What operating system do you use?

What operating system do you use/prefer?

• Total voters
Xubuntu Linux here, but I'm stuck on XP atm thanks to a HD crash on my Linux laptop. XP feels like going back to an extremely sluggish stone age after using Xubuntu :/ Considering trying another couple of Linux OSs soon, Mint and OpenGEU.

Used to use Mac, but had atrocious luck with the hardware and dropped out. It's a shame really, cos the OS is actually pretty nice, annoying Mac zealots aside

Xubuntu Linux here, but I'm stuck on XP atm thanks to a HD crash on my Linux laptop. XP feels like going back to an extremely sluggish stone age after using Xubuntu :/ Considering trying another couple of Linux OSs soon, Mint and OpenGEU.

Used to use Mac, but had atrocious luck with the hardware and dropped out. It's a shame really, cos the OS is actually pretty nice, annoying Mac zealots aside

Xubuntu is nice, I've been using it for the past few weeks.

And XP feels like that after using any modern operating system. ;)

I use and prefer Windows XP Home at home. Been using it for 6 years now (which also means I've been playing Civ for 6 years :eek:!), and plan to for a few years to come at least. Tried Vista, but it didn't cooperate with Civ3, amongst other programs, so it had to go. I have a few Linuxes and Solaris on virtual machines for program testing, but they similarly have problems with Civ, so they don't stand a chance as a main OS. Although even not considering Civ, I run far too many Windows programs to seriously consider another OS, and I don't have any complaints about XP, so as long as I can run XP (not Vista/7), I'm happy with Windows.

At work I mainly use Solaris 9, but I can't say I'm a big fan of it. It gets the job done, but I'd just as soon use Linux for what we do. Solaris 9 as it's configured for my job feels like the Stone Age after using Windows (any halfway recent version). I don't doubt the ancient configuration (Netscape Navigator 4.7 is the only web browser, for instance) contributes to this, but I prefer Linux to Solaris 10 even when I have a modern browser in Solaris.

If it wasn't for the lack of games, I would prefer Linux. So it's Windows Vista for me. Looking forward to Windows 7.

Atm Windows XP (my own laptop is in repairs), On laptop I have windows Vista (have not bothered to change). I'm thinking of trying some *unix (like ubuntu) OS, but I do not make difference between all those different names (ubuntu, kubuntu, red hat etc.), and websites do not seem to give much info either.

Atm Windows XP (my own laptop is in repairs), On laptop I have windows Vista (have not bothered to change). I'm thinking of trying some *unix (like ubuntu) OS, but I do not make difference between all those different names (ubuntu, kubuntu, red hat etc.), and websites do not seem to give much info either.

Just ask around. People will tell you what flavor of linux they like, and why. Didn't like Ubuntu, didn't like Mandrake, PCLOS was okay, but not what I was looking for. Mint for me was a good match.

I'm trying to decide which OS I want to use. Had various flavors of Linux. Pretty much settled on Mint. I have a laptop with Vista, will not be changing that. My desktop changes Os a lot. I just had Vista on it and I liked it but reverted back to XP to see if it would speed things up a bit in the gaming department. Honestly, it seems that XP might be a bit more sluggish than Vista, not sure though. XP certainly isn't as pretty as Vista.

Windows here.

Windows has multiple versions, apple doesnt make a macintosh OS, it makes OS X.
OS X is branded "Mac OS X", so I don't think it's as wrong as you make out.

It's true that both "Mac OS" and "Windows" have referred to more than one OS, but classic MacOS and Windows 9x were years old (although admittedly, it's odd that the poll lists old OSs like DOS...) I think it's reasonable to count NT, 2K, XP, Vista and Windows 7 under the same heading, as they're all different versions of a single OS line. Just as it'd be silly to have separate options for OS X 10, OS X 10.1, OS X 10.2, OS X 10.3, OS X 10.4, OS X 10.5, OS X 10.6 :)

Linux exists in many flavors.
Similarly for the purposes of a poll like this, I think counting Linux as one is more sensible than listing every single distribution.

If every single version of every single OS was listed, there'd be a vast number of options...

Similarly for the purposes of a poll like this, I think counting Linux as one is more sensible than listing every single distribution.

If every single version of every single OS was listed, there'd be a vast number of options...

Not necessarily, exactly because there are so many options. For instance, I could say that im an almost daily Linux user because the registers at the Trader Joe's I work at run linux. Its not quite like anything you'd see on a desktop though.

And if you go to the ATM every day, you could say you use Windows every day too.

:shudder:

Not necessarily, exactly because there are so many options. For instance, I could say that im an almost daily Linux user because the registers at the Trader Joe's I work at run linux. Its not quite like anything you'd see on a desktop though.
But that's a separate issue - even if every form of Linux was listed separately, you could still ask whether you should tick the version that your register runs... It would be better to restrict the question to computer OSs (otherwise there's also the issue of things such as phones).

What's wrong with 2000?

Nothing if it was 2002. By now, its no longer supported by MS, which means no more security updates. Id like ATM's I use to be secure tyvm.

Nothing if it was 2002. By now, its no longer supported by MS, which means no more security updates. Id like ATM's I use to be secure tyvm.

MS supports Windows 2000 with security updates until July 13, 2010.

edit: Support for XP pre-SP3 also ends on July 13, 2010, and security updates for XP ends in April 2014.

What if you run an OS in a VM? Does that count?

Top Bottom