1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Slip de Garcon, Aug 28, 2018.

1. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

In terms of settings, I'm still disappointed that the random map size option available in every previous Civ game has not been enabled.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I still dislike the lack of AI personalities. This became a very engaging element of Civ V to me - learning the civs that were aggressive, which were loyal, which were backstabbers, which disliked certain in-game behaviour and using that to inform diplomacy. Given my nostalgia for earlier Civ games perhaps I should be okay with Civ VI's AIs just being identikit factions with different colours, but I've found it makes it very difficult to stay engaged with the game.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  2. Tarzan737

Tarzan737 Chieftain

Airplanes too slow!! at least double the animation time!

ZubieMaster likes this.
  3. Yavid

Yavid Chieftain

For me it's a few things

1) Warmongering- although long overdo in a civ game can be crushing diplomatically for far to long
    2) Everything about air power
    3) I HATE the trade system in the game. I would completely overhaul it if I had the know how.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

While I can't say agendas contribute to it much, there seems to still be some element of this. For example, I've consistently been backstabbed by Dom Satan and Mvemba, frequently the turn our friendship expires or shortly thereafter. Teddy's done this to me a few times, too. Conversely, despite their agendas, I've found CdM and Cyrus to consistently be loyal friends, ironically.

5. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

While I'd like this to be true, I'm dubious that there's any inclination for one Civ 6 leader to behave any differently from any other. They just complain about different things.

Meluhhan, MisterBoomBoom and Zaarin like this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I certainly don't think agendas have any meaningful difference on how different civs play the game, sadly. The trends I've observed could just be bias or coincidence, but at any rate they've more or less held true in the games I've played. I literally restart if I find Dom Satan near my starting location I've been betrayed by him so many times. :p

7. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

That's very much been my experience. Basically anyone will early rush you, everyone tends to dislike you most of the time, and backstabbing is extremely rare once you do get good relations with someone (then again, getting good relations is comparatively rare at the highest difficulties, in part because the game mechanics don't really encourage you to make the effort. Diplomacy is of very little consequence and minor gamey bonuses from alliances don't alter that). Most civs use the same mixes of military units, all exhibit the same expansion behaviour, all will go for any victory type more or less at random etc. The only thing that seems to promote any kind of consistency is civ bonuses: for instance Korea will always be strong in science, not because the Korean AI has any tendency to prioritise it but just because of passive buffs combined with a minor tendency towards focusing on its own uniques. Ditto Kongo and culture.

Agendas seem to have some influence on a civ's diplomatic status with you (and so makes it easier/harder to ally etc.), but that seems to have very little correlation with their actual in-game behaviour. Civs that soundly hate you seem little or no more likely to go to war than those that are simply unfriendly, for instance - you should basically treat anyone you aren't friendly with as an enemy, and be suspicious of civs that have the green icon but no declared friendship as it can change on a whim. And they certainly don't influence the civ's own behaviour - look at Harald and his love of the player who has one trireme because it's bigger than his Industrial Era navy, for instance.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  8. King Rad

King Rad Chieftain

I agree with all the comments about civs who are allies shouldn't be able to declare war against a city state which you are suz of. And with regard to the civ leaders not following their own agendas. Perfect example of both was Teddy attacking a CS on his continent when we were allies and I was the suz of the CS.

With regard to the unit cycling, like many, I turned this off. I changed the shortcut key to "N" [for next] so I can click that to move to the next unit. I also changed the key for next action to "B" [it's usually a build action anyway] and for next city to "C." This way I can simply use my left hand, in one place on the keyboard, to cycle through units, then through build actions [and next turn if nothing left to build] and cycle through cities if I want/need to do so, since the N, B and C buttons all fall under the index, middle and little fingers.

Aramanesh, Jkchart, cvb and 3 others like this.
  9. FearSunn

FearSunn Chieftain

Firaxis annoys me most. For not fixing issues for months (and years now). For not giving us tools and code to make it possible to fix it ourselves.

10. cvb

cvb Chieftain

I also noticed, that cvbn are cute keys (strong string) ... still I wonder, why you skipped the ring finger - with this little arrow symbol used to center the screen right on the selected item ...

11. gunter

gunter Chieftain

AI having no clue on how to use planes, ships and land units, assuming AI has knowledge of their existence, above all planes.

Aramanesh and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  12. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

I had an interesting thingie happen in regards to city state suzerain issue.
    The Mongols, my allies, attack Brussel which had the Mapuche as suzerain. Not sure if they actually used the CB but the Mapuche declare war on the Mongols which then triggers the alliance and drags me into the war.
    My issue is that had the Mongols directly attacked the Mapuche then the alliance wouldn't have triggered since he is the aggressor. This way he forced me into a war.

13. Naktis

Naktis Chieftain

War...cant have a game without one..roleplay is great but..getting forward settled = war.

Aramanesh and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  14. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

Two main things:

1: Being a big naval power is nearly pointless due to boats not being able to capture non-purely coastal cities.

2: Everything just costs WAY TOO MUCH production in general. Building districts should not take like 60 ******* turns.

Aramanesh and Zaarin like this.
  15. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Battleships have a 3 tile range, 4 with a balloon. Bring along one or two landunits to take the city once the defenses are down.

16. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

This is broad, but late-game dullness would be my answer.

Battleships are so much in the human player's favour that I've more or less stopped using them.

17. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

Maybe unlock each tier of buildings depending on population? So Tier 1 building at pop 6, tier 2 at pop 9, etc.

18. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

That goes for quite a few units.

MisterBoomBoom likes this.
  19. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Having to scroll all the way in to click on a unit instead of selecting the city it's in.

Either that or the movement rules.

Aramanesh likes this.
  20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I like the new movement rules. Much more intuitive to my old grognard brain. Being able to enter a 2 MP hex with 1 MP left drove me nuts in Civ 5.

Now I just need someone to explain to me how desert and tundra can be 1 MP hexes the same as grasslands and plains …