What operating system do you use?

What operating system do you use/prefer?

• Total voters
i need multiple choice

I run Vista, XP, 98, 95, 3.1, Dos 6.22, Dos 3.0, MAC OS9, and Ubuntu.

I use Vista, but I'm saving to buy an iMac. I currently have ~€450, but I need €1100 for one :( Well, I use very little money so maybe I'll have enough by the end of the year.

Dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu. Vista for day-to-day stuff and gaming. Ubuntu for some coursework, coding other than in C#, when I get bored of Windows, or when I miss Amarok too much. :p

I have Vista 64 on my laptop and OSX on my other laptop that sits in the garage.

I really have no issues with Vista at all-don't see why everyone complains.

Because everyone has the old notions of Vista from back when it was released. Its a much better OS now, especially now that hardware and software for it have matured. Windows 7 is even better imho, and despite a few quirks ( The nVidia drivers are not 100% stable even still, although that may be the folding im doing on the GPU's ) it works flawlessly.

Since I did a bit of cleanup and maintenance on all the pc's here, I took a survey of all the OS's we have. We have a FBSD 6.2 NAS, we have a FBSD 7.1 compile box that my dad uses exclusively. We have an old win 98 monster ( our first pc here in the US, it used to run 95 but we changed that). Couple sets of Windows 2000, couple sets of XP, a Vista laptop ( mine ), a Windows 7 desktop ( mine ), Ubuntu 9.04 in a VM, Notfred's SMP Client in a VM, and many, many old HDD's with diff OS' on them. Only thing we dont have is a mac, although with my sister owning an iTouch and looking at macbooks all day, that may change too.

Vista. And no, it's not the devil.

And that poll is glaringly incomplete.

Vista Home Pro 64bit verson. I only use windows for gaming.

And who on Earth still use DOS now-aday?! Have they learned about the Holy DOSBox?

Ubuntu or OpenSuSe depending on my mood.

The only good reason to use DOS in a home setting is for old games ( I dont know why you'd write programs for an OS that essentially doesnt exist anymore) and DosBox is more than good enough for them. Businesses that need to support old DOS software ( old POS, etc) probably have machines that run DOS.

Aren't there a few hardware utilities that run on DOS? I know HWiNFO (not HWiNFO32) does.

I'm not sure then.

I googlged "dual-boot DOS" and it seems to be possible, got something about FreeDOS.

Windows XP as host OS, along with Debian in a virtual machine. I prefer Debian for programming and academic work, while Windows has better drivers, better games, and better editors.

Sort of OT, but here's a video of me installing Ubuntu in a VM. Ironically I used Windows Movie Maker to put it together. VirtualDub is a pain when trying to merge several videos, although I used it to crop and resize the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DtNaIZtg0

Wait, why did you install ubuntu in a VM? Why not use Wubi?

Top Bottom