What shall we research next?

What would you like to see done?

• Total voters
I think instead of a 1700 AD start, it should be a 1500 AD start. Let's face it, for many of us, the colonization of the New World and Africa is the most exciting and intense part of RFC(if your European). So here are a couple a reasons/ suggestions:
-10 years a turn from 1500-1700, when the focus of the game takes off.
-Spain won't automatically have all of South America (except Portuguese Brazil, which applies the same principle), Latin America, Florida, and the western half of the US.
-The Dutch could even hang onto New Amsterdam and South Africa (but the odds are against them).
-We could play as the Aztecs or Incas and try to fend off European conquest, but with a FAT chance.
-We could code the game so there is an initial civilization, but has a set spawn date in case it collapses, like for Egypt, Arabia, Inca, and Aztec Mexico.
-The Ottoman Empire wouldn't be a default superpower in Europe and the Mediterranean.

So post if you agree or disagree. And we have to prioritize historical accuracy and gameplay.

Agree that 1500 is better than 1700. If this were Europa Universalis it would be different but RFC is about settlement, stability and expansion much more so than other strategy games.

EDIT: Nonetheless I still think it's a job for modders other than Rhye.

I'm against late starts. They are all but open to different resuls like Zachscape suggested. The later the start, the more boring and predictable gameplay.
The 1500 AD start would have the same civs of the 600 AD but they would be already started civs. I think that most of the fun of Civ is the starting of civilization, and the reason why you like colonization so much is only because it's just a second start ;)
The difference with 600 AD start though is that only a few civs would get this chance. What about Arabia, Khmer, China, etc etc ? A lot of yawning.

I think this would work better as a scenario, a colonial age scenario for RFC.

I voted for Alternative Histories (or whatever it's called), to add to RFC's replayability, however I thought of a nice other. However it might be too complicated so maybe it's just as well I voted for Alternative Histories.

Anyway, the idea is to add a no autoplay option for each civilization (Greece and onwards), so that the world would be more realistic when you arrive. So, when starting as Greece, Babilu would have built the Hanging Gardens and Niwt-Rst the Pyramids, as well as all current religions founded in their right places. Another example, when starting as Rome, Carthage would have expanded to an extent impossible when autoplaying and perhaps Greece would be a large empire (not sure exactly when Alexander conquered). These sort of things would add to the realism of the game, and make a nice change from Empires never actually extending to where they actually did. Rome never comes even close, Greece and Persia rarely expand west or east like they did, they always become an unrealistic sliver going north and south, and Arabia or Turkey never feel the need to conquer much anything, despite being more than able.

This idea, however complicated or simple it may be, would add so much to this game that I love ten times more than normal CIV. :)

Hey I would like everything and I've been wondering if you could do like an European only RFC mod for BTS, a giant Europe map with almost all the civs at that time with historical events the wars and peaces than could be like this historical peaces of a part of land or historical wars of a part of land, if you can understand me, for me would be a perfect mod.

Hey I would like everything and I've been wondering if you could do like an European only RFC mod for BTS, a giant Europe map with almost all the civs at that time with historical events the wars and peaces than could be like this historical peaces of a part of land or historical wars of a part of land, if you can understand me, for me would be a perfect mod.

It's already been done with RFC Europe as you can see from all the other threads on this forum. Read a bit further. Perhaps you've missed it.:rolleyes:

I voted for Alternative Histories (or whatever it's called), to add to RFC's replayability, however I thought of a nice other. However it might be too complicated so maybe it's just as well I voted for Alternative Histories.

Anyway, the idea is to add a no autoplay option for each civilization (Greece and onwards), so that the world would be more realistic when you arrive. So, when starting as Greece, Babilu would have built the Hanging Gardens and Niwt-Rst the Pyramids, as well as all current religions founded in their right places. Another example, when starting as Rome, Carthage would have expanded to an extent impossible when autoplaying and perhaps Greece would be a large empire (not sure exactly when Alexander conquered). These sort of things would add to the realism of the game, and make a nice change from Empires never actually extending to where they actually did. Rome never comes even close, Greece and Persia rarely expand west or east like they did, they always become an unrealistic sliver going north and south, and Arabia or Turkey never feel the need to conquer much anything, despite being more than able.

This idea, however complicated or simple it may be, would add so much to this game that I love ten times more than normal CIV. :)

I'm pretty sure there was an old mod that did something similar to what you're talking about.

The 1500 AD start would have the same civs of the 600 AD but they would be already started civs.

Have you seen how China and Japan are handled in the 600 AD start? They are not pre-built civs. They start from scratch (though they get more free stuff).

And a later start would make America games more predictable. Currently there is no predictability for America because it starts later than all the other civs (a lot later). This makes strategy guides for them unreliable.

A 1700 AD start would be great. Imagine the whole Spanish Empire under AI control! The Euros would start with cities in India, so you might see AI Britannia rule the waves! And the tech level would make American games consistently playable.

If it is 1500, here's how I think it should start:
Warning: Very Large Image
EDIT: It's actually not that large. It was A LOT bigger on paint.
Spoiler :

The black represents independents and native. It looks like a lot from this picture, but it would be a few cities here and there. It also supports imperialism. Russia will be able to conquer West, South, and East, Europeans could take cities in indy India and SE Asia, yadi yada.
I added Austria in this because I think it plays a major role in world events, especially in the 1800 and 1900s. It is not big enough for RFC 4000 or 600, but would definitely play a major role in a 1500/1700 start.
I also think that this project won't on the scale of the 600 AD mod, but much, MUCH higher. We won't be satisfied with our current wonders or units. We would need more modern wonders, and scrap some of the old fantasy ones, like the Hanging Gardens, the colossus, and others. With only a 500/300 year time frame, we are going to have redo a lot.
2nd EDIT: We would also have to redo a lot of the UUs.

Upon further consideration, I think it would be great if aspects of the Better AI mod were merged with the Rhye-sphere of mods.

What would Ukraine do? It will have maybe 2 cities, and pardon me, but it didn't really have a major role on world affairs. It's like putting Korea in RFC. Sure it was a great civilization, but it is not worth it. We can just imagine Russia to be both Russia and Ukraine, and even Poland.

What would Ukraine do? It will have maybe 2 cities, and pardon me, but it didn't really have a major role on world affairs. It's like putting Korea in RFC. Sure it was a great civilization, but it is not worth it. We can just imagine Russia to be both Russia and Ukraine, and even Poland.

The whole 'Ukraine thing' is just inside-joke, don't take it too seriously :mischief:

not sure this is even possible...

but its all about progress, but while romans can do very well, then will they eventually reach their limits and to progress futher, they have to develop into the italiens, to gain new territory and goal, not forgetting their nation setup.

for those nations, who never become better, there could be a "what if" so just add some extra territory around their start up bits.

some nations could expand a few times, Romans, could become papal states first and then become italiens, Germans begin a Saxons perhaps, then become Prussians and then finally Germans.

Even if Saxons are wiped out, then can Prussian spawn and so on.

Have you seen how China and Japan are handled in the 600 AD start? They are not pre-built civs. They start from scratch (though they get more free stuff).

No, no they definitely do NOT start from scratch. Besides, the way that it's been arranged is annoying and ahistorical.

And a later start would make America games more predictable. Currently there is no predictability for America because it starts later than all the other civs (a lot later). This makes strategy guides for them unreliable.

but predictability is exactly what I am speaking against. I don't want to play a button that replays history, I want to play a game. A lot of stuff is already predetermined in RFC, I really don't think we need more.

A longer modern age would be nice. Wasn't the modern time given fewer turns in the last build? Seems there is hardly any time left to build the modern units and fight with them. That's why I likte to see a modern Rhye's and Fall mod, starting in 1870, not just a new start in the 1500's or 1700's.

stuff i'd like to see in RFC: longer modern age, flavoured religions and shisms, reworked corporations, possibility to spawn a vassal out of conquered lands (release colony option from vanilla?)

I was allso thinking about a unique historical event(UHE). Every civ could have a 90% chance of getting 1 UHE out of a set of 3 possible events (10% chance of getting none, 1 out of 3 , so it wouldn't be to deterministic).

For these events, I was thinking of something like:
Spain (Colombus event around 1500):
"A brave explorer asked you to support an expedition of exporation of the western seas."
1) Pay 50 gold and get a Caravel near Cuba
2) send him away

Dutch (Piet Heyn event, around 1600), or England (Francis Drake event)
"A brave naval captain requests permission for building a privateerfleet"
1) Pay 100 gold and get 3 privateers
2) Piracy is not the way of this nation!

England (Mayflower event, 1600's)
"A group of people seeks religious freedom in the new world"
1) let them go: get a settler in New England, lose 2 population in London
2) force them to stay and convert them: 2 angry faces of 10 turns in London, recieve 50 gold from claiming gold from heretics

France (Jeanne d'Arc event 1400's)
"A young maiden claims God speaks to her and will lead our civ to glory"
1) Get a great general and 3 knights, -3 in relations with all known civs
2) burn the witch, 1 angry face in all cities for 10 turns

Russia (Peter the Great's Reforms, around 1700)
"Your people are uneducated and this holds back our civ!"
1)Educated the people: get an academy in the capital and a libery in all cities bigger than 5 (pay 50 gold)
2)The barbarians can't be educated! (barracks give +1 XP more)

If you create a 1700 ad start, it will become necessary to reduce the chance of collapsing and increase the chance of (instead collapse) old civilizations come back and the apparition of independant cities. By example, see tha half of the world collapse in 1960 is not very realistic, but a civ come back can represent all the politicals movements.
sorry for bad english

Top Bottom