What Victory Condition are we Working Toward?

Bill_in_PDX

Grumpy Submariner
A great conversation is occuring in chiefpaco's Free Speech thread, which you can access here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22842

With the pending elections and change of Presidency upon us, I call upon all Phoeneticans to come forward and let your voices be heard. Will we continue our military conquest ways? Pursue cultural domination? Or some other victory?

Now is the perfect time to debate this issue, and in turn to evaluate our Term 3 candidates on their approach to this fundamental question.

Bill
...in PDX

Gotta disagree with you there, Dis. I never have liked the Diplomatic Victory. I think we should take some more land and develop and populate it to win with a Cultural.

I would like to pursue a cultural victory as well. This is why should have this debate.

I too enjoy having a Grande Armee about, and there seems to be this conquering attitude in the cabinet. This doesn't synch up well with my recollection of our stated goals prior to the beginning of the game.

Seems like a good time to build consensus on this, the most basic of our nation's goals.

Bill
....in PDX

Hey Bill. Maybe you could talk someone into registering this question with the INQUISITORS thread...

Naturally, I am all in favor of pursuing a Cultural Victory. Although we have been involved in (and successfully, I might add) in many wars, we have not started any, and don't intend to. Therefore, I think the cultural path most closely fits our New National Destiny.

I suggest a cultural win through miltary and diplomatic means.;)

You know, invade... make peace,....invade again..., that routine:D

Originally posted by Shaitan
I'd be happy to pursue anything except conquest or domination.

I am in total agreement with the Foreign Affairs minister here. My preferance would be cultural or diplomatic.

I also like the idea of cultural by some degree of militaristic, diplomatic, and cultural pressure.

Building a FP in Thebes will allow us a new centre of our empire. I think we should immediately move to gain valuable lands around the new centre by putting the most cultural and diplomatic pressure on the foreign empires around it. If, by the time the FP is built, we have not expanded, we should take some measures to gain it in other, more immediate ways. For this, I think we should be fosucing on gathering knights for the eventual re-outfitting with guns, once our scientists make this a reality & patrol those lands when the Aztec war is over.

This will likely impede on Greek and Iroquois territory, perhaps the Chinese as well, but will benefit us most in the long run.

That is my futuristic vision.

We are well on our way to a cultural victory, IMO, though at this stage we could probably go for any victory we wished. Diplo would be easy if we simply bribed everyone, or even get everyone else to ally against a scrape goat near the end. It's hard to say which is the hardest. They all seem possible. Space & diplo could take longer though due to the necessary techs.

Originally posted by disorganizer
why not just post a poll for it?

Actually, before we poll, I was hopeful that we would hear from our presidential candidates on their proposals.

Bill
...in PDX

I'd like every citizen to participate in this thread rather than a poll. I'm not sure such poll would be binding, but it might give a perspective of what the citizenry feels at a certain time. As we see here, there are some different opinions of where we should go, but many different opinions on how we should get there. I think a feel for our direction can be made here.

I will always encourage discussion on topics like these. I'd love to see updated thoughts, if citizens change their minds. For leaders, I think it is very important to share their views on where they would like to take us. For everyone, it is a chance to debate perhaps our most important decision.

Top Bottom