What web browser do you use/favorite?

What web browser do you use?

• Total voters
Full screen at home (17" / 1280x1020), and some smaller size at work that fits CFC just fine (23" widescreen, can't remember resolution). At work the window probably looks like it would fit a 15" widescreen snugly.

Are there even any websites that make that resolution useful? Seems like a waste of screen space :dunno:

Still primarily an Opera user and have no plans to change that in the near future. Still waiting for other browsers to implement 1-key shortcuts, or some other even more useful feature.

I do use Firefox 3.6 some, though. It's my browser for sites that require a whitelisted browser, which almost always includes Firefox. Haven't had to use IE for a long time. I also use it for sites that are noticeably better in a supported browser, such as some Windows Live sites that play nicer with Firefox than with Opera, and with Offline GMail, which sadly does not work with Firefox 4 and is why I'm sticking with 3.6 for the time being. Otherwise I'd be using Firefox 4 for these sites. Opera I have up-to-date.

On my mobile phone I use Opera Mobile, but I hardly ever use the Internet on my phone. Even so, Opera Mobile was noticeably better than whatever it came with.

As I run XP, I'm unable to try IE9. But with all the other browsers supporting XP, it would be silly to upgrade for a browser even if IE9 actually were slightly better than the competition.

I only have used IE in the past few months if I need to log in to a second google account or if I need to view a word/excel/powerpoint file online.

For the second Google (or other service account), you can just use a private tab in most browsers and not have to open another browser.

Also nice explanation of why Vista was disliked and XP is liked. While I could point to many more specific factors, that certainly was a part of it.

How big do people here set their browser to? Full screen? Windowed (resolution/size)?

I use full screen a high majority of the time, except when it's useful to be able to see both what's in a tab and what's in Notepad++ or some other program I'm working with, or perhaps if I'm in a lot of IM conversations, when I might have AIM Lite along the side. That's 1280x800. IMO full screen looks nicer than windowed, so if I'm only using one window at the time, I prefer to have it full-screen.

Are there even any websites that make that resolution useful? Seems like a waste of screen space :dunno:

CFC does a good, if not perfect, job of making higher resolution useful, at least with most themes. But it is annoying that a lot of sites never go wider than 800 or 1024 pixels.

Always full screen except when gaming, sometimes I have to drop down to 1024x768 or whatever for better performance or because the game I'm playing doesn't support widescreen well or simply has no option for larger resolution.

Yeah, I agree. I can use the other half of my screen for other things, rather than giant white spaces. I used to make fun of those widget sidebar things but on a big screen they're pretty neat.

With Win7's snap feature it's pretty easy to utilize the extra space.

I use my other monitors for widgets and other things.
Couldn't you use 2 or 3 windows open at the same time, across both your monitors, so you can browse several websites at once? I mean, rather than using tabs you could use windows, with so much screen space...

Couldn't you use 2 or 3 windows open at the same time, across both your monitors, so you can browse several websites at once? I mean, rather than using tabs you could use windows, with so much screen space...

Yeah, I do sometimes, generally when I have something up for reference to something I'm doing on my primary monitor, in which case I'll bring it over to a secondary monitor.

I switched to Firefox soon after getting used to the online existence, but when Chrome came out I went after it. I like it most for its simplicity, but there are nights when it and Flash/Shockwave do not get along and I have to resort to Firefox.

Top Bottom