1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Slip de Garcon, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

A little thing but annoying non the less: when I have a ranged unit on alert in a city or encampment it will often be woke up by an enemy unit still out of range. When that happens the alert button is greyed out and there is no skip turn button. Can only move, which I generally don't want, or put it on fortify, which means it won't prompt for an action next turn. So I have to remember there is an enemy near that city next turn, which can be tricky in large empires when there is a war going on. I really don't understand why the skip turn button is not available at all times.

Edit: and why doesn't the game alert me to enemies in my territory like in civ 5?! Or, while we're at it, when my cities are getting converted?!

2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

This. Every single annoyance that prevent me to play civ6, I could fix with the source code.

ezzlar and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  3. King Rad

King Rad Chieftain

It would be great if we could see all our resources, both owned [therefore tradeable], received from city states and in deals with other civs, etc. on the deal screen, as well as the current deals we have with the other civ. I either have to keep this on a separate spreadsheet i can consult or possibly make a deal for a resource that I'm already receiving - sometimes from the civ who is offering me the same resource as one already being received from that civ.

Have you tried the units report? I use it a lot. It shows all the units and their location. It also shows all units that are available for upgrade, where they're located, and clicking on the unit takes you directly to it. Also, the upgrade can be made directly in the report, which I find really convenient when I have several units I want/need to upgrade.

Bitterman and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  4. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

I use Community CQUI which icludes units report.

It still has some bugs but I prefer to deal with them instead of being forced to navigate through that ugly vanilla UI.

qadams and Tech Osen like this.
  5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Infixo's Better Report Screen > Unit Report Screen

N_M_L_C likes this.
  6. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Chieftain

Oh yeah, another. I'd love to be able to see - at a glance - a list of all my cities and how much production they have.

7. N_M_L_C

N_M_L_C Chieftain

In its current state I would say that there are 2 things that annoy me and hinder the gameplay possibilities : the lack of victory types (or at least a diplomatic victory) and the fact that growing large cities is pointless.

@Slip de Garcon as someone said above the mod Better Report Screen is a must have for thses kind of things

I definitely agree

KayAU likes this.
  8. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

And there's the crux of the issue in keeping a large fan base happy: people want such different things.

I think game play suffers from having too many different victory objectives, each of which is supported by a distinct game system directly primarily towards victory in that area. Having played a bit of Through the Ages lately, I wonder if Civ couldn't benefit from going back to simpler game objectives, but differing paths to get there. Get rid of Score as it currently stands, but replace it with a more nuanced measure, Prestige say. Then your military, cultural, religious, scientific, and yes, diplomatic, endeavours are all directed towards positioning yourself to influence the rest of the globe, but which mix of each you wield each game depends on your circumstances and what the other civs are up to.

But that's for another game, or at least another version of Civ. In the context of Civ 6, since variety in how you win seems to be a key objective for the development team, I think they should double down on that. Not just a diplomatic victory, but commercial victories, too. With a bit of creativity, I think they could come up with a half dozen other new victory types, which would play to the game's current strength of "choose how you want to win".

Zaarin and acluewithout like this.
  9. N_M_L_C

N_M_L_C Chieftain

I believe it's the best choice for a civ game.
    I like your idea of prestige points though, but in the end, what would be bhind? Aiming for a particular strength, be it religion, military power or wealth, or religous power.... So more or less the same thing...Just give us more choice to win games.:hug:

10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I think that's the big kicker. Tourism does nothing for me if I'm not aiming for a culture victory. I have no reason to participate in the space race if I'm not going for a science victory. Really the only aspect that is good for multitasking is religion, which can be used to boost either CV or SV quite nicely if you care to, but then the religion system is itself pretty broken, so...

11. Trav'ling Canuck

Done poorly, yes, it could devolve into just another bucket-filling exercise

Done, well, it could be something much better integrated. This isn't the thread for this, so I'll just add a quick outline of what I'm thinking. Prestige may be the wrong concept. Perhaps Influence would capture it better. Basically, thematically for what the Civ game is about, victory comes from having a certain amount of global influence. Right now, that's based on individual buckets. What if, instead, it was based on other civs? That is, what if you needed to have sufficient influence over each other civ in the game so that each of them recognizes you as the dominant civ on the planet? And that influence could come from military power (beating them in a war), cultural influence, religious influence, being in awe of your scientific prowess, etc. Other civs could influence them in other areas, so you couldn't just rely on dominance in a single area, but need to mix and match a bit based on what others are doing.

acluewithout likes this.
  12. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Reformation Victories by greyTiger adds 5 new victory conditions (Diplomatic, Economic, Industrial, Metropolis, and Territorial). Metropolis even solves your second annoyance since it requires you to grow a large city.

13. King Rad

King Rad Chieftain

This is also available on the report menu. There are 2 city menus there - one shows yields and can be sorted by yield type [e.g. faith, production, etc.] and the other show status.

14. N_M_L_C

N_M_L_C Chieftain

Thanks for the advice, I'm not a big fan of mods that change the mechanics, I prefer them to be official released. But I'll check those out!

I very much like the way you think!

15. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I really hate how the auto governor doesn't seem to prioritize food. Once they encounter a high yield tile with low food, they'll work it and keep the city at 1 pop.

I think it's gotten worse since Rise and Fall.

Tech Osen likes this.
  16. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

That's easy. Spawn crowding.

17. Trav'ling Canuck

It's odd, too, because the AI doesn't seem to do this. It appears to heavily favour food (or maybe it's getting a food bonus, not just a growth bonus on Deity). I would have thought the auto-governor would use the same logic as the AI.

Anyway, it seems to go with a straight yield count, and prefer the tile with the highest yield, with the only exception being to avoid starvation, but not stagnation.

If you lock a pop to a tile, then when choosing between tiles with equal total yield, it seems to then prefer the highest yield you've locked to. It also prefers faith/culture/science/gold over food/production. Haven't experimented enough to confirm exactly how this works.

Zaarin likes this.
  18. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

I really like the idea of eurekas/inspirations, but not the way they implemented it. Swapping out research to wait for the boost to finish it makes no sense, and is not particularly fun either. I have two different ideas for how to fix this:
    1. Eurekas/inspirations can only trigger before starting research
    2. Eurekas/inspirations don't give a flat amount of science/culture for a tech/civic, it gives a percentage modifier to research. So for example, say you start researching Writing, and get 60% of the way through before meeting another civ. Instead of finishing the tech immediately, during the remaining 40%, you will now get higher research output.
    I think both of these make more sense, and they reduce the incentive to swap out research, as you will get less out of it the longer you research an unboosted tech/civic. I personally like number 2 better, as it means you will never do much worse by starting research earlier.

Let's do some examples! For the following scenarios, I will describe the results using my two ideas above, identified by their numbers, as well as the current system, identified by the number 0.

Scenario 1
    A tech costs 30 science, and you are producing 1 science per turn. You get a boost before you start research.
    0: Research completes in 18 turns (12 research points received for free before research starts)
    1: Research completes in 18 turns (12 research points received for free before research starts)
    2: Research completes in 18 turns (tech output increased to 1,67 while researching boosted tech)

Scenario 2
    A tech costs 30 science, and you are producing 1 science per turn. You get a boost after researching 30% of the way.
    0: Research completes in 18 turns (12 research points received for free during research)
    1: Research completes in 30 turns (no boost was received, tech received 3 turns later than if you had waited for the boost)
    2: Research completes in 22 turns (9 points were generated without boost, tech output increased to 1,67 for the remaining 13 turns)

Scenario 3

A tech costs 30 science, and you are producing 1 science per turn. You get a boost after researching 50% of the way.
    0: Research completes in 18 turns (12 research points received for during research)
    1: Research completes in 30 turns (no boost was received, but the tech was still received 3 turns earlier than if you had waited)
    2: Research completes in 24 turns (15 points were generated without boost, tech output increased to 1,67 for the remaining 9 turns)

Scenario 4
    A tech costs 30 science, and you are producing 1 science per turn. You get a boost after researching 70% of the way.
    0: Research completes in 21 turns (12 research points received for free after generating the first 21, 3 turns were wasted)
    1: Research completes in 30 turns (no boost was received, but the tech was still received 9 turns earlier than if you had waited)
    2: Research completes in 27 turns (21 research points generated without boost, tech output increased to 1,67 for the remaining 6 turns)

Scenario 5
    A tech costs 30 science, and you are producing 1 science per turn. You get a boost after researching 70% of the way.
    0: Research completes in 27 turns (12 research points received for free after generating the first 27, 9 turns were wasted)
    1: Research completes in 30 turns (no boost was received, but the tech was still received 15 turns earlier than if you had waited)
    2: Research completes in 29 turns (27 research points generated without boost, tech output increased to 1,67 for the remaining 2 turns)

In conclusion:
    • With the current system, you are encouraged to swap out techs/civics after researching 60% of the way
    • With idea number 1, you are encouraged to make a decision up front: either wait for a boost if you think it is coming soon enough, or commit to researching at full cost
    • With idea number 2, you will always get a tech sooner the sooner you start researching it. You will always be rewarded for getting a eureka/inspiration before finishing a tech, although you will be rewarded more the sooner you get it.

legalizefreedom likes this.
  19. Trav'ling Canuck

Interesting thoughts. For those who want to play efficiently, though, #2 simply shifts the decision point to not starting to research a tech before you get the boost.

The reason swapping out after researching 60% works is because, for the most part, it's not about how quickly you get any one particular tech/civic, it's about how quickly you get all the relevant techs/civics for your particular victory objective. The game is so well balanced that, with only a few exceptions, none of the techs/civics are game changers on their own. So it's about maximizing the impact of every science and culture point you generate. Under #2, that means if you don't have a boosted civic/tech to research, you research one you don't expect to get a boost for first, then switch once you get a boost.

20. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

At least early on, the Eurekas can throw up really interesting choices. Depending on the map, you can be forced to hard tech sometimes, or your delaying while you're trying to get a boost but that's actually holding you back, or settle a city to enable some Eureka to be achieved, or be rushing to get some builder or unit to get another Eureka. It's a good system.

I find some Eurekas also get me to look at the game in new ways - I ended up playing around with Aqueducts and Forts a lot just because I had to build them for certain Eurekas.

Aramanesh likes this.