[GS] What is your favorite or "go-to" map type?

Oh, & Fractal maps are always worth a go :).

I think my map choices are about... 50% continents & islands, 30% seven seas, 10% pangaea, 5% modded maps (there are some good maps of fantasy worlds like Tamriel, Middle Earth/Arda, and Hyrule from Breath of the Wild), 5% other

Hate waper maps. I usually just play Pangea or Lakes, sometimes Fractal or Terra. I think the Civ 6 map agorhythm freaking sucks and I want my great plains back goddamnit.

The moment I stopped being obsessed with the industrial zone (adjacency bonuses) I started exploring other map types :D

I have most chill games on Continents.

I play a lot of different maps, depending on what I want from a game. But if I could choose only one map type for the next ten games, I'd pick 7 seas.

I am a sucker for Pangaea. I would like to like the more water based maps as I enjoy navies, but I am almost never happy with my starting locations.

Continents. I am a bit balance obsessed and feel this map type gives the most balanced experience for land and naval civs. I like continents and islands but dislike how it often makes a shallow water connection between the two continents. Removing the mid game exploration rush from the game.

I was also very impressed with the Gaia map script from the steam workshop. It's very random, but I feel it offers a good balance between continents and continents with islands.

I love the idea of terra but dont like its implementation. I would have it so the 'old world' is 2/3 of the map and having all the civs and city states, the new world being 1/3. I feel this would also be more balanced for the Norways and Maori's of the world.

I also only really play standard map size, standard speed. Dont think I've touched the advanced map settings once. Just realized I'm basically the civ equivalent of no items, fox only, final destination

Last edited:
Lately, I have been doing a lot of Pangaea maps, but I also like continents and the inland seas one, where you have a giant body of water in the middle of the map and land surrounding it.

I tend to prefer map types where I have chance to build my grand empire design, of capital city with 6 other cities surrounding the capital. That often involves a lot of restarts until I get a decent map roll, but it generally works. I don't do much with naval or air units, so I tend to focus on maps with lots of opportunities for land combat and exploration. Most of my games are played as Australia, so I tend to have a coastal start location.

The only real problems I tend to have with Pangaea maps, is that I sometimes get a start location where I have all sorts of luxury and strategic resources obstructing my ability to place districts in desirable locations, or city states blocking my ability to expand. On numerous occasions, I have had to declare war on a city state, simply because it was in the way of my expansion plans. The devs really need to look at the option of allowing you to build districts over strategic and luxury resources, or simply harvesting them from the map.

Back in Civ V, one of my favorite options, was to play continents or Islands and have coastal cities loaded with long range stealth bombers, which I would then use to sink the enemy AI navy /army when it tried to land on my continent or island.

Continents.
I kinda like how you never know what waits you on the other side.
Pangea is always an option.

I dont like mess around with the scrips, even when I am almost sure that this was pretty much the same map again and again.

I love the idea of terra but dont like its implementation. I would have it so the 'old world' is 2/3 of the map and having all the civs and city states, the new world being 1/3. I feel this would also be more balanced for the Norways and Maori's of the world.
I'd suggest to try YnAMP's Terra.

In my current game as Australia, I am playing on a Pangaea map again, and got a starting location filled with rivers. With one exception, I will be able to build my usual pattern of capital city surrounded by 6 satellite cities, and have all but one of them located within one tile of a river. I have my capital city in the middle, and 6 satellite cities extending out from the capital, with 4 tiles in between the capital and the satellite cities, and all are benefiting from being near a river, although flooding has been a problem early in the game.

On the downside though, I got several city states and Macedon as my close neighbors, so I had to raze two city states to make room for my satellite cities, while fending off repeated attacks from Macedon, who eagerly declared war on me rather early in the game.

Top Bottom