What is your primary goal when you play and submit XOTM?

What is your primary goal when you play and submit XOTM?

• I play just for fun, I do not even submit my games.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I play for fun, but I submit my games to compare them with others.

Votes: 46 46.0%
  • I want to receive the Eptathlon award

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • I am collecting medals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My goal is a good position within the global rating

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • My goal is a specific award (I do not want to collect all of them)

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have no time to finish entire game. I play only QSC

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Other (specify below)

Votes: 9 9.0%

• Total voters
Xerol said:
A thin victory, perhaps, but a victory still. Anyway, I see lots of people up there with 2 shields that could probably catch me if they started making a run for shields, since I might miss a few awards(like GOTM39 domination).

EDIT: As far as the seventh award for the Golden Ambulance is concerned, maybe there should be a "Reverse Cow", for lowest base score(of a winning game)? Some other animal, perhaps, or maybe a flightless bird of some kind. Penguin comes to mind for some reason. Or maybe just a Blue Ambulance?

How about "Skinny Cow" ;) ?

Definitely just fun here for me. I just found Civ Fanatics a couple of months ago, and haven't submitted any GOTM yet (haven't won any yet either). Haven't even opened gotm 41, although i'm keeping away from the spoilers for this one just in case i get a chance to play it. I like reading about other people's games especially when they try for different victory conditions- i probably spend more time reading spoilers than I do playing because I can do that in an odd 15 minutes at work while RL rarely lets me string enough hours together to actually finish a GOTM. At this point i'm more motivated just to try to win games rather than get globally competitive scores.

I just play for fun. I don't play GOTM's enough to get a good global ranking. I am not a good enough player for a medal, so I just play. Not that I would be dissapointed if I got a medal, though. I just like to see how I did compared to everybody else and see how others played the same game.
In fact, I haven't played a GOTM in a long time, but COTM11 (Korea) looked fun so I decided to give it a go.

I'm currently taking a break from the xOTM having lost a bit of interest in remote island starts. But when I was active I wanted to see if I could climb up the GPR into the top 50. I did achieve that goal. I will be back prolly in the fall when my work and golf do not take up so much of my time. For now I am playing games for the HoF. It's a bit more relaxed there with no time frame and the competition of late has been amazing. I'm pretty sure if a COTM came up on a small world on with 3 cows while playing the Sumerians I'd have a good chance at a very good domination date :D

I had pretty much quit playing computer games after 9/11 as I was otherwise occupied for about two years. I got back into Diablo II when I returned from the Gulf, but it wasn't until I got to Okinawa and discovered CivFanatics that I got back into C3C. Getting an Eptathlon would be neat, but the main reason I'm trying for one is to improve my gameplay across the spectrum. Of course, it really improved by reading the detailed posts of masters like SirPleb who taught me offense, offense, offense. I prefer to get to Chivalry, quit research and go for a military victory. I think it was COTM9 that forced me to go beyond that in research just to reach the other civs, so that was cool. I think it was COTM08 when Ainwood put the iron and horses north of another civ, which was also awesome. I love the varied and unpredicatable challenges each game presents. I don't even play 'normal' games anymore.

Top Bottom