something of a similar nature.

Interesting, but how is the AI able to handle this? Also I might want a different implementation, like each unit having a BoolArray of plots, which lists the plots known to the unit, but not the player. When the unit is selected, all those plots are revealed, but switching to a different unit will hide them. Plots known to the unit, but not the player should be displayed with circles or something to make it clear what the unit knows. When two units are on the same plot, they both end up with knowing the plots known to either.
    Sounds like a significant amount of work, but any less and it risks being annoying rather than fun. I'm not happy with the ship going into a bay and then it returns, the same ship has to discover the bay again the following turn. I don't view that as an ideal implementation.

2. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

I might add a choice of ships, either the caravel or the fluyt. I like the idea of choosing opening units. When I started I played openings as each of the leaders. Usually now I play the Portuguese to get the carrack but it can be too much of an advantage.

I did a quick accounting of the opening contingents offered in 2.8.1: 400 gold to make any unit a settler, 1,200 to have a dragoon, 800 for an expert, 1,200 for a master, 500 for a free colonist. I agree the choices should be limited.

There are also three units on the first ships that can’t be bought: the Jesuit Missionary, Seasoned Scout and Native Trader. If each is valued at 1,500 gold, various expeditions can be assembled for 4,400 gold with 100-200 left over for trading.

I don’t know whether this is hard to program. There might also be imbalances among the colonial nations that are addressed by the current grouping. It’s not important or urgent but it might be a small easy choice to get people involved early.

HobyMorgan and Mr. ZorG like this.
  3. jaeyeom

jaeyeom Chieftain

The dream I had was mostly done in this MOD. I've been playing many trade games and what I really wished for Colonization is implemented with Domestic Market. Goods (like sailcloth) are used to produce units and products are actually used by people. Goods in vanilla used to be only to be sold in Europe and I didn't like that. The goods actually improves citizen's happiness, so I like how Domestic Market integrated with happiness.

Europe doesn't stock sold products and runs its own economy (like what they do with cotton, etc), but I think that's okay not to implement that details, but the price change can handle it in a nutshell.

WTP also supports automation that makes player's life easier. I'd wish to have better trade automation with colonial powers and natives, but it may not be easy to implement. It'll be also useful to have a one-time task settings. For example, "I'd like to move 100 goods from colony X to Y, just one time regardless of the import/export settings, and automatic transportation should pick up this task."

4. nci

nci Chieftain

I believe this is a terrible idea unless existing scenarios are dramatically reworked. Should it be implemented, any merchant ship will be able to either sail to Europe, or retreat to nearby native village or settlement in single turn, effectively killing off piracy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  5. Tugboatspotter

Tugboatspotter Warlord

I would like to see late game expansion with industrialization.

Possibly an event (like the Governor event) at the late game stage allows an 'Industrialist' (new unit) to join your colonies. Placing him in city hall unlocks the building of railways by pioneers. As an alternative, the industrialist could unlock a new building 'railway company' which when built, has the same effect:

-Reintroduce railways instead of one of the country roads. They would be costly to build to represent how heavily subsided railway companies were.
    -New unit 'railway carriage' is unlocked. Of course it would be very fast with large capacity, and can only travel on rail tracks.

I think this would be a nice new feature to boost the late game.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    nci and Vaeringjar like this.
  6. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Progression with unlockable content
    The game should have some sort of tech tree or similar to unlock units, buildings and similar as the game progresses.

Better trade routes
    The current way of automatically get cargo between colonies suck. Rather than building on top of vanilla code, write something brand new to make it work like classic colonization trade routes. This will likely end up as an addon, which can coexist with the current system.

New diplomacy screen
    The diplomacy screen is hidden in the exe and can't be modded. It's full of issues and it would be really nice to have a screen where we have complete control. It's a big task and might not happen. It is however also on the wishlist for BTS mods, so maybe it can happen as a multi mod joined effort at some point. Drag-n-drop UI elements are only supported in Colonization, but otherwise it is possible to write code, which unmodified works for both BTS and Colonization, including network code for multiplayer support.

Code cleanup
    Make the code consistently use enum types and add code to make enums even more strict than they already are. This will result in cleaner code and make the compiler more likely to reject imperfections, both wanted as that will reduce the risk of bugs. Maybe not a gameplay dream, but a bug resisting code design makes both modding and playing more fun. For the most part this is more of an ongoing change than a one time crunch creation like most features are like to create.

More mods
    Make the setup in xml rather than hardcode as this allows other mods to use our DLL/python without ending up as reskins. One of the big restrictions in getting mods to work is programming and several mods have not turned out to what they were supposed to be because of lack of programmers. I tried working on Medieval Conquest, Religion and Revolution and Colonization 2071 at the same time (well looked at and considered col2071) and it's just not a doable approach. Whenever a bug is fixed, it's extra work fixing it in some other mod and copying the change has a high risk of messing up and causing new bugs. A design to let mods share one source code is way more time efficient not to mention way more fun for modding because it's a boring and annoying task, which we avoid.

nci and Vaeringjar like this.