What to look for in tablet computers?

Thats pretty impressive for a gaming tablet. But as far as I know it doesn't accept digitizer input. I also have to draw the line at 2 hours of battery life. Thats just terrible and wouldn't last me through some of my classes.

To be clear, I see access to games as a bonus but not a prerequisite for a tablet. I worry about performance mostly because I want a tablet that won't be so slow that I hate it in 2 years and is fast enough to handle CAD programs and other processor intensive stuff for at least a couple of years as well.

I can't see tablets being powerful enough to play any new game for a few more years. I don't even think the Edge will be much use wrt new games after you've had it for a year.

And that battery life - yikes!

I cannot possibly fathom why anyone would buy a Razor Edge for any reason at its price, but that's not relevant to the topic.

It's interesting though and it's a windows 8 tablet so I don't mind talking about it. We seemed to have covered all the currently or soon to be available options for what I'm looking for, so I don't mind branching out.

So what major issues do you have with it Zack? It's only what, a grand? It seems alright at that cost for everything except battery life and lack of digitizer input. What am I missing that makes it terrible?

Or is the whole 'gaming tablet' concept flawed at this point? I kind of think it is and will be for the next few years. Hell, gaming laptops aren't the greatest things yet and are only half-decent desktop replacements at less-than-murder prices.

It's based on the extremely flawed concept of a "serious gaming tablet".

I can understand the logic behind taking an ultrabook and sticking a graphics card in it; I do not understand the logic behind taking a chunky iPad with no battery life and sticking a mediocre graphics card (and that's being generous) in it. What idiot would buy that thing? It's ability to game and do computer stuff is completely outclassed by cheaper laptops (such as the one I'm typing this on), and it's ability as a tablet is completely outclassed by far cheaper tablets.

Anywho, I decided to wait until I landed an internship to buy one. We have to move to a new apartment this summer, my wife will be laid off and I won't have a job either. So all we will be living off of is unemployment checks and savings.

Dude, you don't want to be buying a 2k piece of electronics right now.

Do win rt tablets all come with office? Or just the surface? Is it just a trial version or what on the surface?

Ok I'm just confused because my MS Office 365 University subscription says it has 4 installs, 2 PC/Mac installs + 2 mobile installs. So if every Win 8 tablet counts as a PC and every RT tablet comes with Office RT, then what is there to install a mobile install on?

Windows phones? Can you even do that?

You can't put it on Android tablets or iOS. Hmm, I guess could it count towards Win 7 tablets? Or were those considered PC's too?

Lol, figures. Oh and with Office 365, you can use MS Office on any PC that is connected to the internet without installing by logging in online, which further degrades the value of mobile installs.

For clarification, when you say windows phones and rt tablets come with office, you mean it's not a trial version that you later have to buy, correct?

don't buy anything unnecessary while you're unemployed :ninja: ... and you have a wife.

don't buy overpriced shiny trays EVAR!!!

don't buy anything unnecessary while you're unemployed :ninja: ... and you have a wife.

don't buy overpriced shiny trays EVAR!!!
You can trust da dick's advice in these matters, as da dick is very wise and mature, as demonstrated by his username.

since i'm getting so much respect here, i'm gonna second buying the Razor Edge.

So we did our taxes and we'll be getting a fat check from the government. I'm definately going to be getting a tablet now and money isn't an issue.

So I have just one general question:
What kinds of things should I be looking for in a tablet?

Any specific or general advice is welcome. I'm computer literate but not an expert and I have never owned or paid much attention to tablets before. I do have an Android smartphone, so I guess I'm not totally clueless about tablets. Still, any general discussion would be appreciated.
In my opinion I will look games and music apps along with how well it is in connectivity. For this I got galaxy tab and it is awesome

If you are unemployed, it's not advisable to waste money on unnecessary gadgets and then expect us who have jobs and work for a living to support you.

I am by no means rich, many would call me poor but I do work for what I have or want.

Top Bottom