1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Slip de Garcon, Aug 28, 2018.

1. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

->

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

What you've quoted does not actually fix unit cycling.

3. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Warmongering denouncements from Civs that are themselves more a warmonger than I am (I am a very peaceful player). An example I posted in a different thread:

I would simply like to see Civilizations get a minus to judging you for warmongering, on how much war they themselves initiate. I am currently playing a Korea game where I have been attacked twice, and once during that attack finished off the Zulu (who had been at war with Australia for hundreds of years). I razed one of their cities (their last, tiny city, removing them from game), and when Australia declared war on me, I took the original Zulu capital (next to my borders) and nothing else. All my cities were surrounding my capital, so nothing far off, while Australia was going rampant, founding 11 cities. Of course they called me a warmonger the whole game, while making friends with Mongolia (who also constantly denounced me for being a warmonger) who controlled one massive continent, and the capitals of Rome and the Aztec.

So yeah, I'm the warmonger for taking one city that doesn't even belong to you? Rubbish system.

After I won that game with a science victory, having never declared war except that one time, I just nuked the hell out of everything and started razing cities out of spite. I must say, it's been the second time since the launch of the game (and 1300 hours of playing) that I launched a nuke and by the gods... it's impressive...

4. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

Another "vote" for unit cycling.
    Namely the fact that the game selects you not the unit right next to the one you just moved, but the one on the other end of the map.
    AND if you try to be fast enough and select the unit quickly before the game selects the distant one, you make it even worse because the game doesn't care and still selects the unit it wants to select and as a result you order the unit to move over the whole map. Plus you really don't know which unit it was so you have to check them all.

WHY WHY WHY WHY?

5. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Warlord

Yep, this is what made me start this thread, expecting it to die a death.

As I said before, add in the fact that it keeps selecting the same unit for a fraction of a second THEN changing its mind to another unit, before almost selecting the same unit AGAIN, then changing its mind to another unit. The unit cycling is so broken I'm astounded it's survived so many updates.

beestar likes this.
  6. TomKQT

TomKQT Prince

It even happened in at least one of the gameplay streams Firaxis had on Youtube...

7. universecreep

universecreep Chieftain

I'd have to say diplomacy bugs me the most. It's so boring.

Civ IV had the most dynamic diplomacy. If you were powerful, some AI's would be friendly out of fear. If you were weak, some would take pity on you and offer you things. The vassal system was nice too.
    Civ V while not as good as IV became quite nice. The warmonger denouncements of VI still were there but there was some nuance to diplomacy. If you denounced someone an AI hated, they'd sometimes complement you and even perhaps friendly if they were not already.

VI's diplomacy is a mess: (1) Denouncements every 30 turns (yes I get it you hate me - stop bothering me about it!) are maddening. (2) The text responses during diplomacy are rushed and show no variation between the leaders or are completely ridiculous - (The AI sues for peace - I refuse - they threaten me that I'll "eventually give them my gold"). (3) I agree to a trade proposal by the AI and the wording reads as though I suggested the deal. (4) The stupid demands by the AI. I never get a demand from someone who can threaten me. It's always from an AI that I've already beaten and forgotten about. Crazy.

It wouldn't take much to fix. Add a few different lines of text to each leader's responses to add some variation and so they make more sense. Tweak the AI behavior so it understands when to threaten. Make the AI understand when not to "poke the bear" - don't denounce me when I'm the most powerful Civ - have some self preservation.

Maybe look back at Civ IV's diplomacy code and pull some ideas from there.

Unfortunately, Firaxis won't do any of this. They are too focused on adding new features rather than polishing the existing ones. Sigh.

8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I agree with most of that, but people denounce the United States all the time. We aren't well liked in many parts of the world. We aren't even well liked in some U.S. States. :)

row2infinity likes this.
  9. universecreep

universecreep Chieftain

I agree but it's a game.

I always liked it in Civ IV when a weak civ would grovel at my feet. It was fun which is what a game should be. I don't care about realism.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

True, I miss Civ4 diplomacy. And also vassal states. To be honest, that's what made the AI in that game kind of dangerous when they got vassal states.

11. Drakul

Drakul Warlord

In my opinion the changes done to strategic resources. I miss the god old scramble for strategic resources from Civ 5 where you needed planing,placing tactical decisions/moves in order to have an huge army of horsemen and swordsmen,cannons etc. Now you just make as much as you need without limit.

12. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I was thinking about how likely that possibility that they could bring this mechanic back in the next expansion, until I realized that it probably wouldn't work with Scythia's current 2-for-the-price-of-1 mounted unit ability. So either A) they'd have to change Scythia's ability or B) we'll have to wait for Civ 7 to see if they bring it back.

13. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

They could keep Scythia's ability, but give them two mounted units for every horse instead of one. Might be a bit OP, as Scythia already usually has horses, but quite doable, I would think.

14. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

I am aware of this. I wanted only give interested living in want players some relief, you know, a quick workaround as "first aid" - just removing the most serious 'auto unit cycling' hardship for those, who simply want to play.

Of course that doesn't interfere at all with everybodies unrestricted right to lament until FXS releases a product containing an implementation of unit cycling to his "full satisfaction".

TheMeInTeam likes this.
  15. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

This is even worse when the unit cycling mechanic messes up from another screen. Since R&F, at least once each game I am plagued with an announcement for era advancement which when I click the button to dismiss this popup screen, the click also moved some random unit to the spot on the map which was under the button! Sometimes I don't know what happened to one of my attacking units which disappeared or a great person which was on his way to another city until the unit completes this long, random journey and then becomes an active unit in the cycle again now that he is in a completely different place on the map!

16. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I can't believe anyone actually leaves unit cycling on... :dunno:

Just assign a hotkey to next action. I prefer this even when unit cycling is done right. One thing that was unforgivable is the auto cycle moving away from combat before I could see the result. Nope Nope Nope.

c4c6 and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  17. L4Psha

L4Psha Warlord

Stealth technology gives you a B-52 bomber. That annoys me the most. I hope they'll fix it in expansion. And give some unit to fill the gap between knight and tank.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  18. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Oh, but you know what annoys me the most?

Having to constantly X out of the trading screen to pull up the Reports dialog to check to see if I need this or that resource. Why is this not a part of the trade screen?

It also causes me to decline offers I actually want. Then the AI finds another partner before my turn. :wallbash:

19. Boccages

Boccages Warlord

How the Mac port has really sluggish performance issues, especially after the industrial revolution when units multiply.

20. Jimdigriz

Jimdigriz Prince

Probably still the map thing. I just don't like the way everything goes brown unless you have stuff there. Surely they can provide an option to have this on/off?