What Mods would you most WANT to have?

I'm sure at some point mods to replace her with the likes of Ramesses II, Hatshepsut, or Djoser will start appearing, and I'll be watching for them.

Also, the India split mod. Seriously, guys? Gandhi again? I'd really rather play as, or encounter, Ashoka or Akbar. Honestly I think he's only in at this point as a running gag (Gandhi loves nukes, hur hur hur) rather than out of any kind of respect or feeling that he represents India effectively. It's time for him to go.
Both of these seconded. I definitely will be trying to bring Narmer and Ashoka over if I enjoy Civ VI overall.

I sorta would like to see a version of districts that feels a bit less gamey. Industrial and Commercial districts sound okay to me, Religious districts are fine, but Science and Cultural districts just feel completely off (why would ancient cities even have one of these?). It sounds fun, but I would love it if there were a mod that reworked or reflavoured it to better fit with how cities work.

I confess I'm going to be awaiting the first mods that replace Egypt's leader. If this game featured multiple leaders per civ, Civ IV-style (not definitively ruled out as far as I know, but not likely at this point either), then I wouldn't have a problem with Cleopatra being one of the options. Actually, if we had multiple leaders per civ, then I'd love to see an Egypt that had an ancient pharaoh, Cleopatra, a Mamluk sultan, Isma'il Pasha, and Nasser all available as choices. But if we only get one leader per civ, I think it's a shame to have Egypt represented by a leader chosen apparently for name recognition value instead of someone from the literally thousands of years' worth of pharaohs they could have chosen from. I'm sure at some point mods to replace her with the likes of Ramesses II, Hatshepsut, or Djoser will start appearing, and I'll be watching for them.

I was complaining about this to one of my freinds after watching the gameplay footage, and I completely agree. If you do want a female leader, Hatshepsut is a far better choice.
On a related note, I found it rather stupid to put Dido (a legendary figure) in place of Hannibal (one of the greatest military generals ever). Hope they bring him back in civ 6.

Could do it the easier way also - rename the Firaxis Egypt civ the Ptolomaic Civ.

I also second all the Cleopatra hate. In general it seems civilizations tend to be lead by leaders based on name recognition solely in the last couple games. I miss having multiple leaders, but I understand why that's a bit difficult to develop directly for Firaxis, especially when they can rely on us to change it for them.

Don't really understand how Cleopatra really fits the Ancient Egypt archetype at all. What did she really -do-? She's known mostly just for being the last of the pharaohs, but I barely even consider her that. She didn't exactly claim divinity like the pharaohs of old. I much preferred having Ramses for civ 5 and I think this is a step back.

In terms of India, I'm going to be honest and say that I don't blame them for using solely him. I'm hard pressed to come up with another unifying figure for the culture that's anywhere near as recognizable as him. The big issue in my eyes is that there's very few cultural icons in Indian history that are (nearly) universally acclaimed within Indian culture to the scale that Gandhi is. Personally, I think India is a weird civilization to have, as the modern nation state of India doesn't do a good job of representing exactly how fractured Indian culture is. I would much rather have powerful leaders from each cultural block, including Pakistan. Considering Firaxis went through the trouble of doing just that with the American Indians, I don't understand their lack of division amongst cultural groups that simply aren't homogenous enough to be lumped together. They speak about 30 different languages in India, and each region has a different official one. That sounds like a place you can't just brand as all being one culture. Just my two cents though. I got a tirade about it when my Bengali girlfriend first played the game with me. Naturally she wanted to play her own Civilization and she was pretty put off by the lazy as hell UA, though she obviously didn't object to Gandhi's presence as leader.

I also second all the Cleopatra hate. In general it seems civilizations tend to be lead by leaders based on name recognition solely in the last couple games. I miss having multiple leaders, but I understand why that's a bit difficult to develop directly for Firaxis, especially when they can rely on us to change it for them.

Don't really understand how Cleopatra really fits the Ancient Egypt archetype at all. What did she really -do-? She's known mostly just for being the last of the pharaohs, but I barely even consider her that. She didn't exactly claim divinity like the pharaohs of old. I much preferred having Ramses for civ 5 and I think this is a step back.

She's in primarily because she's so heavily romanticized, which is mostly because her life makes for a great love-tragedy (exceedingly beautiful, a love affair with Caesar and then Antony, losing the war against Octavius and committing suicide as the last pharoah). IMO hyping her up really demeans the able female leaders who should be the real historic icons (Elizabeth I, Isabel I, Catherine I, Hatshepsut to name a few).

In terms of India, I'm going to be honest and say that I don't blame them for using solely him. I'm hard pressed to come up with another unifying figure for the culture that's anywhere near as recognizable as him. The big issue in my eyes is that there's very few cultural icons in Indian history that are (nearly) universally acclaimed within Indian culture to the scale that Gandhi is. Personally, I think India is a weird civilization to have, as the modern nation state of India doesn't do a good job of representing exactly how fractured Indian culture is. I would much rather have powerful leaders from each cultural block, including Pakistan. Considering Firaxis went through the trouble of doing just that with the American Indians, I don't understand their lack of division amongst cultural groups that simply aren't homogenous enough to be lumped together. They speak about 30 different languages in India, and each region has a different official one. That sounds like a place you can't just brand as all being one culture. Just my two cents though. I got a tirade about it when my Bengali girlfriend first played the game with me. Naturally she wanted to play her own Civilization and she was pretty put off by the lazy as hell UA, though she obviously didn't object to Gandhi's presence as leader.

Well, I disagree. Both Asoka and Akbar would fit in quite well (not as universally acclaimed as Gandhi of course). Asoka had his conversion to Buddhism and nonviolence (which is supposed to epitomise India in the game as well) and Akbar was a firm proponent of religious tolerance, and is quite popular in India. Both were able rulers and controlled most of, or more than, India and Pakistan.
Despite this, any of them displacing Gandhi would be a long shot primarily because of the iconic status he now enjoys in the Civ community (arguably the most popular along with Montezuma). Not to mention of course the running gag of him being crazy with nukes:lol:

Cleopatra was probably not exceedingly beautiful. This is a Hollywoodization. Busts and images that are thought to be authentic representations (as opposed to stylized representations) of Cleopatra range from showing her to be somewhat unattractive (or even kinda ugly) to being just the 'average-looking' aristocratic female for her times and ancenstral lineage. But as far as a Roman or other European would have been concerned, this would not have been considered 'exceedingly beautiful' because the standards of beauty were different for Rome, North-Western Europe, and 'Greecian' Europe than they were for 'Eastern' Nations such as Egypt, Pontus, Parthia, Armenia, etc.

Both Cicero and Augustus mentioned her in unflattering terms, I believe, in letters and the like (aristocratic Romans of the time were always writing letters to each other, often to their political rivals as much their political friends). Augustus seems to always have detested her, but this might have been jealousy of her relationship with Caesar, and later rooted in his rivalry with Mark Antony. My personal suspicion is that Cicero was offended by her relationship with Caesar both because she was non-Roman and because she was a ruling Monarch attempting (in his view, I suspect) to interfere in the affairs of Rome and Romans via the medium of her sexuality, so he presented her in the most unflattering terms in any correspondance of his that mentioned her. I think if she had shown up in Rome and started to spread gold around to Senators in need of a little extra cash1 (Cicero chief amongst such) and not arrived in a Royal Procession while also flaunting and highlighting her relationship with Caesar, I think Cicero would have thought much more highly of her.

1ie, in the time-honored tradition Rome and Her Senators had come to view as being the 'correct' way such things were done.

Honestly the mods I'd be looking for are Celtic nations split (Iceni, Picts, Gauls, Manx, Cymry, Cornish, Irish, Scots, Ulster, Bretons) and Norse nations split (Danes, Swedes, Norwegians, Icelanders, [Aalanders, Faroese, Orkneys, Norse Greenlanders, Svalbarders 😂,] maybe also the union's ie DK-NO, NO-SE, Kalmar, IS-DK personal union)

Yeah, I'm weird. Fully aware of that lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You people are going deep and meaningful, I just want ot have mods with interesting gameplay. Y'know, those that present interesting mechanics and throw me unto an unorthodox path to achieve something really cool.

Seems the Historical Society lives here. No mention of alternate paths, the "what if" Mods. And no I'm not talking Sword and Sorcery either.

Culturally exact starting positions Mods, ugh! No Thanks. Earth type maps all the time, no thanks. Historical ruts run deep and to get out of the rut is heresy. :p Fill in the ruts and make new paths, those are the Mods that challenge and add Fun into the game, not Historical reenactment mods.

JosEPh ;)

Personally I would love to see the whole slate of "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization" mods and modmods brought over from Civ IV. Besides the original that was included in 'Beyond the Sword', there's a few still in active development, including "Dawn of Civilization" (an expanded world history mod), "Rhye's and Fall of Europe" (medieval European mod), and "Sword of Islam" (Middle Ages mod). That's not even to mention some of the others that were abandoned, including one with multiplayer, one set in ancient Greece, one set in the classical world more broadly, and another set in East Asia.

Given how Civ VI will apparently be 'un-stacking' cities just as CiV did with units, I think it'd probably be best to start work with one of the smaller-scale mods (probably Rhye's of Europe) before attempting the full scope of world history with a full scale world map.

Besides all of the customizing work (new civs, units, buildings, leaders, abilities/traits, civics/policies, techs... you know, everything), the major features would be:

• Stability, and everything that entails (tile/province stability effects, civic combos, etc.)
  • Unique Historical Victories, so each civ faces a unique challenge reflecting their own national history
  • Unique spawn dates and locations, so each civ starts at the right time and place on the map
  • Developing leaders over a civ's history (England, for instance, might start with Alfred the Great, switch to Elizabeth I, then end with Winston Churchill).

That last feature might also be paired with developing/varying traits or Unique Abilities, so the changing leaders would give England different strengths over the course of its history.

Given how Civ VI will apparently be 'un-stacking' cities just as CiV did with units, I think it'd probably be best to start work with one of the smaller-scale mods (probably Rhye's of Europe) before attempting the full scope of world history with a full scale world map.

I'm not sure if this idea belongs here, but I was putting more thought into a Europe-history mod, specifically into how to allow (much) larger maps without overwhelming the game with lag. Given the needed map size to make city+districts work within a standard European map context, I think the best thing would be to allow more cities with fewer units overall. This could be as simple as making units much more expensive and buildings much less so -- which fits the historical reality, since it'd be pretty easy to find a farm or forge in medieval Europe but castles were pretty rare and armies were smaller than in later ages.

However, I had another idea, that I like quite a bit more. One of the things that the Civ VI developers have been talking about is that this new game 'unstacks' cities (with districts) just as Civ V 'unstacked' units (with 1upt). My suggestion would be to correlate specific units (usually the more advanced ones of each age) with specific districts as prerequisites.

For instance, a recent gameplay video shows a city making a new 'trader' unit that generates a trade routes and builds a road connecting two cities. I'd propose that building such units should require the city to have a commerce district (and possibly a first building within that district, like a market).

More obviously, you could require a barracks for more advanced infantry, an arsenal for more advanced gunpowder/artillery units, etc.

For a mod centered around European history, you could do something even cooler.

Say you could upgrade normal improvements, just like you can apparently upgrade/expand city districts. Farms, then, could be improved initially with manor-houses, which would give bonus commerce. Later on they could be improved with castles -- which might give defense + immunity to razing, but would also enable knights.

For each farm+castle, that city could produce a single knight.

If you wanted to limit it further, you could connect farms to how many hitpoints each knight has:

• The first castle gives a single knight with half its normal health as its maximum
  • The second castle boosts that knight's max health to full
  • The third castle allows a second knight at half-health
  • The fourth castle boosts the max health of the second knight
  • The fifth & sixth castles would perhaps provide a "Squires" promotion, that allows the unit to heal more quickly after combat

In other words, knights would retain a consistent pre-determined strength, but the size of the army (reflected in its health or hitpoints) would depend on how many castles exist within that city's region.

Another restriction could be based on the historical tendency for armies to 'live off the land' -- a nice euphemism for looting and pillaging from whoever was unlucky enough to live in that area. This could be included by reducing the food production of each tile with a unit on it to 0.

Whichever path you take, I think that restricting units would do quite a bit to limit the turn-by-turn busy-work that makes the later game go so slowly.

* World map with historic starting locations (preferably Civ2 style, i.e. you can still chose or randomize how many and which civs are in a game).
* Multiple leaders per civ (selecatable and/or randomized).
* Any features from RFC. (Preferably configurable, so you could adjust what causes instability and how much).

R.E.D, because I'd vastly prefer a small army of units to four people carrying around laughably oversized weapons.

And maybe a good Equestria mod with an animated leaderhead, just because I like Civ with a dash of ponies.

One of the things that the Civ VI developers have been talking about is that this new game 'unstacks' cities (with districts) just as Civ V 'unstacked' units (with 1upt). My suggestion would be to correlate specific units (usually the more advanced ones of each age) with specific districts as prerequisites.

For instance, a recent gameplay video shows a city making a new 'trader' unit that generates a trade routes and builds a road connecting two cities. I'd propose that building such units should require the city to have a commerce district (and possibly a first building within that district, like a market).

More obviously, you could require a barracks for more advanced infantry, an arsenal for more advanced gunpowder/artillery units, etc.

For a mod centered around European history, you could do something even cooler.

Say you could upgrade normal improvements, just like you can apparently upgrade/expand city districts. Farms, then, could be improved initially with manor-houses, which would give bonus commerce. Later on they could be improved with castles -- which might give defense + immunity to razing, but would also enable knights.

-snip-

Whichever path you take, I think that restricting units would do quite a bit to limit the turn-by-turn busy-work that makes the later game go so slowly.

I really like this idea. Maybe we'll get lucky and Firaxis will already have built something similar into Civ 6 -- but if not, let's hope some talented modder can do it for us. :D

Oh mighty modders! I came forth to humbly request a mod without any knowledge on the matter or the complexity it entails.

Request #63948: Create-your-own-Civ-to-play-with-in-SP

Each of the 18 Civs will have its own assets, and I dream of selecting those that I prefer to different combinations.
In other words:

-Choose icon (even upload your own, a man can dream)
-Choose leader (in case this is required for some reason, but this mod is for SP, player-controlled civs only)
-Choose UA
-Choose 2 UU
-Choose 1 UB or UI
-Name your Civ and leader
-Have Fun

Is this something feasible by the mighty modding community?

Oh mighty modders! I came forth to humbly request a mod without any knowledge on the matter or the complexity it entails.

Request #63948: Create-your-own-Civ-to-play-with-in-SP

Each of the 18 Civs will have its own assets, and I dream of selecting those that I prefer to different combinations.
In other words:

-Choose icon (even upload your own, a man can dream)
-Choose leader (in case this is required for some reason, but this mod is for SP, player-controlled civs only)
-Choose UA
-Choose 2 UU
-Choose 1 UB or UI
-Name your Civ and leader
-Have Fun

Is this something feasible by the mighty modding community?

DivineYuri managed it for Civ V, but it took some time before something like this came out. How feasible it is really depends upon how the database is setup for Civ VI. The separate Unique for Leaders over Civs sounds promising, but who knows; this could be as superficial as the Trait being technically tied to the leader in Civ V.

-RAS
-IGE
-Reseed
-RED
-Emigration
-PerfectWorld3
-A complete overhaul mod like Super Powers after a while to change the game experience

I want ports of my favorite modded civilizations (mostly precolonial civs from the Americas, Australia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Oceania), a port of Future World, and, perhaps most importantly:

If the screenshots I've seen are accurate, I'd like to see a mod which changes up the graphics to be a bit less saturated and less "cartoony," so it looks a little more like Civ V.

Well, I'm for all of the mods that increase historical accuracy, no doubt.

But since I *expect* that those will come along, I'm going to wish for another Game of Thrones mod and another LotR mod. Nothing quite like playing as Angmar and :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :)-slapping Sauron around.

But I note that I'd much rather see these fantasy types of mods as more a mod and less a scenario. Scenarios are too confining.

Also, as a limited-patience modder myself, I really love the tech tree era cap mods from Civ V. Those are a dream come true for me. They make it incredibly easy to make a 'mod' just by plugging in one of the era caps, choosing a specific map, and choosing appropriate civs. Takes all of ten minutes to make an imperialism game or Roman conquest game with those. I've even used them to make a LotR game.

The ability to hand-pick your civ's traits and such is cool too.

Any mod that allows for bigger maps and more cities.

Top Bottom