1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What language does Ramessess II speak?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Randarkmaan, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, it's like me preferring Alexander to speak Koine Greek than modern Greek (as opposed to Macedonian Greek or Attic Greek).

2. Torterra275

Torterra275 Chieftain

My guess is Demotic the other egyptian language

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I think Coptic would have been the best choice, but too bad, I guess. At least it sounds unique, so whatever.

As for actual Ancient Egyptian, archaeologists have an extremely hard time reconstructing the language, especially since there are no vowels. That's why you see a number of ways to spell Ramses: "Ramses", "Ramesses", and so forth. In reality, his name probably wasn't even pronounced anything like that. I remember reading somewhere that his name probably was closer to "Riamessa" or something like that, since it was found on a Hittite or Assyrian inscription or something.

"Ramses" or "Ramesses" is just for the archaeologists' convenience so they don't have to say "Rmss" or whatever every single time.

4. spyroware

spyroware Chieftain

Coptic isnt that difficult to find, just drop a line to the Egyptian Orthodox church. There's definetely a priest out there with sufficient understanding and a voice that fits Ramesses.

5. Caeserportugal

Caeserportugal Prince

They are only three leaders I will understand and those are Washington , Elizabeth and Napoleon.

6. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Good advice.
    I mean, Latin is a dead language too and yet we can have Caesar using it instead of Italian, right?

I'm telling you, person designing leaders should get sacked :thumbsdown:

7. Kimuyama

Kimuyama Prince

There was a discussion of whether Monty speaks Classical Nahuatl or not, if memory serves me right (it sounds like he is saying Imperio, the Spanish word for empire, for example)

8. Tusked

Tusked Chieftain

Latin is the least dead of dead languages. If you can find me a college course ANYWHERE in the United States that teaches you to speak ancient Egyptian, I will mail you the laptop I am currently typing on. By contrast, EVERY college teaches Latin. It's not hard to find a competent Latin speaker, I have one in my house.

9. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Hey, you have whole world at your disposal, US is only a part of it ;)
    Effort can be made, and imo should be made to avoid embarrassment :p

10. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

Yes its clearly Arabian even if I can't understand it, but what I have heard people speaking Egyptian that doesn't even come close.

11. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

Incidentally, I wonder how "I challenge you to a Shadow Game" would sound in Egyptian Arabic.

12. Xen

Xen Magister

Nahuatl still is spoken by a minority (as are the Mayan tongues, amoung other New World indigenous languages scattered about the Spanish colonial Empire)

13. Calouste

Calouste Deity

So, what do you speak?

14. Ramesses

English. Of the American dialect. I just have a fascination with ancient Egypt for some inexplicable reason. I'm not fluent in any other languages, sadly.

15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

It really isnt thathard to find some nahuatl speaker that could have help them out, or maybe an academic who speaks it.

The horrible part is the actor playing Moctezuma, God! its painful to hear, he is so over the top is not even funny.

16. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Doesn't mean it is Roman Latin, if you wanted the most authentic Latin you should probably talk the Roman Catholic Church (Latin was THE language of the Church for 1000+ years)

17. Vertinari118

Vertinari118 Deity

No they use Ecclesiastical Latin which is a modified version of Classical Latin so the plebs of Rome could understand what the preacher was on about. I would like to point out that we have plenty of Classical Latin texts, mainly every single piece of famous Roman poetry or prose you might have heard about as well as some preserved graffiti and personal letters of various statesmen and generals, so Classical Latin is very well known. There is also Medieval Latin, which is an evolution of Classical Latin and was the language of every educated man in Europe for several hundred years, as well as more esoteric divisions for the various forms Classical Latin has taken as it has evolved. Latin is definitely a known dead language. The only part that is not known is what the plebs spoke, everyday Latin, apart from graffiti that is. Equally some of the many dialects of Ancient Greek are known so hopefully Alexander will speak Ancient Greek of some form.

18. Cynovolans

Cynovolans Not in my dimension.

They should have asked this guy for help.

19. Ramesses

I absolutely, 100% agree. I don't care if it turns out he's actually speaking Klingon in a softer accent, this man must record new lines for Ramesses in future expansion packs.

20. Randarkmaan

Randarkmaan Chieftain

Well, seems my suspicion is confirmed.

I don't really care, I just find it strange that even though they choose to base the Egyptian civilization almost 100 % of ancient Egypt (though they often cross somewhat over into Roman and Ptolemaic Egypt), that they've chosen to have him speak Egyptian Arabic (though it is most convenient and the different arabic dialects are almost different languages in their own right), I feel they should have included more of Egypt later in history in some way or another (such as Mamluks, Muhammad Ali, Saladin or what not).