1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What iTechCostModifier settings do you use?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Better AI' started by usmle, Oct 17, 2009.

1. usmle

usmle Chieftain

Defaults are:

Ancient 0
    Classical 0
    Medieval 4
    Renaissance 9
    Industrial 14
    Modern 18
    Future 18

I am have recently migrated from epic to normal along with changing the iTechCostModifier's to:

Ancient 0
    Classical 0
    Medieval 5
    Renaissance 20
    Industrial 25
    Modern 30
    Future 35

Perhaps I went a little too far, I'm not a fan of the space victory :mad: But it ramps up at just the time I feel plain BTS speeds up too fast, the medieval period, and makes each period after that last just about as long as each other. It does make space race harder to attain. My other usual tweaks are to require 4 legendary cities for a :culture: victory and no time victory (though it rarely gets to that point).

2. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

It depends very much on your settings. Larger maps tend to go very fast in the late game (and slow in the early game) because expansion has the same effect in the early game but a larger effect in the late game. The fixed maps size modifier for research cannot compensate for the difference between map size during different moments of the game.

3. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

I guess the question is when do you want to see the spaceship race happen?

I've been trying to setup things up so that spaceship victories and culture victories fall at about the same time usually. Certainly if you want to push back space, you'd also need to push back culture to keep balance (although culture is affected a bit by tech rate ...). I have no idea what the relative benefits of upping the number of cities versus the legendary threshold would be, how has your approach been working?

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more opinions about the tech rate ... the current iTechCostModifier values are just my best guesses after several rounds of testing on different maps.

4. MartinHarper

MartinHarper Warlord

I don't think that's correct. You have to sacrifice more militarilly for a culture victory, and it's easier to stop, so it should be achievable earlier.

5. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

Where is this variable to change if I should want to do so?

Thanks.

6. rodnok21

rodnok21 Chieftain

Better BTS AI\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4EraInfos.xml

7. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

Are those defaults meant for Epic then?

8. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

I'm a bit confused by this feature. I doubled the value for Future techs and yet when I start a new game and hover over the tech, the beakers required hasn't changed. Perhaps I don't have this mod installed right?

9. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

If I remember correctly, this works by reducing how many beakers get applied to the tech, not by increasing tech costs shown in game.

To test, you'd then need to compare research time projections for a tech at different settings of the xml variable.

10. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Welcome back jdog. Have you taken a look at what's new with RevolutionDCM lately? In the current build we've just exposed all the Revolution.ini values on the user interface, pretty slick stuff.

11. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

Yeah, I see that now thanks. Tech Diffusion wasn't designed with the iTechCostModifier in mind was it? I mean, Diffusion should work fine without it?