what ROM version is the best for multiplayers games ?

Flay

Prince
All in the title.
OOS is maybe the worst problem. So is there a version more OOS friendly than an other?

buddy has Vista, i have XP but never have we seen a game that we create available in the staging area/lobby. this goes for Internet and LAN attempts.

LoR mod does work MP which is interesting....

ROM however is hands down the best version of Civilization ever. :king:

That is why we would love to see an emphasis on the MP version as 2.7 emerges...

2.7 test1 worked very well in a three player MP game I had a couple of weeks ago. We didn't play all the way through (or even to the mid-game) but we did play several hundred turns without a single OOS. We haven't tried 2.7 test2 yet. My only worry is that test2 now uses WoC Lite and when we tried a MP game of 2.63 WoC Lite we got OOS errors as soon as the game started (it was unplayable). I'm really hoping test2 won't be the same.

We've been playing 2.53 without the Rev part on with great success for a long time. We play 3-5 players at a time and use the direct IP connection. Haven't tried the others really yet as it takes us so long to play even a good part of a game and haven't gotten much good feedback on the other versions. I too hope for 2.7 to have an emphasis on multiplayer, this is a great mod and makes for great multiplayer experiences (except for the @#$#$ cheating AI!! lol)

our issue is the game doesnt even show up for joining! what causes this aspect? LAN and Internet... RoM simply doesnt show up for available servers to join.... :blush:

2.7 test1 worked very well in a three player MP game I had a couple of weeks ago. We didn't play all the way through (or even to the mid-game) but we did play several hundred turns without a single OOS. We haven't tried 2.7 test2 yet. My only worry is that test2 now uses WoC Lite and when we tried a MP game of 2.63 WoC Lite we got OOS errors as soon as the game started (it was unplayable). I'm really hoping test2 won't be the same.

maybe you should preserve that Test 1 file version for us multiplayer fans? some folks swear by v 2.5 but even that never got a server join option.... again, it could be anything but RoM related but we get LoR just fine...

We don't use the LAN, we use the direct IP option to join up.

Go to multiplayer, then hit "Direct IP Connection" and put the host's IP address in the blank field. Rarely have any trouble with that at all. Perhaps that would work best for you? We do find that one or two players can host easily, others have problems (perhaps because two of them share a home network?). You may have to tinker with router settings a bit to get one that can host, but once done, that should work fine.

I suppose if 2.7test2 gives too many OOS errors, I'll have to remove my files and put in 2.53, because I really only play to play with a friend of mine. I can play any version of this single player if I'm in the mood for playing alone. I would love to see more emphasis put on making sure Multiplayer works, even if it means adding less stuff per version. I think at this stage, the mod has enough stuff in it that not many will complain if it's a little slower going to ensure multiplayer actually is playable.

I suppose if 2.7test2 gives too many OOS errors, I'll have to remove my files and put in 2.53, because I really only play to play with a friend of mine. I can play any version of this single player if I'm in the mood for playing alone. I would love to see more emphasis put on making sure Multiplayer works, even if it means adding less stuff per version. I think at this stage, the mod has enough stuff in it that not many will complain if it's a little slower going to ensure multiplayer actually is playable.

agreed. and without proof, we find that when we play as a team the computer competes more harder. no facts on this, just going from experience....

multiplayer also has the best element in any computer game -- those random things other human players will do that frankly after playing four generations of Civ you already expect from the computer... like massive warrior attacks in the first 30 turns you would never had seen from a computer player. :eek:

we tried again last night to play RoM and couldn't see either attempt to host the game. we think this may be some accumulation of possibly different RoM versions. so we will wait for 2.7 and try it all again since LoR mod works perfectly in multiplayer for us.

it would be wonderful if the installed mod version could be visible on the first boot screen, such as in the upper right hand corner where the mod name is?

I do not have probleme to host, either thrue internet direct IP or Lan.
direct ip only work if the host is on DMZ for me.

We have tried to open the port on the router, as explain somewhere in civfanatics forum, but and thats goes for bts no mod allso, only the pc on DMZ make to host Direct IP games.

OOS is the probleme on MP.

with 2.71 we got OOS that freeze the game so hard it is difficult to quite.
with 2.63 woc, we got the usual OOS include does when building city with colonist, and that was supposed to be fix after what I read on the faq.

I do not have probleme to host, either thrue internet direct IP or Lan.
direct ip only work if the host is on DMZ for me.

We have tried to open the port on the router, as explain somewhere in civfanatics forum, but and thats goes for bts no mod allso, only the pc on DMZ make to host Direct IP games.

OOS is the probleme on MP.

with 2.71 we got OOS that freeze the game so hard it is difficult to quite.
with 2.63 woc, we got the usual OOS include does when building city with colonist, and that was supposed to be fix after what I read on the faq.

the clincher for me not worrying about port access, router configs and the such is that (1) all other versions of CIV work and (2) only RoM doesn't...

what luck have you had with the LoR mod? i was drawn to that by the emphasis of being a packaged mod as if commercially viable. we have had no OOS or CTD issues whatsoever on LoR, problem is we love RoM! :king:

I have only tried Rom as a mod. but will give a try on LoR.
and let you know.

Top Bottom