What iTechCostModifier settings do you use?

usmle

Chieftain
Defaults are:

Ancient 0
Classical 0
Medieval 4
Renaissance 9
Industrial 14
Modern 18
Future 18

I am have recently migrated from epic to normal along with changing the iTechCostModifier's to:

Ancient 0
Classical 0
Medieval 5
Renaissance 20
Industrial 25
Modern 30
Future 35

Perhaps I went a little too far, I'm not a fan of the space victory :mad: But it ramps up at just the time I feel plain BTS speeds up too fast, the medieval period, and makes each period after that last just about as long as each other. It does make space race harder to attain. My other usual tweaks are to require 4 legendary cities for a :culture: victory and no time victory (though it rarely gets to that point).

It depends very much on your settings. Larger maps tend to go very fast in the late game (and slow in the early game) because expansion has the same effect in the early game but a larger effect in the late game. The fixed maps size modifier for research cannot compensate for the difference between map size during different moments of the game.

I guess the question is when do you want to see the spaceship race happen?

I've been trying to setup things up so that spaceship victories and culture victories fall at about the same time usually. Certainly if you want to push back space, you'd also need to push back culture to keep balance (although culture is affected a bit by tech rate ...). I have no idea what the relative benefits of upping the number of cities versus the legendary threshold would be, how has your approach been working?

I'd certainly be interested in hearing more opinions about the tech rate ... the current iTechCostModifier values are just my best guesses after several rounds of testing on different maps.

I've been trying to setup things up so that spaceship victories and culture victories fall at about the same time usually.

I don't think that's correct. You have to sacrifice more militarilly for a culture victory, and it's easier to stop, so it should be achievable earlier.

I'm a bit confused by this feature. I doubled the value for Future techs and yet when I start a new game and hover over the tech, the beakers required hasn't changed. Perhaps I don't have this mod installed right?

If I remember correctly, this works by reducing how many beakers get applied to the tech, not by increasing tech costs shown in game.

To test, you'd then need to compare research time projections for a tech at different settings of the xml variable.

Welcome back jdog. Have you taken a look at what's new with RevolutionDCM lately? In the current build we've just exposed all the Revolution.ini values on the user interface, pretty slick stuff.

If I remember correctly, this works by reducing how many beakers get applied to the tech, not by increasing tech costs shown in game.

To test, you'd then need to compare research time projections for a tech at different settings of the xml variable.

Yeah, I see that now thanks. Tech Diffusion wasn't designed with the iTechCostModifier in mind was it? I mean, Diffusion should work fine without it?

Top Bottom