What to look for in tablet computers?

If you are unemployed, it's not advisable to waste money on unnecessary gadgets and then expect us who have jobs and work for a living to support you.

I am by no means rich, many would call me poor but I do work for what I have or want.

I see someome didn't read the thread but felt like passing judgement.

Yea you're right. I only read the last page and it painted a negative picture, I guess.

This is what I saw

So we did our taxes and we'll be getting a fat check from the government. I'm definately going to be getting a tablet now and money isn't an issue.

don't buy anything unnecessary while you're unemployed :ninja: ... and you have a wife.

So it sounded to me that (A) You were unemployed and (B) Basically the government was going to be paying for your tablet.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

What is the real appeal of tablets over lets say a laptop or even a netbook? They don't seem to have as many options or features. They just seem like very dumbed down bare essentials type of machines.

Maybe I don't see the appeal in them that much because I dislike touch based interfaces due to my bad hand eye coordination making them hard for me to use.

What is the real appeal of tablets over lets say a laptop or even a netbook? They don't seem to have as many options or features. They just seem like very dumbed down bare essentials type of machines.

Maybe I don't see the appeal in them that much because I dislike touch based interfaces due to my bad hand eye coordination making them hard for me to use.

Well, netbooks are essentially dead as a category.

Tablets are more portable than laptops and stomp them in battery life. 10+ hours of battery life for watching movies on trips and planes is awesome.

They are glorified SmartPhones. Anything a smartphone does, they do better but not as well as a PC.

Honestly, ppl in this age need to learn how to turn off and disconnect. We need to break away from the hive mind hysteria and leave time to be alone with our thoughts.

They are glorified SmartPhones. Anything a smartphone does, they do better but not as well as a PC.

Honestly, ppl in this age need to learn how to turn off and disconnect. We need to break away from the hive mind hysteria and leave time to be alone with our thoughts.

I think tablets are somewhat of a fad. I don't see why people think they will REPLACE PCs. I view that as hype. Maybe replacing the PDA but not the PC.

No, my tablet is quite clearly better than a PC for watching movies and TV on planes.

I think tablets are somewhat of a fad. I don't see why people think they will REPLACE PCs. I view that as hype. Maybe replacing the PDA but not the PC.

They are a fad.

They can replace PCs because if you have a Surface Pro, it is a PC. If you're at home, you can plug your keyboard/mouse/monitor into it and use it like a PC.

I know where you are going with this. If you continue down this line of debate I will start reporting your posts. This isn't the Tommy 'I think tablets are a fad' Vercetti thread. Please leave now, you have nothing to add to this discussion about choosing a tablet and all you are going to do is repeat the above quoted post 5 thousand times.

Why do you think it will always be this way. It won't even be this way for very long. I get that you have an axe to grind but you could at least acknowledge that technology advances very rapidly.

Luckily I live in 2013 not some distant dark future when every waking minute is tethered to your smartphone... Oh wait, you already are.

Luckily you can turn it off. Go complain about the digitilization of legal procedures, that's at least a real thing.

So have there been any new tablet computers with the kinds of specs I'm looking for?

Win 8
Stylus input (Wacom preferably or an equivalent)
Decently fast
With a keyboard or at least a keyboard dock
Decent battery life (at least 5 hours)

The surface pro, sony duo and the thinkpad helix are all top contenders. Any other suggestions?

I got a jerb and went for the Sony Vaio Duo13. The Helix has some lackluster reviews, the Sony had overall good ones. Most of the complaints on the Duo is about the keyboard and it could be better but it's not horrible. The Helix was also unpowered/underperforming in my opinion but it was cheaper.

I'm really digging the Duo though, it's got everything I wanted and then some.

Top Bottom